Should I get another kitten?

elvawenn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For the past 15 years, my beloved female cat Zoe has been with us, the only solo cat in the house. Recently, a young 4 month old male kitten began to show up on our backyard, begging for food, and eventually, coming in for head rubs and lots of affection! I must admit, my heart was swayed. He actually squeezed through our metal gate that led to the back, just to get me to pet him longer. Now, Zoe love to sunbathe at the back, or her catio, as it were. It's a half-in-half-out laundry area, and that was where she encountered the male kitten. She hissed at him, puffed up and even tried to swat him. He sometimes hissed back.

But when she wasn't around, he came to look for me for food and affection. 4 weeks ago, we finally succumbed and brought him in. Gave him a bath, and brought him to the vet, and we placed him in a room. We named him Felix. He was really skittish, and to this day, still a little afraid. But he'd become better. In these four weeks, he did play, but wasn't as engaged as it had been with Zoe. I chalked it up as him never been played with in his life, and as a stray, life was about survival. When we're not around, he hides under the shelves in the room, and gets really bored at night and destroyed some stuff.

As for Zoe and Felix, I placed them both on separate carriers and just have them face each other each day for about 10-15 minutes, gradually getting closer. She still hisses at him, but Felix is adjusting well and never hissed at her. In fact, I believe he wants to be friends with her, but she's not allowing it. I understand that older cats will take a long time to accept a new addition.

My husband and I were thinking of getting another female spayed kitten to accompany Felix once he'd been neuteured.

My questions are, should I get another kitten to accompany Felix, even though he and Zoe are not getting along now, and will getting another kitten (we're thinking another female) stress Zoe out even more?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Take a look at this, it might have some information for you;
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat – TheCatSite Articles

Also, try some Cat Music for your older kitty, and maybe a calming product - there are chews, sprays, wipes and plugins.

I can't answer about another kitten, sometimes it works but it totally depends on the cats involved.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it totally depends on the kittens. Its a total myth to believe that if one gets two, they wont bug the older cat. I had one chill kitten and one typical kitten. The older cat always tolerated the chill kitten very well, and always disliked the typical kitten. Eventually, I had serious problems with actual fighting. Thats very rare, but the more typical stress/difficulties can last a while if a hyper kitten is frequently trying to force the older cat to play. You cannot know what kind of kitten you will end up with in advance, and a typical kitten stresses out most senior cats.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As for Zoe and Felix, I placed them both on separate carriers and just have them face each other each day for about 10-15 minutes, gradually getting closer. She still hisses at him, but Felix is adjusting well and never hissed at her. In fact, I believe he wants to be friends with her, but she's not allowing it. I understand that older cats will take a long time to accept a new addition. ...
I've never had to introduce two cats to one another, so please take my comments with a grain of salt -- but, in reading this above-noted part of your post, I wonder about the idea of confining Zoe and Felix in cat carriers and then having them face one another? Unless the cat (esp. Zoe) actually loves being in a confined space--the cat carrier-- and facing off with another new cat, I am not sure how this creates a safe, calm atmosphere. It seems to me it might put Zoe into a defensive mood?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agree PushPurrCatPaws PushPurrCatPaws but sometimes folks that dont have the option of putting up a gate to allow visual access in a more normal way will resort to something like this. Certainly, a play pen or big dog crate would be better than carriers, if you have to do this at all. But if you truly dont have an option -- for example folks in studios -- maybe this is better than nothing? I'm not too clear on that.

Here is our guide with pictures of homemade gates that allow a much more ordered visual access step and avoids the issues identified above.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

The unfortunate truth of the matter is that there is no perfect process with a kitten and senior cat, because its when the kitten starts to try and play and wont take no for an answer that the stress really spikes. But I certainly agree it may be possible to help somewhat with a better visual access step.

