Should I Give Her Up For Adoption? I Really Don't Know What To Do :(

cmf1011

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I got Luna (12 week old kitten) last week and so far things have not been the best. I've been trying to keep her in my room but at this point I can no longer do that because she cries and scratches at my door and obviously I can't keep her in my room all day while I'm at school or somewhere else. And I haven't been able to have a successful introduction between her and my resident cat Noodles (Age 5) because noodles is too afraid of her. Since I can't have her locked up in room all day I have to let her out during the day so she can run around, but she attacks my older cat alot. Noodles hisses and hits at Luna when she chases her and shes not comfortable coming downstairs because she is scared. My family members won't help me with this so I'm very much on my own. Tonight my dad got nasty with me that he doesn't like that Noodles is scared to come downstairs to come to him, and that I should "just keep her in your room". Unfortunately, my father is an absolute moronic asshole and doesn't know what he's talking about or how these things work. I love Noodles very much and I hate seeing her stressed so much and I love Luna and I understand she is just a kitten and she just wants to adventure and play. It's weird to me because we got Noodles around the same age but she liked to sleep lot. Not much play. Maybe I went into this with the wrong expectations of her. I feel like I've done every I could do. This is causing me much stress and at this point a grave amount of sadness. I don't know what to do.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I'm sorry things are so rough for you!
If you can, try and do some of these things, like gently rubbing a soft cloth on the kitten and then rubbing that cloth on the older cat.
Also have each cat sleep on a blanket, and then swap the blankets, and back and forth a couple times.
I don't know if you'll have time, though, if your dad is getting this upset. Are family members also getting upset about her crying in your room? If not, you'll need to keep her there. Try a ticking clock, and also low volume classical harp music to hopefully help calm her a little bit.

How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cmf1011

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I'm sorry things are so rough for you!
If you can, try and do some of these things, like gently rubbing a soft cloth on the kitten and then rubbing that cloth on the older cat.
Also have each cat sleep on a blanket, and then swap the blankets, and back and forth a couple times.
I don't know if you'll have time, though, if your dad is getting this upset. Are family members also getting upset about her crying in your room? If not, you'll need to keep her there. Try a ticking clock, and also low volume classical harp music to hopefully help calm her a little bit.

How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips
My brother is also getting annoyed with her crying and scratching in my room.. I have to leave early in the morning for either work or school and he's usually still sleeping and he's very sensitive to noises and he gets annoyed at me. Also its hard for him to pay attention when hes doing work and when shes crying its very distracting to him. He already has hard time concentrating and it only makes it worse for him. I had a serious discussion about this with my family and how I can't be the only one trying to make this work and that I need help. I'm going to keep trying everything I have learned over the next month or so and see if they're any better with each other. If not I pay need to consider putting her up for adoption.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Let us know how things go, and if you have any more questions. Please know that we are cheering you on that this works out!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If by chance you can, see if your brother would be ok using Mack's earplugs (they aren't typical) or noise cancelling headphones temporarily while you get things worked out.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry to hear things aren't going so well. But, it is very early in the game, and over time it will likely get better - with the right 'training' and some patience. Is it possible that you could print the articles that Furballsmom Furballsmom provided to you and share them with your family? Maybe if they understood that with enacting such advice, it is possible to overcome the problems you/they are all facing?