Should I Get A Second Cat?

Sammiches

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know this question is asked many of times but I'd like to personally ask one as well.

For starters, my cat was adopted from the shelter at 6 months old and now she's 1 year and 7 months years old. I'm away from home 8~10 hours a day for 5 days a week and during that time she's just stuck in my apartment with not much to do. I mean I leave toys and stuff around for her to play with while I'm gone but that's about it. When I get home though she gets 3 hours of outside time and this happens as well before I go to work in the mornings.

Considering on getting a second cat but two things are of concern as to whether or not it'll work out. One concern is because she's scared to death of another human being that's not me. Two is that when she finds a cat outside, she hisses and runs towards them to chase them off. So deathly afraid of humans yet overly confident when finding a cat outside.

I was considering of just trying it out but more than getting her just a friend.... I plan to care for this cat as much as I care for my current one. So it's not like it'll be a secondary cat(though that is the primary reason to get the second cat) so I'm worried that if it doesn't work out it'll be really tough return the cat back to the shelter. I mean if it leaves me with no choice because the two kitties are tearing each other apart then I really don't have a choice in the matter.

For anyone who's curious, this is my cat.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tough call. Can you set up a Nanny cam to find out what your cat is doing when you are not at home. You might find that she is contented and sleeps most of the day but just wants your company when you are there.
If you do decide to get another cat, I personally would get a male kitten. Getting a second cat is a hit and miss thing. Please let us know what you decide.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, a young male, less than 6 months would be the best, females love to boss them around. Two females are usually too territorial and bossy around each other. Two males are the best. In my opinion two males and a female make the perfect family, the males can be buddies and playmates, teh female watches over them and keeps them in line!
It is a LONG process to introduce two cats to each other, it takes more often than not many months. The younger the newcomer, the better, but kittens also want to play and will approach the polder cat before they are ready. You MUST keep them separated for a period of time and swap sleeping blankets, etc. If you decide on a kitten, we are here to lend help and support any time you need it. Two cats are really no more trouble or expensive to keep then one. Make sure you bring BOTH to vet visits so the smells that they get while there don't make them strangers to the cat left at home.
Female cats are naturally loners too, they are the manners teachers and relish the role. They act like they don't like newcomers but inside like the chance to have something to do, and have something interesting to watch. Your cat chases away strangers in her yard because she is territorial. She will be the same with a kitten until she accepts them as a member of the family, and since cats hate change it will take a while! All the luck and keep us posted!

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, a young male, less than 6 months would be the best, females love to boss them around. Two females are usually too territorial and bossy around each other. Two males are the best. In my opinion two males and a female make the perfect family, the males can be buddies and playmates, teh female watches over them and keeps them in line!
It is a LONG process to introduce two cats to each other, it takes more often than not many months. The younger the newcomer, the better, but kittens also want to play and will approach the polder cat before they are ready. You MUST keep them separated for a period of time and swap sleeping blankets, etc. If you decide on a kitten, we are here to lend help and support any time you need it. Two cats are really no more trouble or expensive to keep then one. Make sure you bring BOTH to vet visits so the smells that they get while there don't make them strangers to the cat left at home.
Female cats are naturally loners too, they are the manners teachers and relish the role. They act like they don't like newcomers but inside like the chance to have something to do, and have something interesting to watch. Your cat chases away strangers in her yard because she is territorial. She will be the same with a kitten until she accepts them as a member of the family, and since cats hate change it will take a while! All the luck and keep us posted!

yeah that was our combo for years. 2 males one female. now we have 3 males one female. My experience says that getting a new kitten vs a new cat is not such a long introduction period. especially with a young cat being the second party. I say do it. get that second fur baby.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sammiches

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies guys! Yeah I've been looking for a male cat for a little bit now, not many matches the Luna's age. Found a female cat that's similar but I'm worried that they might get a bit too territorial with each other. I'm also worried that Luna may be a jealous cat. I mean this is what she wakes me up in the morning to do, just recorded this morning for an example and for me to keep for memory as well.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think the companionship trumps any jealousy that might happen. especially if you are gone a lot. it's the rare cat imo who isn't better off with another cat. but if you get another female it might be difficult if one isn't a kitten. if you want similar age you really should go for male. Females really can battle it out for alpha female.

Jayflower

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Your Luna looks like such a sweet little kitty! The videos of her that you posted are really cute!
I think you should get another kitty, so she will have a friend to play with when you aren't home. I agree with the others who said a young male kitten would probably be the best fit.

Nyblueeyes1090

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When I still lived with my mom we had a single female cat who seemed content enough with her life, partial indoor and partial outdoor. After she got out of her kitten stage, she did spend the majority of her time slumbering around but still a happy friendly cat. I've moved out since and now have my own two little cats. I was worried about taking on two with fear that it would be too much but I wouldn't have it any other way now. I know in your case they wouldn't be actual siblings like mine but after the introduction stage then they should bond like they are forever friends. The younger the better, in a lot of cases the older female will have her motherly instincts kick in and she'll train the kitten on behavioral skills and house manners. I think it's a great idea and so worth it once you see your fur babies cuddling and getting along!

Attachments