Should I give my cat xanax for an 8 hour flight

Scratchy22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone. I am in a big dilemma. My cat gets EXTREMELLY stressed in his carrier and he will need to go on an 8 hour flight to Canada in August. Today he was at the vet to get his shots and there was blood everywhere because he wouldnt stand still for a blood test. In general he is very vocal and in past travels he meows for HOURS before calming down. Its a really stressful journey for me, my parents and for everyone.in the plane. I asked the vet and she told me I can give him xanax. Now on the internet there are many people against that. What do you cat experts think I should do? He will meow for hours, hurt himself by pushing himself on the carrier , try to get out and sometimes pant... what do I do.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Can you get the xanax from your vet to give a trial dose? It would be good to know how he reacts before you make the actual flight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Scratchy22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you get the xanax from your vet to give a trial dose? It would be good to know how he reacts before you make the actual flight.
Hey , I have some at home since i have generalized anxiety disorder. I asked the vet about the dosage and she told me I can give him 0.5 (seems abit high to me as thats a dosage that would have an effect on me). I can try and give him a 0.25 and see how it goes

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Vets can prescribe you the correct dosage, if your vet suggested it ask for an rx and get it filled online
also Gabapentin is used to calm and slightly sedate cats- ask your vet about that too. I wouldnt give my own dosage and assume how to much to give.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I weigh 125 lbs and I take .5 mg when I need it, so I am wondering about that dosage. For any tranquilizer, especially one where there might be some disagreement, I would either talk to the vet again and tell her your concerns or ask another vet.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did she prescribe Xanax for your cat or give dosing instructions? Benzos can slow breathing and drop blood pressure and can be dangerous to take too much of, so definitely as your vet all the right questions if she’s going to prescribe Xanax to your cat.

I’ve honestly not heard of benzos being given for travel anxiety in cats though. Ask her about gabapentin or trazadone too, those are the most common ones.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This says the dosage for a cat is .125-.25 mg every 12-24 hours. They must metabolize it differently than humans do. That's not unusual.
Xanax For Dogs and Cats: Dosage, Side Effects, And Alternatives

I'd all the vet again to make sure it's really safe to give him .5 mg.

This is providing he'll be travelling in the cabin with you, where you can keep an eye on him. If he has to fly in the cargo hold, don't give him anything or he won't be able to thermoregulate.

Last edited by a moderator:

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would use gabapentin instead, it would be safer.

Scratchy22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys dont worry I wont give him 0.5. I asked my doctor about it and he said i should give him 1/10th of 0.5. I tried another relaxant in the past perhaps one of those you have mentioned but he had an allergic reaction and his eyes were red so I dont want to risk it. Xanax is a relatively safe drug in low doses if the animal is healthy and I will give him a test dose today of 1/10th of 0.5

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Have you ever tried Feliway or another calming product with him? You can get the Feliway in a spray rather than the diffuser. Spray the inside of the carrier and blankets or bed ahead of time. Make sure it's dry before you put the cat in. It doesn't work for every cat, but it can't hurt to try it.

Scratchy22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you ever tried Feliway or another calming product with him? You can get the Feliway in a spray rather than the diffuser. Spray the inside of the carrier and blankets or bed ahead of time. Make sure it's dry before you put the cat in. It doesn't work for every cat, but it can't hurt to try it.
Hey yeah I have tried Feliway, it doesnt work