Should I Get A Kitten?

kpc1024

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i found a beautiful kitty that I love. I can adopt him tomorrow but I am going away july 1-7. Thats about three weeks to acclimate and learn to chill with my cat I already have. I would have a cat sitter come in but they would be alone for most of the day.
What should I do? Is three weeks long enough for a kitten to adjust?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, for the kitten most likely. But your older cat is more likely to be a problem, especially if its over two years old. It always surprises people, but older cats are often greatly stressed by kittens, and it might still be a big deal in 3 weeks. There are posts on this every single day here -- you wouldn't have to look far to find some. I strongly recommend waiting, especially but not limited to if your current cat is over two.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The local vet has cute cat condos, i can do that!
Before hand, ask for a brief tour and make sure they know this is a kitten that will need some extra TLC! Even the busiest of places (clinics are no exception) have workers that can't resist a playful kitten staying with them as a guest.. =)
And don't be afraid to call a few times (or daily, if you're like me) to check up on their condition and their status and how they're doing, and make sure you leave your contact information (cell number, etc., and keep it on!) and if possible a local contact person you know and trust (a parent, friend, spouse, adult kid, etc.) that can intervene if the rare problem should arise and you can't get to your phone.
It might stress the adult cat out when the kitten comes home smelling like a vets place but when your time away is over you should be able to introduce them and separate as necessary =)
Best of luck!! Please update if you can!