Should I get Birman or Ragdoll cats?

EchoOfCanada95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm renting a new apartment at the end of the year and I'm planning on getting a sibling pair of cats for companions. I'm debating on either Birmans or Ragdolls. Does one shed more or are they both the same? How is the temperament of both, is one more social or active than the other? I have an active lifestyle and would like a cat that can go outside with me when I go jogging. I have seen people train cats to walk on a leash and I believe it is much safer than letting them wander around unsupervised.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
All cats shed, the amount mostly based on whether they are long hair or short hair. But if you are looking at purebreds you will be spending hundreds of dollars apiece when shelters are full of kittens that look like Birman or Ragdolls at a reasonable cost.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
all cats shed as for the jogging buddy your better off getting a dog for that there is just so much that could go wrong jogging with a cat dogs that rush up barking to the fence,strays,other joggers with unleashed dogs. your cat would be miserable i think with all that going on. worse case your cat runs away and gets lost then in a strange area also i dont think a cat could keep up on a run they are built for a short dash of speed not distance running :biggrin:so buy the cat from a breeder for indoors and rescue a dog from a shelter for your jogging buddy

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I have seen people train cats to walk on a leash and I believe it is much safer than letting them wander around unsupervised.
The thing with cats of any breed on leashes is that they don't run for any length of time, --they are very unlike dogs in that regard. Plus they stop, wander a tiny bit, sniff for great lengths of time, sit and observe, .. .. you'd be dragging it along more than anything.

You might be able to take a cat with you in a pet buggy, but if you jog for any distance I'm not sure the cat will enjoy this, thinking of the things that game misconduct mentioned above.

Birman Cats – TheCatSite Articles

Ragdoll Cats – TheCatSite Articles

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Walking my cat is like walking a toddler at a park. My cat sits, sniffs, step step, sniff,step step freeze while he hunts with his eyes, step, sniff, step step step, marks his turf. He doesn’t run except for very short distances. I think a dog is a better running partner. I have heard of/ seen only one cat that walks in a leash in a way that keeps pace with the human!

As for the breed that best suits you? I agree with getting a mix. Just choose based on the personality not the fur color!!! 3 kittens, one with a bit of rag doll in her, 1 that is half siamese (lynx point) & 1 that is black that minus the running would fit you perfectly .... but he already has a home. Rag dolls have some great traits and they let you hold them belly up! However the ragdoll I know is so fat that his sides round out like a ball!!! My guys sister that is part rag doll is more sedate, is already fat at 4 years old (the vet says she needs a diet) & i would

Might I suggest a catio instead of running the cats? Or a pet stroller to take them on a run?

⭐If you want a super affectionate to you, hyper, vocal cat that will start being super naughty if they get bored, get a lynx point or half siamese kitten. My guy is an Angel provided he gets 2 hours outside everyday.