Should I Get A Third Cat?

stormyandklaus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I have a dilemma. I have 2 cats. thinking about a third to play with my younger cat. here's some background on my cats to help you understand why I want a third/for you to provide input on if you think it's a good idea.

-older cat is 8 years old (shelters guess, he could be older or younger), mellow, and gentle

-younger cat is 1 year old and very playful, can be a bully to the older cat (but I think it's mostly because he's bored)

So I got younger cat to be a buddy to older cat. Yeah, in hindsight perhaps not the best pairing due to the age difference. I did think it could work though, because my older cat is playful and easygoing, but I know now he likes play, just not with his younger brother.

So things aren't outright hostile all the time (things are peaceful 70-80% of the time) and I never worry that they will kill or seriously injure one another, but chasing (younger chasing older) is an every day thing in our household. the older hisses and gets backed into corners, and will start swiping when the younger cat doesn't get the memo that his brother doesn't want to play. very rarely does it escalate to a fight, and a lot of the time my husband or I will separate them before that could happen. we leave them out together while we are at work 8am-5pm, and they do fine. I think this is because it's day time that the younger cat is more relaxed and sleeps most of the day. when we are home at night he is always extremely hyper though. and I know the solution is to play with him, and believe me we do! I usually do two 20 minute play sessions at night but it doesn't wear him out :( I will go back to sit on the couch and sometimes minutes later he will be pouncing or swatting at the older cat again. & I have looked up engaging ways to play with cats, like trying to play effectively so the toy imitates prey. I also take the cats on walks since they are harness trained which does help burning energy but I live in a very northern place so soon it will be too cold to take them out.

then there's the night time routine. currently we take turns with them in having one sleep out in our bedroom/main area and the other sleeps in the spare room. we make the spare room as comfy as possible and it has a litter box, food, water, cushions, and we lure them in there at night with treats or catnip to try and make it more positive :) we do this because the younger cat is so hyper at night and we just hear him heckling his brother and hisses, and running around which makes it hard to sleep. So what worries me about getting a third cat is the fact that we will have to have new cat separated in the spare room for the slow introduction period. Due to our night time routine, this could mean unpleasant nights for all of us--me and my husband because it will be hard for us to sleep, and my older cat because he won't get to sleep on the bed with us (the younger cat will certainly chase him off of it), and the younger cat because he's bored. I did consider that we could put a litter box in our room and still take turns with having younger and older sleep in the room with us while leaving the other in the living area, and the new cat in the spare room. Ideally eventually I want all to be able to sleep wherever with no closed doors but it's difficult now.

alright with all that background, here's the main reasons why I'm thinking about a third cat: to give my younger cat a play buddy (which hopefully in turn will mean my older cat will get a break) and to give a shelter cat a home. I would want cat #3 to be 2-5 years old probably, and playful but not domineering/aggressive. At the shelter I met a sweet girl 2 years old and her shelter note says very active so thats good. she is very sweet I could see her getting along with both my cats, but I don't know her history with other cats. but you just never know, my fear is getting a third, it not working out, and then having to take them back. the other part of me says that even though that sucks and is hard on the cat, it's also a good thing because if it doesn't work i will be able to provide the shelter more information on what would be the best home for the cat which would increase their chance of a successful adoption. I'm also nervous about stressing out my older cat. he has asthma and while we have it really well controlled now and he is doing so well on his inhaler, I still worry about him. I fear that the younger + cat #3 would gang up on him which would make things worse but the hope is they will mostly play with each other.

based on all of this information, do you guys think it's a good idea to get a third cat? oh and I think we have enough room..1000 sq ft apartment 2 bedrooms.

thank you to anyone that answers and makes it through this wall of text

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Try the litter box in your room and take turns, I think it would be great if you could give that shelter sweetie a chance. You'll never know til you try :)
If you do, I'm sending every good thought for success I have!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stormyandklaus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! Try the litter box in your room and take turns, I think it would be great if you could give that shelter sweetie a chance. You'll never know til you try :)
If you do, I'm sending every good thought for success I have!!
Thank you for the response! I still have to convince my husband haha but we will see. I just would feel so bad to bring a cat back to the shelter if things didn't work out but that's just a risk we will have to take I suppose.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1000 sq ft is plenty of room for three regular domestic cats. Some types of cats need more room and/or verticle space, but if they are all regular domestics or other cats that are okay without large amounts of space, you should be fine. Our house is less than 1000sq ft with three bedrooms, and we have nine ranging from 3 months to 13 years. (One has asthma, one is partially deaf, and one has chronic pancreatitis.)

If you do decide not to get another cat, you will need to up the amount of playtime with the younger one. If you do get it, make sure you take the time to introduce them all slowly to reduce the risk of the younger two creating a gang or fighting with each other.

stormyandklaus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
1000 sq ft is plenty of room for three regular domestic cats. Some types of cats need more room and/or verticle space, but if they are all regular domestics or other cats that are okay without large amounts of space, you should be fine. Our house is less than 1000sq ft with three bedrooms, and we have nine ranging from 3 months to 13 years. (One has asthma, one is partially deaf, and one has chronic pancreatitis.)