Last edited:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I understand. But I do think using door gates and more open spaces might create a bit more of a natural environment. Many cats don't like being put in cat carriers in the first place, so you are already working with a negative thing if needing to resort to that!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elvawenn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've never had to introduce two cats to one another, so please take my comments with a grain of salt -- but, in reading this above-noted part of your post, I wonder about the idea of confining Zoe and Felix in cat carriers and then having them face one another? Unless the cat (esp. Zoe) actually loves being in a confined space--the cat carrier-- and facing off with another new cat, I am not sure how this creates a safe, calm atmosphere. It seems to me it might put Zoe into a defensive mood?
Yes, A ArtNJ is right. We don't have the option not because of door issue - it's a sliding door so we can open it up a little bit, but the problem is, Zoe hides and runs away from Felix every single time. She's not even curious. So in a way, I had to "force" the interaction a little bit, but what I failed to make clear in my post is that while they were in their respective carriers, I gave them treats and showered them with praises. I actually read about this technique somewhere, but amongst all the reading I've done, I think I lost it. :D

elvawenn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom A ArtNJ
I'm starting to rethink having a second kitten. This is what everyone seems to advocate, so I'm a little confused here. In any case, thank you for your input, this certainly gives us more to think about.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi E elvawenn :wave3:
Bless your heart for taking in little Felix,...or else...actually he 'chose you' by being persistent,..so how could you resist. :)

I am more on the side of "please get another kitten"...to take the pressure off of Zoe...and also for young Felix to have a playmate,...his age,...who he can run around with, tumble with, wrestle with,...basically be a 'kitten with'. :biggrin:

Your Zoe is acting all fine, and nothing that she is doing is out of the ordinary.
She probably just finds the kitten's movements very fast and erratic, so naturally Zoe would hiss.
I just don't know if she will be able to keep up with Felix...when he is a bit older and wanting to Play.

It really depends on the personalities of 'all the cats'...in how they relate to each other.

Where you live, are you able to 'foster some kittens'...and then choose which one can match the best.
Or if not, can you talk to some Shelters, or Rescues, who have tons of experience in placing kittens, and cats, and who can also give you good advice about which 'cat personality' to look for.

It's true, that we can never predict the future, but with kittens, that's what makes life fun, anyhow.
Plus, they do all grow up, eventually, so you really just have a short time to enjoy all those kitten shenanigans, and playfulness, zoomies, stuff they destroy, etc. :clover:
My husband and I were thinking of getting another female spayed kitten to accompany Felix once he'd been neuteured.

My questions are, should I get another kitten to accompany Felix, even though he and Zoe are not getting along now, and will getting another kitten (we're thinking another female) stress Zoe out even more?
This is where I don't know if getting another female, or male kitten, would suit Felix. 🤔

Because Felix is still so young, he is very adaptable,...and so it's difficult to tell what Felix's play style is actually like.
Does he like wand toys?, ping pong balls, or scrunched up balls?, chasing, wrestling, jumping up high, or staying low.?
He also may change as he grows more Confident,...so you may see many of his play strategies change, too.
...4 weeks ago, we finally succumbed and brought him in. Gave him a bath, and brought him to the vet, and we placed him in a room. We named him Felix. He was really skittish, and to this day, still a little afraid. But he'd become better. In these four weeks, he did play, but wasn't as engaged as it had been with Zoe. I chalked it up as him never been played with in his life, and as a stray, life was about survival. When we're not around, he hides under the shelves in the room, and gets really bored at night and destroyed some stuff.
Now, I am a bit curious what your little Felix did 'destroy' at night?
Hopefully, not too expensive.

Do you have the space, and finances, for another kitten?

Even if you cannot put up the usual 'baby gates'...as the guide that ArtNJ posted:

You still might be able to place 'diy shelf barriers'...in any width, in hallways, or doorways,...by building then with 'zip ties'.:
How to Build a Free-Standing Cat, Dog, or Pet Gate Cheaply, Without Tools

(Getting back to female or male kitten,...I have found that my male cat likes to wrestle and tumble more so, than my female cat.
She prefers to run and tag, or chase, but only when she wants to. She is also more chatty, and vocal, than my male cat.
They are both siblings, dsh, age 7 years, and...when they were kittens, both were 'dominant' types...meaning that both made their wishes known, and had no fear of moving forward, or initiating play.)

So I think it all depends on who you choose, for a match with Felix,...yet also gentle enough, to leave Zoe alone, and not dominate over her.

