Should I Give My Cat Up? Please Help

trizzo0309

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here’s a long story short.

I got a cat from off the street about two years ago, he was born and raised with my roommates two cats who were around his age and became friends. The roommates moved out and took their cats with them, leaving my cat.

It’s been about three months and he clearly misses his old friends. He’s just not the same cat. Not as playful or happy, you can tell.

On occassion I let him stay at my old roommates apartment with his two cat friends and he has a blast with them and his friends.

Am I being selfish by keeping my cat? He is mine and it would break my heart to let him go with my roommates but his happiness really does mean a lot to me.

What do you all think? It’s a really big decision that insight would be appreciated.

inkxpencil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't want to be in your situation! I don't think you are being selfish for wanting to keep your cat. You clearly love him a lot. Truthfully I think either way your cat will be missing someone. If you keep him he will miss his friends, if your old roommates take him then he will be missing you. I personally couldn't give my cat up.

Have you thought of getting another cat of a similar age as a companion for him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trizzo0309

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I appreciate your reply. To add to the already shortened version of the story: we actually got him a friend which caused all of this.

Back in March when we lived with the roommates we decided to get our cat another buddy from a rescue. The new cat is very territorial and would isolate our old cat to our kitchen. We got a cat behaviorist to come and put a gate up, dividing our apartment in two for each. It’s been better but you can just tell our old cat isn’t as happy living this way.

I wouldn't want to be in your situation! I don't think you are being selfish for wanting to keep your cat. You clearly love him a lot. Truthfully I think either way your cat will be missing someone. If you keep him he will miss his friends, if your old roommates take him then he will be missing you. I personally couldn't give my cat up.

Have you thought of getting another cat of a similar age as a companion for him?