If you do decide not to get another cat, you will need to up the amount of playtime with the younger one. If you do get it, make sure you take the time to introduce them all slowly to reduce the risk of the younger two creating a gang or fighting with each other.
Thank you for your response. Vertical space is a good idea! Yeah, I could play with him more, but it just seems like he doesn't tire out or he's only tired for a bit before he's all revved up again . I know we will get a third cat eventually, I just don't know if now is the right time..I should also mention that we've only had our cats since April for the older one and since May for the younger one. So I don't know if adding another cat now is too much too soon. We also are only supposed to have 2 in our apartment, but our landlord lives off property and no one ever checks apartments. Plus my two cats now look the same so people probably think they are the same cat. I know getting more cats than your lease allows is a risk, and I've seen differing opinions on if you should do it or not. I'm just tired of being on edge all the time from my cats bickering. If we wait until we buy a house, we won't get another cat until at least August 2019, and my reason for wanting to get one now is so my younger guy can have a friend and be more fulfilled with playtime. And for the older one to relax some more and not feel like a target. So where im at is it best to follow the rules and deal with crap for at least another 10 months, or try to make it better now (assuming that cat #3 will make things better)?

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So where im at is it best to follow the rules and deal with crap for at least another 10 months, or try to make it better now (assuming that cat #3 will make things better)?
While I tend to be a rule follower, since it is unlikely that a third cat would actually cause issues with your landlord, I think trying to make it better now might be best for you and your cats.

When you got the new one, how did the introduction go?

Vertical space is always good! Six of ours like to be up high. Because of the space issue, being creative when making vertical space was essential, as it will be with you. We have two towers; a raised cat bed; window beds; an old tall footrest; shelves; bookshelves; a large bench style ottoman that triples as a cat bed, a footrest, and a gaming area; and the space above our cabinets. They are also permitted on the furniture and beds.

stormyandklaus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
While I tend to be a rule follower, since it is unlikely that a third cat would actually cause issues with your landlord, I think trying to make it better now might be best for you and your cats.

When you got the new one, how did the introduction go?

Vertical space is always good! Six of ours like to be up high. Because of the space issue, being creative when making vertical space was essential, as it will be with you. We have two towers; a raised cat bed; window beds; an old tall footrest; shelves; bookshelves; a large bench style ottoman that triples as a cat bed, a footrest, and a gaming area; and the space above our cabinets. They are also permitted on the furniture and beds.
Yeah, our landlord is pretty hands off anyway. She actually used to live in the unit right above us, but even then she never said anything to us and seemed to have the attitude of "as long as you're not causing any major trouble and pay your rent on time, I'll leave you alone".

Nice, sounds like you have a lot of vertical space! I would like to get another cat tower and we actually bought shelves to hang for the cats, we just need to put them up.

The introduction was okay. That was a stressful time for us because our older cat's asthma wasn't diagnosed yet and he was having lots of breathing problems, so we were very stressed about that alongside having a new rambunctious kitten (he was only 8 months at the time). Thinking back on it now, it was maybe not the best time to get a 2nd cat. Our older cat had started showing asthma symptoms before we got our younger cat but, I don't think it helped with all the changes he went through during that time (vet visits, new cat, new home, and also spring time I think made his breathing worse) and he was on prednisolone steroids at the time, which made him lethargic and not himself. So while I don't think their introduction was an utter disaster, that was a stressful time for us and I think that's part of my husband's hesitation. He's also a rule follower lol.

thank you very much for your advice, I will be talking with my husband some more and we will figure out what we want to do. Here's some photos of my boys, and a picture of the sweet gal from the shelter that I'm thinking about :)

Attachments

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw! What cuties! If you do get the third cat, do the introductions slowly. Most of ours took a week just because it was much less stressful on them all and I wanted to take my time. We do the same with fosters, although we have not fostered in a few months.

None of our cats came at the "right time." Haha! They all just sort of showed up one way or another.

stormyandklaus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aw! What cuties! If you do get the third cat, do the introductions slowly. Most of ours took a week just because it was much less stressful on them all and I wanted to take my time. We do the same with fosters, although we have not fostered in a few months.

None of our cats came at the "right time." Haha! They all just sort of showed up one way or another.
Yeah we did about a week introduction with them, but I think I could have done longer. My younger cat was desperate to get out of his safe room and explore though lol.

Haha that seems to be how it goes huh? I'm sure they are all happy to have a home <3

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha that seems to be how it goes huh?
Yeah, it does! Our baby Silas got cleared by the vet to be around other cats and he was out! He was only four/five weeks old when we found him. He is three months now. Only two of the others do not thrilled to have him around, yet they have warmed up a lot. Our Freya was a feral kitten who did not really warm up to the other cats very well. It took almost two years for her to start being affectionate to anyone but my daughter. Freya loves Silas. It is wonderful seeing her interact with him.

stormyandklaus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it does! Our baby Silas got cleared by the vet to be around other cats and he was out! He was only four/five weeks old when we found him. He is three months now. Only two of the others do not thrilled to have him around, yet they have warmed up a lot. Our Freya was a feral kitten who did not really warm up to the other cats very well. It took almost two years for her to start being affectionate to anyone but my daughter. Freya loves Silas. It is wonderful seeing her interact with him.
Isnt it funny how they just choose someone? Aww, I love that. Happy for Freya that she has a little pal and for Silas that he is accepted <3