Would love to see photos of your cats, when you have the time. (no pressure, though.)
We just really like cat photos, here. :blush:
Good Luck. :goodluck:

elvawenn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bless your heart for taking in little Felix,...or else...actually he 'chose you' by being persistent,..so how could you resist. :)

I am more on the side of "please get another kitten"...to take the pressure off of Zoe...and also for young Felix to have a playmate,...his age,...who he can run around with, tumble with, wrestle with,...basically be a 'kitten with'. :biggrin:

Your Zoe is acting all fine, and nothing that she is doing is out of the ordinary.
She probably just finds the kitten's movements very fast and erratic, so naturally Zoe would hiss.
I just don't know if she will be able to keep up with Felix...when he is a bit older and wanting to Play.

It really depends on the personalities of 'all the cats'...in how they relate to each other.

Where you live, are you able to 'foster some kittens'...and then choose which one can match the best.
Or if not, can you talk to some Shelters, or Rescues, who have tons of experience in placing kittens, and cats, and who can also give you good advice about which 'cat personality' to look for.

It's true, that we can never predict the future, but with kittens, that's what makes life fun, anyhow.
Plus, they do all grow up, eventually, so you really just have a short time to enjoy all those kitten shenanigans, and playfulness, zoomies, stuff they destroy, etc. :clover:

This is where I don't know if getting another female, or male kitten, would suit Felix. 🤔

Because Felix is still so young, he is very adaptable,...and so it's difficult to tell what Felix's play style is actually like.
Does he like wand toys?, ping pong balls, or scrunched up balls?, chasing, wrestling, jumping up high, or staying low.?
He also may change as he grows more Confident,...so you may see many of his play strategies change, too.

Now, I am a bit curious what your little Felix did 'destroy' at night?
Hopefully, not too expensive.

Do you have the space, and finances, for another kitten?

Even if you cannot put up the usual 'baby gates'...as the guide that ArtNJ posted:

You still might be able to place 'diy shelf barriers'...in any width, in hallways, or doorways,...by building then with 'zip ties'.:
How to Build a Free-Standing Cat, Dog, or Pet Gate Cheaply, Without Tools

(Getting back to female or male kitten,...I have found that my male cat likes to wrestle and tumble more so, than my female cat.
She prefers to run and tag, or chase, but only when she wants to. She is also more chatty, and vocal, than my male cat.
They are both siblings, dsh, age 7 years, and...when they were kittens, both were 'dominant' types...meaning that both made their wishes known, and had no fear of moving forward, or initiating play.)

So I think it all depends on who you choose, for a match with Felix,...yet also gentle enough, to leave Zoe alone, and not dominate over her.

Would love to see photos of your cats, when you have the time. (no pressure, though.)
We just really like cat photos, here. :blush:
Good Luck. :goodluck:
Hi cat nap cat nap ! :wave2:

Felix is definitely a rather timid cat. Of course, it's still early and he's still integrating into the household, so a lot of assessment now may change in the future as he gains confidence (and he should!) as it's so heartbreaking seeing him dash for cover or flatten himself in fear every time something happens. He does like wand toys, especially the ones that resemble birds. My husband actually watched as he hunted some birds in the backyard, but unfortunately he wasn't successful! He also watches and observes more than engaging with a toy. I presume he's still scared and cautious.

His interaction with Zoe now is far and few in between. Other than the carrier meets, they don't cross paths as I'm trying to take it slow. He seems rather respectful, but has a desire to look for her. Hence why I was thinking if I should look for another kitten to be his companion.

Your words do bring comfort. My house right now is just a bundle of nerves, to be honest. Everyone is stressed. It's not something I want to go through again, that's for sure! I can probably talk to shelters about the kittens' personalities, and another way for me to find one is through friends' recommendation - someone somewhere may have a litter and are thinking of giving them away. That's how we got Zoe.

20210829_161605.jpg

This is 15 year old Zoe. Confident, intelligent, and a little standoffish but would look for chin scratches when her mood strikes. Like this:
IMG_0177.jpg

And this is 4 month old Felix when we first got him. I know, the age gap is HUGEEEEE! :eek3:

20220414_205839.jpg

A few days after we brought him inside the house:

_JEE0014.jpg

And this is him today. The couch is definitely a nice place, isn't it? 😆
2F3872FF-4FC6-407C-88B7-FD8B7E20D92C.jpg

A really affectionate and sweet little guy, when he's not biting me. 😆 No worries, I'll stop this bad habit one day. I usually pull my hand away with an "Ouch!" and leave. He's already doing it a lot less.

