Should I Go To A Different Vet?

luciferthepirate

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat fell two stories last night. I've been monitoring him and he seems fine now, is eating, using his box, walking around, etc. He's got three legs so it's hard to tell if he's limping though, and I'm afraid he may have suffered internal injuries, so I want to take him to the vet.

I called to make an appointment and asked if they had everything to check for fall injuries and the receptionist didn't seem to know. She did say they could do x-rays, but not ultrasounds, and that our vet could send us somewhere if there's something else we need. Their site says they also have a vet diagnostic lab and laser therapy. But my cat is absolutely terrified of strangers and I really don't want to put him through the stress of driving around to different vets just so I have a peace of mind.

So, what do I need to check that everything's okay? Do I need an x-ray? Ultrasound? Something else? Should I just take him to an emergency vet (assuming they have everything)?

I did end up making an appointment for Monday. It's been less than 24 hours so maybe that's why I'm still paranoid that there's something wrong, but if he still seems fine by the weekend, should I cancel? Any signs besides lethargy, loss of appetite, and litter box issues that I should be looking out for?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would ask the vet if starting with an x-ray is enough - it is my understanding that it should be. Most issues should would show up to some degree on an x-ray, and if need be might need to be followed up with an ultrasound.

Also, ask the vet if you need an appointment just to have an x-ray taken. It might be possible to take your buddy in just for the x-ray, and then you can go to the appointment on Monday as needed. Getting an x-ray sooner rather than later would help speed up the process if by chance something showed up that was concerning.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I hope that your kitty is okay. It is not uncommon, even around here, for vets not to own their ultrasound equipment but rather to schedule an outside ultrasound company to come in, so don't hold that against them. In my case, the ultrasound people come to the vet, we don't go to them, so it is the same office. An MRI would be different, or some more complicated procedure.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I would ask the vet if starting with an x-ray is enough - it is my understanding that it should be. Most issues should would show up to some degree on an x-ray, and if need be might need to be followed up with an ultrasound.
:yeah: Ditto!

I did end up making an appointment for Monday. It's been less than 24 hours so maybe that's why I'm still paranoid that there's something wrong, but if he still seems fine by the weekend, should I cancel? Any signs besides lethargy, loss of appetite, and litter box issues that I should be looking out for?
I would suggest asking these questions to your vet. They have your cat's medical history/records and assuming you trust their expertise can guide you in the right direction.

Please keep us posted on your cat's progress. Keeping my fingers crossed for you and sending special thoughts. :crossfingers:

FrankieNMurphy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would absolutely get x-rays done - small fractures and concussions need to be discovered. Is he sleeping a lot more than usual?
What? Did he think he could fly?? 2 stories on 3 legs? Is that how he lost the other leg? You may want to buy him some wings! :flail:

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, two cats in the family fell like that - one from the 3rd floor, the other--I kid you not--from the 7th floor. And he fell TWICE. Nothing happened just to prove cats can be immortal until it's their time. I still can't believe it.

Anyway, x-rays in Istanbul is not the standard procedure. Not to say it's the best way and things might be different with 3 legs but, here they listen to the lungs to check if there is any fluid build up. And they do a physical exam. If anything looks suspicious then they ask for x-rays. Otherwise they don't. They tell you to keep an eye on the cat and bring him back if you see anything abnormal.

Again not to say this is the right way to go. Just if they don't ask for x-rays or alike after a physical exam, it may not be because they don't have the machine.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I just (Last Friday) has a 9 week old kitten fall 15-20 feet out of a maple tree. I am astounded that she is fine (playing, eating, wanting attention, running, etc.). Cats are the most resilient creature in the animal kingdom, I swear!

Give it the weekend. As long as he is acting normal and his gums looks nice and pink, I would cancel the appointment. Of course, I'm not a vet, so feel free to at the very least call and explain the situation and see what your vet would have you do if he is acting fine.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
There was a cat in my neighborhood when I was a kid who was called Splat...not his original name. One day he treed himself up to quite a height and refused to come down no matter what anyone did....fathers getting on ladders, kids trying to climb up, the fire deparment coming out. Finally he jumped and was fine and that is how he got his nickname. I am not making light of your predicament and feel you should do whatever is necessary to ensure that your cat is okay, but they are amazing in that respect.