Should I get another kitten? Worried about behavior change in current kitten.

mnstn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 6 month old spayed bengal mix kitten named Nyx. I will be starting a new job in January and will be gone for 12 hour days at least 3 days a week. I don't want her to get lonely or lack play. She already has begun running for the door everytime I put my shoes on and she sits up in the window and watches my car drive away, it breaks my heart. She is very talkative, has a lot of energy and is a great cat. I want to get her a friend and another addition to my family if it would benefit everyone. I just have several concerns about getting a new kitten.

Will her personality change? She cuddles with me at night, follows me around, sleeps in my lap, meows her needs all the time and overall is a very affectionate cat. I am worried that adding a new kitten will change her personality.

If I got a new kitten, it would be a neutered male, is this the right choice?

What personality type should I look for in a new kitten to attempt to match my current kitten?

If I got another kitten, I would gradually introduce the two to each other. Is there anything I should do to keep my current kitten from feeling neglected?

If getting another kitten isn't the right choice, what can I do to make her feel less alone?

I just want to say that I would love the new kitten as much as I love my current kitten. No cat would be neglected. I am also financially able to afford care for both kittens. I live in an apartment where they will both be kept indoors.

nbrazil

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey, I'm just a guy that reads too much about cats, watches the cat behaviorist on TV and went through the experience of introducing a second kitten to my lonely, play aggressive Ragdoll. I got him because I wanted a mellow cat, but nobody told me that all kittens aren't… mellow, that is.

Personality change? My opinion is not so much is there a personality change, but a redirection of attention. My guy used to play with me all the time - including aggressively. Now his sister holds his attention and he plays with her, not so much with me. Instead he is no longer play aggressive. Instead of biting me, he lets me (and wants me to) rub and pet him even more. She taught him manners (how hard to bite, not to bite, etc.), so that is how his personality changed.

Gender? Don't know. My personal preference is the opposite gender - but it shouldn't matter so long as it is neutered. I just like the symmetry of opposite genders - and, even though neutered, my newly formed family (brother / sister) are intoxicated with each other's scent, pretty funny to watch.

Personality type - hm, bengal, I would say active and playful - a personality that can keep up with and challenger her. Assuming it is the breeder, they would know the specifics of a kitten's personality - same for a Rescue… usually a foster can tell you what to expect.

They have great article on introducing cats on this site. You'll wind up paying about equal attention to each, not a big deal.

At 6 months, you should consider another kitten between 4 and 8 months. It is likely they will get along with a proper introduction… kittens are more open to bonding - they are still young and inquisitive more than territorial. In my case, introducing an active orange girl whose personality was…. don't let her  doll face fool you, she can get down and play hard core with the big boys… perfect. My Ragdoll kitten was extremely active and clingy when I got home (my feet suffered from that). But once they were introduced properly, they have become total play pals. They keep each other occupied, burn off the kitten energy and leave the loving goodness for me.

I think Bengals have more energy than most and even with a play pal will require significant interaction to stay out of trouble - but two are easier than one…they set limits on each other.

I'm in the camp of always adopting two kittens because I learned the hard way, and the wonderful way at the same time.

Not an advisor, just a cat guy with an opinion. And I love my guy and girl equally and differently - because they are so different in personality! She cracks me up, he warms my heart. Yin and Yang.

varsettie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Indoors is great for Bengals as they can get in to all kinds of trouble, but with two of then I would try to slowly introduce them to a harness and get them walking outside when weather permits it. It’s good energy for them both.

I have a 5 year old cat named Atari who I had the same issue with. I was gone a lot and was worried she was lonely. We adopted a year old stray who wandered in to our backyard and at first it was hard. There was much growling, hissing, occasionally fighting that we had to break up, and this was even after the scent swapping ect ect. I spent a few nights crying because Atari actually attacked ‘me’ for bringing the new cat in. It was definitely not easy. Cats are also territorial, so expect a few scuffles even with proper introduction. The only time to be worried is when fur flies or blood is drawn. Everything else is them trying to figure out who’s the top cat. It will happen, even with proper introduction.

As for behaviour, yes you cat will change, but it will be for the better! I was terrified of Atari being less cuddly, talkative and affectionate. I loved her the way she was, but she’s still that loving cat now. She’s just happier and has someone to play with and roughhouse with. She still sleeps with me at night, she still comes for pets and cuddles, she still talks to me all day long, but now she seems less bored and she can play when ‘she’ wants to. Not when I get time to play with her.

It's not an easy transition but I believe it was worth every bit of stress.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mnstn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was reminded that my kitten hissed at her siblings and was an "outcast" when she was still with her litter. Does this make her unable to accept other cats?