Oh, and as for the "destruction" he made out of boredom, we had some cardboard boxes stored in that room on a shelf, and he made a mince meat out of them. Note the poor bubble wrap too!

IMG_0460.jpg

IMG_0463.jpg

Sorry for all those photos! But I love these two already and wanna show them off. 😁

This is good advice! When the time comes, if we do decide to get another kitten for Felix, I hope we'll pick well. I'm not very experienced in this area, I'm afraid. But I'll do my best. Zoe's sanity depends on it! LOL

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi cat nap cat nap ! :wave2:

Felix is definitely a rather timid cat. Of course, it's still early and he's still integrating into the household, so a lot of assessment now may change in the future as he gains confidence (and he should!) as it's so heartbreaking seeing him dash for cover or flatten himself in fear every time something happens. He does like wand toys, especially the ones that resemble birds. My husband actually watched as he hunted some birds in the backyard, but unfortunately he wasn't successful! He also watches and observes more than engaging with a toy. I presume he's still scared and cautious.

His interaction with Zoe now is far and few in between. Other than the carrier meets, they don't cross paths as I'm trying to take it slow. He seems rather respectful, but has a desire to look for her. Hence why I was thinking if I should look for another kitten to be his companion.

Your words do bring comfort. My house right now is just a bundle of nerves, to be honest
. Everyone is stressed. It's not something I want to go through again, that's for sure! I can probably talk to shelters about the kittens' personalities, and another way for me to find one is through friends' recommendation - someone somewhere may have a litter and are thinking of giving them away. That's how we got Zoe.
Thank you for all these photos.
They made my day. :blush:

I am not really understanding why your house is a bundle of nerves, unless it's due to all the 'new excitement'...and the 'newness' of having young Felix around.
Whenever someone starts with the 'cat to cat' introductions...there is always going to be some stress, so if you just Accept this part as a natural expected emotion,...and not put too much weight into everything being perfect,...then more than likely...the cat intros will proceed as they will. Day by day, things will change.

Just put a 'cat to cat introduction' into place...choose a Plan, and try to stick to the Routines,...but at the same time...you still have to have some Fun, take plenty of photos, and expect that Zoe will not want the 'newcomer' in her territory, right away.

And of course Felix, being so young, will try and get you to 'kitten-proof' the entire home, and you'll still forget about certain spots, until of course, Felix reminds you, of them. :eek2: :rolleyes2: :hide: :lol: :wink:
A really affectionate and sweet little guy, when he's not biting me. 😆 No worries, I'll stop this bad habit one day. I usually pull my hand away with an "Ouch!" and leave. He's already doing it a lot less.

Oh, and as for the "destruction" he made out of boredom, we had some cardboard boxes stored in that room on a shelf, and he made a mince meat out of them. Note the poor bubble wrap too!
There you go,...you're already teaching Felix the 'house rules'...of 'no biting the humans'....:thumbsup: :lol:

I would sometimes leave my hand there, and then cry out really loudly, too, with the "ouch"...and "ooo...ooo...ooo"...like a wounded puppy. (It does work, but you have to be consistent and do it every single time.) It is difficult to remember that those little kitten teeth, will one day be larger, so starting off when he's small, is really hard, but really necessary.)

I'm sorry to laugh, but the 'destruction' that Felix did was not what I expected. :blush:
I thought he broke some fine crystal, or knocked everything on the shelves over to the floor, or something like that.
Chewing on cardboard, or that bubble wrap,...probably just means he wanted to 'ship something somewhere'. :crackup::bluepaw::winkcat:
(I guess that the bubble wrap would be another 'kitten proofing' idea, to put away,..in case Felix likes to eat plastic bubbles. yikes.)

(my sister collects little angel figurines, some were glass, and our male kitten decided it was fun to knock them down, onto the floor, from her dresser. ooops. Well, in his own way, our cat was just teaching us the 'marie kondo' way, of what is important in life, and to either put valuables away, or use 'museum putty'...like another member, here, had suggested. She just put everything away. Cats are more important than things, or objects, so really it was not such a big deal. Just a bit shocking, to find a few angels on the floor, and then funny after the fact.) :eek2::jawdrop::paranoid::lol:
Sorry for all those photos! But I love these two already and wanna show them off. 😁
I love the photos. :)
Your cats are gorgeous. :loveeyes:

Zoe does have a 'calmness' about her, and an elegance, with beautiful blue eyes.
Her colouring is gorgeous.

