Should I Get My Cat Tested For Felv And Fiv?

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my boy has been with me for 4.5 years and is estimated to be about 11 years old. He’s healthy except for CKD which is well under control with azodyl. He has never been tested for FeLV or FIV. Should I get him tested?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is always good to know, especially if you have other cats. But if you do wait until you take him in for his annual senior bloodwork, I wouldn't bother making a special trip. If you have no other cats I suppose it isn't necessary, I would want to know personally though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Does anyone know how likely it is that a cat that is at least 11 years old and healthy for the past 4.5 years has FelV or FIV?
(P.S: I don't have any other cats. I found him as a stray wandering around, but I think he once belonged to somebody as he was tattoed and neutered. He is the love of my life and I worry about him all the time and want to make sure he is healthy!)

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like it is highly unlikely he has it. How are his mouth, teeth, gums? Positive cats usually need teeth removals and whole mouth extractions at some point because their mouth is so bad. Does he constantly get little colds, or sneeze and snotty? I had an FIV cat and he was always snotty.