Should I get my cat neutered?

gemmamiso

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took in a stray cat over the summer, and he is estimated to be around 8-12 years old. I am finally nearing the top of the waiting list at the vet clinic, and can set up his neutering appointment for February 20th. He is only slightly okay with his body being touched, and is a bit more comfortable with his head being touched. I worry about the recovery for him, especially since he is already hard to handle. Should I get him neutered; is it worth the risk?

Also, the cone situation: I could get him a soft cone, or I could sew him a onesie-- but I'm having a hard time understanding how the onesie would work since he will need to be able to use the bathroom; won't the onesie that some people recommend not cover the neuter incision? Or am I understanding wrong about where the neutering incision would be?

Also! Sorry for the second addendum. He is sooo much more calm and okay with being touched when he wears his Kitty Holster Cat Harness; maybe the onesie idea would work? He is also okay with being picked up, so that wouldn't be too much of an issue.

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
YES! Get him neutered. Unaltered cats are hard to handle. If you don't get him neutered, the risk is high that he will spray all over your house and he will be constantly trying to escape to locate female cats in heat. Also, you don't want to have to deal with hearing him calling for a mate when he can't get outside. Caterwauling is INCREDIBLY IRRITATING to listen to!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gemmamiso

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
YES! Get him neutered. Unaltered cats are hard to handle. If you don't get him neutered, the risk is high that he will spray all over your house and he will be constantly trying to escape to locate female cats in heat. Also, you don't want to have to deal with hearing him calling for a mate when he can't get outside. Caterwauling is INCREDIBLY IRRITATING to listen to!
So far, he hasn’t been doing any of that, but mitigating the risk of it starting can’t be a bad thing. I’m just worried about his recovery :/

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats typically recover within a day of surgery. Don't wait until he starts spraying; once he starts spraying, it will be very hard to make him stop. If you haven't spoken with your vet about your concerns, maybe now is the time to do so?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The Kitty Holster Cat Harness is probably functioning like a thunder shirt. That is why he is calmer while wearing it and you can utilize it for that purpose as well.

A soft cone will completely prevent paying attention to the area, if he will wear one. Some cats will still try to access the area in a onesie, but that does not mean it won't work for your cat.

Discuss your concerns with your vet about the surgery, but neutering is the best way to go for his and your comfort and well being. Male cats recover very quickly. I have released any number of male ferals after neutering and holding for 24 hours and no one ever had a problem.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He will be asleep most of it so you won't need to worry. Ive never had to put anything on a male before. But it is best to be prepared.

spookzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First of all, big kudos to you for taking in a stray senior kitty!:clap:
I agree with the other posters that you should get him neutered asap. In addition to helping to avoid spraying, neutering can also make your cat calmer and friendlier with you as he will be less focussed on…other things.
The surgery is relatively minor and recovery should be quick.

Lucky Bear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took in a stray cat over the summer, and he is estimated to be around 8-12 years old. I am finally nearing the top of the waiting list at the vet clinic, and can set up his neutering appointment for February 20th. He is only slightly okay with his body being touched, and is a bit more comfortable with his head being touched. I worry about the recovery for him, especially since he is already hard to handle. Should I get him neutered; is it worth the risk?

Also, the cone situation: I could get him a soft cone, or I could sew him a onesie-- but I'm having a hard time understanding how the onesie would work since he will need to be able to use the bathroom; won't the onesie that some people recommend not cover the neuter incision? Or am I understanding wrong about where the neutering incision would be?

Also! Sorry for the second addendum. He is sooo much more calm and okay with being touched when he wears his Kitty Holster Cat Harness; maybe the onesie idea would work? He is also okay with being picked up, so that wouldn't be too much of an issue.
I can't comment on the neutering bit but I can on having an intact male cat.
If you choose to keep him intact you have to accept some things.
He will mark his territory, repeatedly, and you can't punish him in anyway for this. It's natural for him to do so. There are ways to deal with the mark itself that make life with an intact cat easier.
If he was a stray it's possible he'll try and get out to find a female but it's not a guarentee. My Max was abandonded and he wants no part of outside, though he does love his window seat.
The yowling, it can be bad but that also depends on a few factors. Exercise is important for all cats but an intact male, in my opinion, even more so. There are also things like the Thundershirt, that help calm.
I wouldn't say intact males are hard to handle, what I would say is they are a bit more work than an altered cat and you pretty much have to be at peace with him being intact and whatever that brings.
My Max is a bit of a handful at times but he's more not a handful than he is a handful if that makes sense. I've had him a few years now so we have a good routine and bond around all things. It took time and patience though.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I wouldn't say intact males are hard to handle, what I would say is they are a bit more work than an altered cat and you pretty much have to be at peace with him being intact and whatever that brings.
Unless you are a registered breeder and have an intact pedigree male cat that you intend to use for a legitimate breeding program, there is no reason to leave a male cat intact.

Apart form the spraying, the smell, the yowling and the risk that he will eventually get out to look for a mate it's unfair on the cat to keep him intact. His hormones will be constantly urging him to do what male cats do, and for an indoor only cat that will be very frustrating.

Max hasn't shown any interest in going outside yet, but if there is a female cat in heat within his range he will try to escape. And once he is out he will come into contact with other male cats and have to fight for the opportunity to mate. Then he risks being badly injured, developing infections and abscesses, being exposed to FIV and FeLV and a lot more deadly infectious diseases.

I worry about the recovery for him, especially since he is already hard to handle. Should I get him neutered; is it worth the risk?
Thank you for rescuing this cat.

:rock:

Gin Kun, in my banner below, was about 10 years old when he first showed up. He was quite aggressive with other cats at first, but once I had him neutered he became a big softy. He was so gentle I could even trust him around foster kittens and he became more affectionate to people too.

I think getting him neutered will really help with socializing your cat. It will mean he settles into life indoors much easier too. None of the male cats I've had neutered have needed to wear a cone. Our vet gave my harder to handle rescues a long-lasting antibiotic and anti-inflammatory injection so there was no need to worry about medicating them after they'd been neutered.

I guess your vet will give him a blood test at the same time as neutering. A lot of male cats who've spent any amount of time outside will have been exposed to FIV, but it's not the end of the world. You can find plenty of support and advice here on caring for an FIV+ cat too.