And your Felix has such cute large ears, with stunning yellow eyes as well.
Felix has a very inquisitive look, and those ears...are like huge satellites...so I take it that nothing much gets past Felix...in making sounds within the house.
I doubt anyone can sneak up on him, at all, unless he was in deep sleep.
Felix will soon grow into those ears, and paws, too,...as all young kittens do.:bluepaw:
This is good advice! When the time comes, if we do decide to get another kitten for Felix, I hope we'll pick well. I'm not very experienced in this area, I'm afraid. But I'll do my best. Zoe's sanity depends on it! LOL
:blush: You'll do fine...since who ever you choose will be chosen by Love. :)

Plus, yes, it will help keep your Zoe's sanity, too, ...I imagine. :lol:
In time, Zoe will probably come to enjoy watching both kittens play...but she will still be the 'high cat' to teach them all the 'house rules' and 'proper manners' of cat behaviour, as well.

Like you said, just take it slow,...with the cat-to-cat intros.

With kittens being introduced to kittens, it can go a little faster, since their learning 'bite inhibition' from each other, and the joys of playing with each other, happen so fast, so hopefully you can find a match, fairly soon. But again, no pressure,...just Enjoy the Time.
Even if at times, if you hear a lot of hissing or growling, yowling,...as long as you are following some Steps...then that will lead you to more Progress.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

JacobinCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi elvawenn! Zoe and Felix are so beautiful! With more time (and maybe that other kitten??), hopefully they will become friends. It's a lot for them both to adjust to. There are some great videos by Jackson Galaxy () on introducing two cats and how to go slowly, in case that's helpful. I think I know what you mean by the house being a bundle of nerves -- maybe more on the human side than the feline side. Hoping for the best and waiting and being hypervigilant about every interaction is exhausting -- I am currently almost two weeks into introducing a new young kitty (Padma, somewhere between 1-3 yrs old) to an elderly cat (Lucy, about 19), and constantly afraid that I have made a terrible mistake and am ruining Lucy's life (as she peacefully naps in her favorite box, far less stressed than me). I read somewhere that it can take many months for cats to truly develop a friendship, so probably patience patience patience is the key.

elvawenn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all these photos.
They made my day. :blush:

I am not really understanding why your house is a bundle of nerves, unless it's due to all the 'new excitement'...and the 'newness' of having young Felix around.
Whenever someone starts with the 'cat to cat' introductions...there is always going to be some stress, so if you just Accept this part as a natural expected emotion,...and not put too much weight into everything being perfect,...then more than likely...the cat intros will proceed as they will. Day by day, things will change.

Just put a 'cat to cat introduction' into place...choose a Plan, and try to stick to the Routines,...but at the same time...you still have to have some Fun, take plenty of photos, and expect that Zoe will not want the 'newcomer' in her territory, right away.

And of course Felix, being so young, will try and get you to 'kitten-proof' the entire home, and you'll still forget about certain spots, until of course, Felix reminds you, of them. :eek2: :rolleyes2: :hide: :lol: :wink:

There you go,...you're already teaching Felix the 'house rules'...of 'no biting the humans'....:thumbsup: :lol:

I would sometimes leave my hand there, and then cry out really loudly, too, with the "ouch"...and "ooo...ooo...ooo"...like a wounded puppy. (It does work, but you have to be consistent and do it every single time.) It is difficult to remember that those little kitten teeth, will one day be larger, so starting off when he's small, is really hard, but really necessary.)

I'm sorry to laugh, but the 'destruction' that Felix did was not what I expected. :blush:
I thought he broke some fine crystal, or knocked everything on the shelves over to the floor, or something like that.
Chewing on cardboard, or that bubble wrap,...probably just means he wanted to 'ship something somewhere'. :crackup::bluepaw::winkcat:
(I guess that the bubble wrap would be another 'kitten proofing' idea, to put away,..in case Felix likes to eat plastic bubbles. yikes.)

