Should I harness train my cat?

Shawna87

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I adopted a handsome sweet boy last December. He will be one next month and he’s an absolute joy in our house. However he’s extremely smart. Don’t get me wrong it’s amazing to see how smart he is but because he seems so much smarter then my other two he seems to get bored a lot easier. I have a cat tree, tunnels, window ledge, cat scratchers, lots of toys, and even a bird feeder for him. He enjoys them all but still gets bored. I want to help with his mental stimulation but am unsure what I can for that. We live in a very small house so I am limited to how much I can fit inside. I’m wondering if hardness training him would be beneficial so he can be mentally stimulated when I take him outside. My concern with this though is him getting spooked and running away, bringing in ticks and fleas, and my other two wanting to go outside since he is. Does anyone have any recommendations for a cat who needs extra mental stimulation? Would hardness training be a good idea? Thank you in advance!!

Attachments

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have any experience with cat harnesses, but the first question I would ask is, what kind of environment do you have outside your home?

I.e., is there lots of commotion, or is it relatively quiet? Are there hazards nearby (like roads with regular traffic)? Are there woods that he could disappear into? Etc.

None of these things would mean the answer is no, but I would just consider your environment first to at least gauge how difficult it might be.

Also, what is your cat's temperament like? Does he scare easily? Etc.

I have heard great things about harness training a cat, and that cats can get a lot of enrichment out of it. But I have also read stories of cats getting loose and disappearing. As others have said on this forum, when scared enough, a cat can wriggle out of absolutely anything.

All that being said, I would personally do it if my cat were younger, and I lived in a different environment (I currently live in a big city).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shawna87

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't have any experience with cat harnesses, but the first question I would ask is, what kind of environment do you have outside your home?

I.e., is there lots of commotion, or is it relatively quiet? Are there hazards nearby (like roads with regular traffic)? Are there woods that he could disappear into? Etc.

I live in the country with several acres around us of just woods and farmlands. We have a roar but it’s a dirt road that not many people go down. We do have woods nearby but also coyotes in the woods.

None of these things would mean the answer is no, but I would just consider your environment first to at least gauge how difficult it might be.

Also, what is your cat's temperament like? Does he scare easily? Etc.

He loves to explore new things but he can get spooked of loud things. Like the vacuum he runs and hides whenever he comes.

I have heard great things about harness training a cat, and that cats can get a lot of enrichment out of it. But I have also read stories of cats getting loose and disappearing. As others have said on this forum, when scared enough, a cat can wriggle out of absolutely anything.

All that being said, I would personally do it if my cat were younger, and I lived in a different environment (I currently live in a big city).

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think cats should be trained to the harness, even if never taken outside. A harness trained cat is easier to control when traveling to the vet, moving to a new home and during emergencies. In these circumstances, the harness is just one layer of security. Cats should also be trained to their carriers.

Of course, every cat is a law unto itself and level of success will vary from cat to cat.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I understand, harness training begins indoors, and it's not like you would take your cat outside right away. You could definitely pick out a harness now, and get your cat started with it inside, and just see how he responds to it in general as a first step.

RainBoots

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We are having the same debate in our household; we don't want our girl to want to go outside, but she could use new stimulus. Right now, we have settled in some treat puzzles and training her on simple commands.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely agree that harness training is a good idea even if it doesn't prove feasible to walk him. Another thought - would a catio be possible? For indoors, have you tried "cat TV" for him to watch?

And yes, he will get ticks and fleas outside - you'll need to use preventatives for him. (Probably a good idea even if he doesn't go out; fleas' life cycle is only briefly on the cat, their eggs are on the ground and floor mostly.)

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
100% agree that harness training and crate training is important. For all the reasons.mentioned above.

Clicker training may work for your cat as well!

If you have a realitively safe way to take him out and he enjoys it, it could be a good idea. We have a fenced patio as part of our rental.. previously we had a balcony.

You can also bring the outside to him in a way of a bird feeder outside a window.

Desensitization training is great for things like the vacuum by the way. I highly recommend. He's young so it should work well. We used treats but also just having the vacuum around and off, then around and on briefly but not moving. And then finally normal vacuuming. Of course, we needed to do normal vacuums even when doing the training.

We also got a smaller quieter vacuum for this and are still working on our newest cat and the big vacuum. That one's still a bit spooky to everyone.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh I should add play can be a good motivational tool too for the vacuum. And it builds confidence!

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with everyone about harness training him. I would harness train (all of your cats) and train them them to their carriers. I would do this with all of your cats even if none of them ever go outside for purposes of having them ready for any type of emergency. I've heard about cats that weren't harness or carrier trained (in this instance the carrier is what they should have been trained to) and there was a house fire. She couldn't get her cats into their carriers they all hid when she tried to get them in their carrier. She had to leave them in the house. Thank God they were ok.. she got lucky that none of them were injured and extremely lucky none of them perished in the fire.
So harness and carrier training is a plus no matter what.

