Should I Give Back My Cat?

yobroski

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, so we got this kitten a while ago. He is pretty small, is yellow, and has black spots and stripes. The people at the pound told us he was a tabby short hair- but then on our papers they called him a he and a she in some areas, so I'm not sure how much those people actually cared. Anyway, he got identified by a vet and a professional breeder as a Bengal. Now I'm really mad, because I was reading online about Bengals, and apparently they don't make good pets. I should've expected this though, because at the pound all kinds of people were trying to get him and had called in about him, and I knew he looked like a Bengal. And before you try to say I could only get one from a breeder, thats what I thought too until now, and he is a bengal, or at least a bengal mix. I don't know how this happened- but it did. Hes been sweet- but he also is feisty, and I'm afraid he will get worse as he gets older, as the websites online have said. And there is a policy at this specific pound that we can bring him back any time. Should I do it? Hes pretty and I really like how sweet he is- I fear how he will behave once he is older.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You should treat everything you read online with a grain of salt. I'm not sure why they say Bengals don't make good pets. They may be a bit more energetic than usual, but that's easily handled with lots of attention, mental stimulation and phusical exercise. As long as you are willing to commit to caring for a pet (any pet, not just Bengals), you will be richly rewarded.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also if he is fixed while still fairly a kitten, it'll help with any male kitty issues, such as spraying, fights with other cats, trying to escape and find a mate, etc. All these behaviors occur in any unfixed male cats not just a Bengal. I think it is really pretty strange that you got a bengal/bengal mix from a shelter and they did not know it. Those cats are extra special and harder to come by then most common purebreds. I think as long as you treat him as you would any kitty, with kindness and love and plenty of playtime, he should do quite well. Do not let him or any other kitty play with your hands or feet, as when they get older they will still do as they did when they were little, and it will hurt much more than and not be cute with full grown cat teeth. By any chance could you post a picture of him? I have a particular soft spot for tabbies, especially spotted ones. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yobroski

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also if he is fixed while still fairly a kitten, it'll help with any male kitty issues, such as spraying, fights with other cats, trying to escape and find a mate, etc. All these behaviors occur in any unfixed male cats not just a Bengal. I think it is really pretty strange that you got a bengal/bengal mix from a shelter and they did not know it. Those cats are extra special and harder to come by then most common purebreds. I think as long as you treat him as you would any kitty, with kindness and love and plenty of playtime, he should do quite well. Do not let him or any other kitty play with your hands or feet, as when they get older they will still do as they did when they were little, and it will hurt much more than and not be cute with full grown cat teeth. By any chance could you post a picture of him? I have a particular soft spot for tabbies, especially spotted ones. :)
well yeah, it is really strange, but I think its because I live in Casper Wyoming, and the city doesnt give much money to clean up its streets, none the less to the pound it owns. Besides, he was found near a farm and didnt have any papers, so there was no way they could say he was anything other than a short hair. As for him being out in the middle of nowhere, a lot of people in Wyoming dont care about animals and throw them out in the country all the time. For instance, there were Siamese and Himalayan cats in the pound, but could not be identified as such due to being abandoned without papers. But yeah, I'll send you a picture of him. Hes cute!!! :)

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Most of what you have read is likely concerning the early generations of the breed. These do tend to have more behavioral issues because they are closet to their wild ancestor. The others were likely neutered later in life (or are still intact) and have not been raised or socialized appropriately.

We have one such mix in our rescue. He was intact when we acquired him at 18 months of age and appears to have been raised roughly. He has been with us for a year and a half and has mellowed out a fair amount. Still has some biting issues, but that as also greatly improved by giving him structure and an enriching environment.

How old is your kitten?

If he is super sweet right now, I wouldn't expect a drastic change in behavior unless he was allowed to remain intact, developed a medical issue, was allowed to play aggressively, or was abused (I don't foresee the latter being an issue here!)

As previously mentioned, he's likely to need more stimulation than a "typical" cat (though not always the case). Bengals LOVE heights, so some tall cat trees or wall shelving is something I would suggest. This will help burn off some energy too. Also, scheduled play sessions using toys like Da Bird or Neko Flies (both can be bought online) will help as well.

Based on your current assessment, I don't see any reason to return him. Though, that is completely your decision.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yobroski

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well he is 9 weeks. The pound originally thought he was 11 weeks (yet another mistake) and he turned out to be only 9 weeks (about to be 10 weeks now) I think he is a sweetie, plays nice and gentle with my rats and the other cat, but is still kinda rough with humans. For instance, he is stalking and pouncing on my feet as I write this. (Claws included) All in all though, hes really sweet and Ive decided to keep him. Thank you for your adcice! :)

picklespepper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know anything about Bengals but sometimes it also takes a kitten awhile to settle into a new home.  Ours have been here about 2 weeks now (they're about the same age as yours) and they're finally starting to act like we're part of their family.  They still get a bit skittish sometimes but are coming more and more for cuddles.  They weren't properly socialized when I got them (they were barn cats) but I played with them and would get them used to being handled (while they were eating I would pick them up maybe an inch off the ground for a few seconds and then put them back) and I would give them lots of praise.  I got one of those dangle toys from Walmart for cheap and I found that was a great way for them to play with me.  I even showed my two small children how to use it.

One thing I would suggest is not allowing rough play (clawing and biting, even in play).  I am trying to instill a zero-tolerance policy on that with the kittens (with us, obviously they will scrap together sometimes).  If the claws or teeth come out I just say "no" and put them down or take myself away.  Nothing major but our last cat was very aggressive and it only got worse with age and we had her put down.