(my sister collects little angel figurines, some were glass, and our male kitten decided it was fun to knock them down, onto the floor, from her dresser. ooops. Well, in his own way, our cat was just teaching us the 'marie kondo' way, of what is important in life, and to either put valuables away, or use 'museum putty'...like another member, here, had suggested. She just put everything away. Cats are more important than things, or objects, so really it was not such a big deal. Just a bit shocking, to find a few angels on the floor, and then funny after the fact.) :eek2::jawdrop::paranoid::lol:

I love the photos. :)
Your cats are gorgeous. :loveeyes:

Zoe does have a 'calmness' about her, and an elegance, with beautiful blue eyes.
Her colouring is gorgeous.

And your Felix has such cute large ears, with stunning yellow eyes as well.
Felix has a very inquisitive look, and those ears...are like huge satellites...so I take it that nothing much gets past Felix...in making sounds within the house.
I doubt anyone can sneak up on him, at all, unless he was in deep sleep.
Felix will soon grow into those ears, and paws, too,...as all young kittens do.:bluepaw:

:blush: You'll do fine...since who ever you choose will be chosen by Love. :)

Plus, yes, it will help keep your Zoe's sanity, too, ...I imagine. :lol:
In time, Zoe will probably come to enjoy watching both kittens play...but she will still be the 'high cat' to teach them all the 'house rules' and 'proper manners' of cat behaviour, as well.

Like you said, just take it slow,...with the cat-to-cat intros.

With kittens being introduced to kittens, it can go a little faster, since their learning 'bite inhibition' from each other, and the joys of playing with each other, happen so fast, so hopefully you can find a match, fairly soon. But again, no pressure,...just Enjoy the Time.
Even if at times, if you hear a lot of hissing or growling, yowling,...as long as you are following some Steps...then that will lead you to more Progress.
Thank you cat nap cat nap !

Haha... we are excited to have Felix, we do love him here as we believe he chose us and that is special indeed. At the same time, we're worried about Zoe and how this affects her. This is our first time introducing cats, and it's one of the hardest scenario you can imagine. I think we're just afraid of messing it up and ruining their relationship, but your advice helps so much. We need to let it go and let things progress naturally. We hoomans are just overthinking too much! :stars:

This is gold. These are words of calmness and assurance I need. Thank you so so much. :redheartpump:

Oh gosh! LOL we learned out lesson from Zoe! She was a rascal in her younger years, so we know how naughty kittens can be. She wasn't one to knock things over, but she loved to get her curious nose into anything and everything. :lol: No breakables on display, luckily. Those that are breakable, is far too heavy to move for them. We make sure to let them know what are okay to play with, and play with every single day to tire them out. However, I must admit we have gotten very complacent lately, with Zoe knowing better and now we're looking at our space with new set of eyes again! Yes, Felix does have a lesson or two for us.

Thank you so much for your kind words about our cats - we are definitely cat people and if not for limited resources, would love to keep more than just two or three!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha... we are excited to have Felix, we do love him here as we believe he chose us and that is special indeed. At the same time, we're worried about Zoe and how this affects her. This is our first time introducing cats, and it's one of the hardest scenario you can imagine. I think we're just afraid of messing it up and ruining their relationship, but your advice helps so much. We need to let it go and let things progress naturally. We hoomans are just overthinking too much! :stars:
Ahh, okay,...I do get the worry and fears...about potentially 'messing up' a cat introduction.
I think I just forget about those worries and fears, since my last cat-to-cat intros were back in 2015, and just recently last year, helping a friend with their cat intros, is not really the same...as being 'right at the beginning of them'...or 'even in the middle'.

(When I had kittens suddenly show up in my life, I also had my rainbow cat Spotty, who was 15 yrs old at the time.
My worry then, was also 'how can I make sure that Spotty feels just as much love and attention, as he always got, without showing the kittens too much love and attention, as well'. I mean, I didn't know how splitting up my time, would affect my older cat.
So I basically just did the best I could.)

And pretty much that is all any of us, can ever do.
Don't worry about things that you have read, about older cats not being adaptable, or 'worse case scenarios', or even all the multitude of info online, that says one thing, and gets you to doubt yourself, or the situation with your cats.

All cat intro situations are different.
Every one is unique. :bluepaw:
Sure, the cat intros...have similarities, and therefore are easier to follow...in a Planned sort of way, but they all Progress differently.
That's pretty much why I like to read about them, since not one cat introduction...is similar to the next.