Mental stimulation you can add inside would be food puzzles and even a snuffle mat. I also attached a link for a mouse toy that has a pocket area for treats. But here are a few different puzzles and 2 different snuffle mat types
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W9KDJ5B/?tag=thecatsite

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09SV3QNDR/?tag=thecatsite

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FMWZ964/?tag=thecatsite

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09Y43NKTT/?tag=thecatsite

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N1JYYCW/?tag=thecatsite

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09SVVTD2G/?tag=thecatsite

I hope you find one of these that you might like to get for your kitties 😊 they are very mentally stimulating.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to take my last cats for walks etc. But I haven't harness trained any of my cats now. I was thinking about it, but haven't gotten round to it. Quinn is very skittish so I would never take him for walks. Zena and Merlin are formal outdoors. I'm not sure how they would react to a leash. Someone just lost their cat and posted here the first time she took him for a walk in a park. I would not risk it if it were me, but for emergencies it may be good for them to be ok with it. My cats all hate the carriers and Merlin is the only one who is really food motivated so I am not sure they can be trained to them.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to take my last cats for walks etc. But I haven't harness trained any of my cats now. I was thinking about it, but haven't gotten round to it. Quinn is very skittish so I would never take him for walks. Zena and Merlin are formal outdoors. I'm not sure how they would react to a leash. Someone just lost their cat and posted here the first time she took him for a walk in a park. I would not risk it if it were me, but for emergencies it may be good for them to be ok with it.
Honestly my baby is scared to be outside so I don't take her for walks although I'd love to but she wants none of it. She is trained on a harness and leash just incase there is ever an emergency. Also doesn't hurt that she is because we almost had a fire in June. We didn't and I got to the breaker box in time and grabbed the fire extinguisher just incase.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This thread has made me want to try to harness-train Willy. He's 10 years old so I don't know how it would go, but it's a fairly inexpensive thing to try.

I live in a big city so the outside environment is not ideal. However, I live in an apartment building with long, safe hallways (there are two closed doors between the hallways and outside), and Willy is obsessed with venturing out there whenever he gets the opportunity to squeeze through the door. I let him explore out there sometimes when I know it's safe, while keeping an eye on him.

I could take him on walks with a harness around the hallways and main lobby area, which would be more stimulating than just sitting in my apartment, and he could get a little more exercise. I want to give this a shot, now.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think this is a great topic and am happy I read it. I have only harnessed trained one cat, but now see the importance of it should there be an emergency. I appreciate the OP and everyone who's responded. When I get my Savannah (and yes, DH, he is coming) that will be one of the first things on the agenda. As for the rest of the crew, I would love to teach them, though they won't be going outside.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here are a couple of links to help harness train your kitty. I hope you have a wonderful experience. It will take plenty of patience and consistency. The main thing is to go at the pace of your kitty. Some steps may take a day or two while others may take a week or longer. At least that is how it went for me. I don't know if a week is long or not for harness training but we got there and so can you. 😀

RTR

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with Cat McCannon! I always keep the carrier where the cats sleep open and with a blanket in it! They are so used to it they have no problem being put into it. I would also keep the harness where they sleep too, they will get used to the scent! Cats are creatures of habit and they "Hate!" change. Good luck!

cejhome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our previous kitty, Nilla loved to go out with her harness and leash. For her, it really didn't even involve training. She was very interested in going outside, so I figured I could give it a try. I didn't want her to be a door dasher. I bought a MetPet harness (Google "MetPet"). I put it on her the first time with no problem, opened the front door and off we went. That first time, she stuck close to the house, but was not afraid, just cautious. She didn't slink, she was just on alert. Next day she was at the front door yelling at me to take her out. Tail up high, all over the place. Climbed a tree as far as I would let her, had a great time. She actually started to hold up her head so I could buckle the clip for the neck part of the harness. She would stay perfectly still for me so I could get the harness on her quickly and go go go! She was on Revolution Plus, so no issue with fleas or ticks. We stayed to our yard - front and back. She was a very smart, active cat that easily figured out things by association. She was an only cat. No other cat we have ever had over the years had any desire to go outside.

She got out one time all by herself, but it didn't cause any issues. I didn't notice - we were having renovations to our kitchen and laundry room being done (tub leak from upstairs ruined the ceiling). I was doing laundry in the garage (contractor made a box to catch the dryer lint) - I had cracked the garage door for a little relief from the heat. I didn't think it was enough room for her to squeeze under. Next thing I know - I was looking out the kitchen window to the back yard - she was up in a small tree by my bird feeder! I calmly went around back and plucked her out of the tree and brought her back in.

I learned my lesson - do NOT skip her daily walk! She gave me a good look like she was saying "well if you won't take me out, I'll take myself out".

I do think that since she was comfortable being outside, she didn't panic at all and was fine and dandy.

Our current kitty, Buddy, nope. He is not scared of outside, but the only time he got out (front door was not shut tight and I was out there. He could see me through the window and wanted to be with me), he just wanted to be with me, no interest in outside otherwise. He was a stray as a young cat. He was not scared of outside at all.

Its an individual cat thing, totally depends on the cat. I would not force it on a cat. It depends on their temperament and their attitude towards the outside, etc.

If you decide to try to use a harness, be very, very careful to make sure you have it tight enough so your cat can't slip out. Follow the directions carefully!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shawna87

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think cats should be trained to the harness, even if never taken outside. A harness trained cat is easier to control when traveling to the vet, moving to a new home and during emergencies. In these circumstances, the harness is just one layer of security. Cats should also be trained to their carriers.

Of course, every cat is a law unto itself and level of success will vary from cat to cat.
I’ve actually taken him and by other cat to the vet in a hardness and they do great! They also love their carrier and fight over who gets to go in. I need to work on my new kitten with the hardness but he’s already adjusted to the carrier. Thank you for help!