Should I Get A New Vet After This?

ramscici

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

This is going to be a long post, so bear with me.

A few weeks ago, my kitty Celeste got a flare up of what we think is feline herpes. She got a small infection on her lip, mouth and gums (happened before when she was a kitten) and it looked to be very painful because she would not eat without a LOT of coaxing, even though she was clearly hungry and would come and wait for her food. Being worried, I took her to the vet clinic we had been using since I brought her home at six weeks old. I trusted them since they had always treated her well and they have a number of good vets there -- but it is a walk in clinic and every day a different doctor is there. They work on rotation.

This particular day Celeste had a vet I had never met before. He came in, said hi, looked at her chart for a good few seconds, asked me what was going on, and then looked at her mouth. He said she had an infection, most likely some form of dermatitis. I thought it a bit strange that he didn't mention nor ask about her history of feline herpes virus, but I'm not the professional so I just let him do his thing. He said he would give her some antibiotics and then mentioned that we could either give her a blood panel now, to make sure her levels were good, or to wait and see if the antibiotics were making her better to avoid unnecessary charges. I knew her not eating was cause for great concern so I elected to just do the panel now just to be safe. He took her in another room to do, what I assumed to be, the tests.

When he came back with her he said he would have the results in a day or two and that they would call and that he also tested her for ringworm just in case. I asked if there was anything I could do to help her since she wasn't eating and was visibly uncomfortable and he said she looked well nourished and was hydrated and because of the location of the infection they didn't really give any topical stuff. He said to give the antibiotics some time to work and then come back if she wasn't better and he would have the results from the blood test soon. I thanked him and went to the front to get her antibiotics.

Now, Celeste has always been a very good cat and has pilled fine. I've had to give her a round of clavamox before for a URI, ten days, liquid, and she took it fine with minimal protests. It helped her quickly and she did well on it. Assuming that was what I was going to get I asked if I had any medication at the front desk. The receptionist looked at the bill, said no, that he had given her an injection and that I was all set.

This raised some alarm for me... I took a look at the bill and saw he had injected her with convenia. At the time I had no idea what convenia was, just that an injection of antibiotics sounded strange to me. So I left and did some researching on the drug and was thrown into a paranoid frenzy reading about the possible side effects. I was angry that he hadn't properly informed me of what he was going to do in the room he took her in -- I had no idea he was giving her a shot of antibiotics, just that he was "giving her some." I felt very uncomfortable with the fact that he hadn't explained the drug or why he was going to do it. And most of all, I don't understand why he went straight for the convenia despite the fact that Celeste has always taken liquid or pills fine, and he hadn't even asked.

Am I being overdramatic? Celeste ended up being fine and recovering, with no side effects from the convenia other than lethargy -- but did this vet handle it improperly? What are your thoughts?

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Interesting, I had a similar thing happen just yesterday for an animal bite. I thought I would get pills but the assistant gave him a shot. I didn't think anything about it till this morning when he barely ate anything. I did some research and had I have known what I know now I would have said no to the shot. I know now to always ask what he is being prescribed. I think my Vet. is a good one but you can't expect them to tell you everything without being asked IMO. Fortunately later this morning my cat seems to be okay. I think my Vet. likely used the Convenia is because I am giving and appetite stimulant and prednisolone in pill form already. I'm curious as to why you didn't bring up the Herpes with him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ramscici

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm curious as to why you didn't bring up the Herpes with him?
Looking back I definitely should have, but this was never a confirmed diagnosis -- just something that a previous vet had suspected she might have. Since he was the professional and looking at it he thought it to be dermatitis, I trusted his diagnosis. He also didn't ask me too many questions about her history. All in all he just seemed a bit rushed.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally I would be upset if my cat was treated with medication without my knowledge. It’s a shame it’s just this one guy. Is there any way to go to this clinic and mention not seeing him? Even if you wait longer?

If you do get him again, you would be more prepared and be clear about wanting to know all side effects.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've run into some similar issues at a clinic where the vets rotate. So we asked if there was any way we could request a specific vet, and were told that if our cats aren't in immediate distress and can wait another day or two, we can schedule an appointment with whoever we want. You might ask if that's an option for you.

We've learned that hard way that we have to be the best possible advocates that we can for our kitties. It's not that we don't have confidence in our vets. We do. We just don't blindly trust them anymore, and don't leave until we're satisfied that the vet has answered all of our questions to our satisfaction.

The next time you take Celeste to the vet, you might want to ask to have her tested for herpes. If she does test positive, there are some things you can do to help prevent or at least lessen the severity of flare ups.

Glad your kitty is doing better! :heartshape:

ramscici

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It’s a shame it’s just this one guy. Is there any way to go to this clinic and mention not seeing him? Even if you wait longer?

If you do get him again, you would be more prepared and be clear about wanting to know all side effects.
Exactly, all of the other vets there had been great, informative and helpful, which was why I wasn't as prepared as I should have been to question him. I guess there's always the one. I'll treat it as a lesson and at least now I know about convenia, potential side effects, and to always make sure you know exactly what your vet is going to do if they leave the room with your animal.

I think I will definitely ask about not getting him. The only problem is in the case of an emergency, if he's the only one there that day I won't really have a choice. But I will be questioning him!

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Looking back I definitely should have, but this was never a confirmed diagnosis -- just something that a previous vet had suspected she might have. Since he was the professional and looking at it he thought it to be dermatitis, I trusted his diagnosis. He also didn't ask me too many questions about her history. All in all he just seemed a bit rushed.
Maybe you should consider getting a different Vet. I changed mine after he told me we needed to put my cat down because of a growth in his intestine which he said would be inoperable because he had FIV. He initially said he would have to send me to get an ultrasound. I already wasn't impressed with him prior to that but he was close. When I went looking for a new Vet. I found my current one, he has inhouse ultrasound plus more and they are open 7 days a week plus take emergency calls after hours. The only thing I can complain about is pricing and it seems everyone does that.

ramscici

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The next time you take Celeste to the vet, you might want to ask to have her tested for herpes. If she does test positive, there are some things you can do to help prevent or at least lessen the severity of flare ups.
Great idea, I actually wasn't aware there was a definitive test, so I will definitely be doing that! I have been giving her regular supplements of lysine and they seem to help her. That particular week had just been a stressful one since we brought her new brother home so I think that's why it flared up, if she in fact has it. Thanks for the advice.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great idea, I actually wasn't aware there was a definitive test, so I will definitely be doing that! I have been giving her regular supplements of lysine and they seem to help her. That particular week had just been a stressful one since we brought her new brother home so I think that's why it flared up, if she in fact has it. Thanks for the advice.
If Celeste does have herpes, ask your vet if it's okay to bump up the dosage of l-lysine during flare ups. That seems to help our kitty with herpes. You might also want to ask him/her about lactoferrin as discussed in this old thread: Stubborn herpes infection? Add lactoferrin addition to Lysine. We also double the dose for that as well during flare ups.

Yes, stress can definitely be a trigger for herpes flare ups! Our vet suggested that we get some Feliway diffusers, and recommended OTC supplements that have a calming effect, such as Zylkene, or L-theanine treats. You might ask your vet is any of those could be suitable options for Celeste. :)

ramscici

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you cheeser cheeser for all of the tips. I'll be taking them for sure. Celeste's herpes hasn't been too bad so far, but she is only six months old and I have been giving her Viralys since she was a kitten so maybe that's why. I do have two Feliway diffusers and I will definitely be keeping lactoferrin, Zylkene and L-theanine treats in mind. Will bring all of this up at her next vet visit. :)