And you are so right..."We hoomans are just overthinking too much! :stars:"
:yeah: That is so, so true.
I sometimes wish there was an 'off button'...but I have not found it yet. :blush: :redx:
But there is a 'recharge button'...so make sure to take plenty of breaks in the cat-to-cat intros, too. :clover:
Oh gosh! LOL we learned out lesson from Zoe! She was a rascal in her younger years, so we know how naughty kittens can be. She wasn't one to knock things over, but she loved to get her curious nose into anything and everything. :lol: No breakables on display, luckily. Those that are breakable, is far too heavy to move for them. We make sure to let them know what are okay to play with, and play with every single day to tire them out. However, I must admit we have gotten very complacent lately, with Zoe knowing better and now we're looking at our space with new set of eyes again! Yes, Felix does have a lesson or two for us.
Lol. I cannot picture your Zoe being a rascal in her younger years, at all.
She just looks too sweet for any of that 'rascal business'. :lovecat2:
Curious,...yes I can see that.
She looks like "a Boss".

Zoe's photo reminds me of the CEO of an important company,...yet she looks elegant, and likes to go shopping, (with all those bags around her.) :blush:

While your Felix, in his second photo,...also looks to be the CFO (chief financial officer, or rather chief feline officer :cool2:)...of his, or part of Zoe's company now. :biggrin:
The way you captured the 'look' that you usually see of 'head shots' of important board members, is what Felix looks like.
And the third photo, is naturally Felix relaxing at home, since we also get to see this 'image' in magazines, too. :cloud9:
Thank you so much for your kind words about our cats - we are definitely cat people and if not for limited resources, would love to keep more than just two or three!
I hear you on that one. :)
(I also wish that at times, I grew up on a hobby farm, where I could have a barn full of cats.
My only problem would also be 'not really getting up early enough to feed all the animals'...and also realistically, the limited resources, as well.)

Oh, I did want to mention, since I was not sure, that if your Felix is not yet neutered, being so young...(since here they don't neuter until 5-6 months...depending on the weight of the kitten, due to anesthesia)...
That your Felix will definitely settle down a bit, and not want to chase Zoe as much, after being neutered. :bluepaw:
The testosterone does take about six weeks to get out of his system, though, so just keep this in mind, if he acts slightly wilder at times.

Another thing that I forgot, was when one of my previous kittens were young...they went into a 'teething phase'...where they liked to chew on everything, and had those 'little shark teeth'...that would just want to bite my hands, too.
(I remember having to look for some 'dog chew toys'...since I could not find any 'cat chew toys' at the time. :greenpaw:
Not really sure if they now make 'cat chew toys'...but it would have been helpful, then.)

Anytime my kitten would want to chew on my hands, I would place a 'chew toy' in his mouth.
It was the type that he could not eat, and I was supervising him, just to make sure.
I would sometimes put the chew toy in the fridge or freezer, as well, since I read that it might relieve some teething pain.

Last edited:

elvawenn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ahh, okay,...I do get the worry and fears...about potentially 'messing up' a cat introduction.
I think I just forget about those worries and fears, since my last cat-to-cat intros were back in 2015, and just recently last year, helping a friend with their cat intros, is not really the same...as being 'right at the beginning of them'...or 'even in the middle'.

(When I had kittens suddenly show up in my life, I also had my rainbow cat Spotty, who was 15 yrs old at the time.
My worry then, was also 'how can I make sure that Spotty feels just as much love and attention, as he always got, without showing the kittens too much love and attention, as well'. I mean, I didn't know how splitting up my time, would affect my older cat.

Don't worry about things that you have read, about older cats not being adaptable, or 'worse case scenarios', or even all the multitude of info online, that says one thing, and gets you to doubt yourself, or the situation with your cats.

Sure, the cat intros...have similarities, and therefore are easier to follow...in a Planned sort of way, but they all Progress differently.
That's pretty much why I like to read about them, since not one cat introduction...is similar to the next.

I sometimes wish there was an 'off button'...but I have not found it yet. :blush: :redx:
But there is a 'recharge button'...so make sure to take plenty of breaks in the cat-to-cat intros, too. :clover:

Lol. I cannot picture your Zoe being a rascal in her younger years, at all.
She just looks too sweet for any of that 'rascal business'. :lovecat2:
Curious,...yes I can see that.
She looks like "a Boss".

Zoe's photo reminds me of the CEO of an important company,...yet she looks elegant, and likes to go shopping, (with all those bags around her.) :blush:

While your Felix, in his second photo,...also looks to be the CFO (chief financial officer, or rather chief feline officer :cool2:)...of his, or part of Zoe's company now. :biggrin:
The way you captured the 'look' that you usually see of 'head shots' of important board members, is what Felix looks like.
And the third photo, is naturally Felix relaxing at home, since we also get to see this 'image' in magazines, too. :cloud9:

I hear you on that one. :)
(I also wish that at times, I grew up on a hobby farm, where I could have a barn full of cats.
My only problem would also be 'not really getting up early enough to feed all the animals'...and also realistically, the limited resources, as well.)

Oh, I did want to mention, since I was not sure, that if your Felix is not yet neutered, being so young...(since here they don't neuter until 5-6 months...depending on the weight of the kitten, due to anesthesia)...
That your Felix will definitely settle down a bit, and not want to chase Zoe as much, after being neutered. :bluepaw:
The testosterone does take about six weeks to get out of his system, though, so just keep this in mind, if he acts slightly wilder at times.

Another thing that I forgot, was when one of my previous kittens were young...they went into a 'teething phase'...where they liked to chew on everything, and had those 'little shark teeth'...that would just want to bite my hands, too.
(I remember having to look for some 'dog chew toys'...since I could not find any 'cat chew toys' at the time. :greenpaw:
Not really sure if they now make 'cat chew toys'...but it would have been helpful, then.)

Anytime my kitten would want to chew on my hands, I would place a 'chew toy' in his mouth.
It was the type that he could not eat, and I was supervising him, just to make sure.
I would sometimes put the chew toy in the fridge or freezer, as well, since I read that it might relieve some teething pain.

You know, since talking to you here, I've calmed down significantly. Will you believe it, but my sleep ever since we brought Felix in was actually a restless one... in the morning, I always loved to sleep in, but ever since this started, I hadn't been able to sleep well. I had dreams. But my sleep for the past few days had improved, significantly! All thanks to you and the lovely members here. I'm so grateful. :redheartpump: :hugs:

Your experience with Spotty is exactly how I'm feeling right now! And you're talking about it calmly and lovingly so I think this is gonna work out. And I'll accept whatever relationship they'll be in, in the future, as long as they don't fight. Actually, they've met outside the carrier now for a few times and while Zoe looked scared, she hissed but stalked away. No fights. So I guess we're not out of the woods yet but I'm relieved that they won't fight, at least. Still, little Felix has the whole downstairs, while Zoe has her upstairs. Her catio is downstairs though so I hope one day she'll go fearlessly and claim what's hers.

She looks like "a Boss".
This is so hilarious because I don't know... coincidence or what but we jokingly call these two cats "board of directors" with Zoe sitting in CEO position and Felix is the General Manager. LOL! Even our family chatroom on WhatsApp is called Zoe & Felix Inc. :wavey:

Oh, you won't believe Zoe was a rascal? Behold this naughty face:

DSC01213.JPG

DSC01275.JPG

DSC01276.JPG

She was sooooo active as a kitten. She would chase toys endlessly and neglect to eat. We had to pry that toy mouse away from her and direct her to her bowl! LOL And yeah, her coloring had darkened. We were a bit surprised to see it.

We're scheduling the neutering around end of June, maybe early July? The vet told us to bring him in 5th of June for the second round of vaccinations and we'll ask him to schedule the surgery for him. After that, we'll let him recover first and start looking for a kitten friend. Oooh! I'm so excited! :hyper: So relieved to hear that he'll calm down a bit. He does have that wildness, like you mentioned. I wasn't sure if it's because he's unneutered or because he was a stray.

As for him biting, he's so much better now! He does turn and grab my hand with paws and teeth, sorta like "hugging" my hand while I was petting him, but his bite was much gentler. He would puncture and draw blood last time. He's really a fast learner. He already got the hang of "shake" paws - even though my clicker hasn't arrived yet (I ordered it online).