Should I Fix My Male Or Female

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Disclaimer: I'd never let a cat roam in a city. The cat we have at home is allowed in the backyard under supervision.
I do have to say though - patios, catios or leashes are the best way. If your cat is supervised, don't go to the bathroom or answer a phone while supervising. And, don't forget: If your cat bolts away from you, you won't be able to catch her if she 'do'. :lolup:

glassdish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You DEFINITELY need to have your cats spayed/neutered. Don't wait too long, have had 3 male cats, one we have now sprays once in a while even though neutered so likely was done too late, our outdoor male cat also neutered, has to live outside as he started territorial spraying when the other male was adopted (from elderly relative, had no choice). His original owner also allowed him free outside access and impossible to keep him in now. If I ever adopt a cat again, will be female only, the spraying thing is horrible and imossible to control.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You DEFINITELY need to have your cats spayed/neutered. Don't wait too long, have had 3 male cats, one we have now sprays once in a while even though neutered so likely was done too late, our outdoor male cat also neutered, has to live outside as he started territorial spraying when the other male was adopted (from elderly relative, had no choice). His original owner also allowed him free outside access and impossible to keep him in now. If I ever adopt a cat again, will be female only, the spraying thing is horrible and imossible to control.
Or adopt a neutered male from a shelter? Shelters practice early neutering and spaying as long as they are 2 months old and 2 pounds. I have 2 boys that were neutered at an early age and have no issues whatsoever. I'm sure many people here have males that don't spray either.

8kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Shelters practice early neutering and spaying as long as they are 2 months old and 2 pounds.
I would say most shelters and rescues do, if they have the funds. Sadly, many do not, and so the cat cannot be spayed/neutered unless someone adopts them and pays the adoption fee, which covers the cost of a certificate that states they must have it done at a local vet. I know our local county shelter can't afford to do that due to their rural location, and high intake of cats. Most rescues can, but some that are struggling to get by cannot. :( That's why it's up to us to adopt/donate!

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say most shelters and rescues do, if they have the funds. Sadly, many do not, and so the cat cannot be spayed/neutered unless someone adopts them and pays the adoption fee, which covers the cost of a certificate that states they must have it done at a local vet. I know our local county shelter can't afford to do that due to their rural location, and high intake of cats. Most rescues can, but some that are struggling to get by cannot. :( That's why it's up to us to adopt/donate!
Thank you for informing me! I have never lived in a rural setting so I am ignorant about all aspects of rural life.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Very similar here. You pay essentially a $25 deposit to adopt, and you have to sign a paper that says you will spay them within a certain timeframe. Once you return with proof that you have done it, your $25 is returned to you. I often wonder how many actually spend the money for fixing just to get $25 back :/

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, males and females can spray. It's all about defending territory. But early spay/neuter is a must for reducing cat overpopulation/loss of life (by far the most important reason, as anyone who loves a cat should care about all cats!), protecting feline health (from a number of reproductive-related diseases), and reducing or eliminating unwanted behaviors such as spraying, etc. I'm frankly shocked that anyone in 2018 would not know these things or take it upon themselves to become educated on the subject -- with access via the internet, there is no excuse for not knowing!

8kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
with access via the internet, there is no excuse for not knowing!
:yeah:

A quick Google search, or looking at your local animal control's Facebook page tells everything. If the health risks don't convince you, just looking at all the unwanted kittens should. Not to mention all the feral kittens being born outside and suffering....
That is why IMO, you should always fix your cat/kitten, unless they have some sort of life threatening condition that does not allow it. (But in that case, they would have to be kept inside)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:yeah:

A quick Google search, or looking at your local animal control's Facebook page tells everything. If the health risks don't convince you, just looking at all the unwanted kittens should. Not to mention all the feral kittens being born outside and suffering....
That is why IMO, you should always fix your cat/kitten, unless they have some sort of life threatening condition that does not allow it. (But in that case, they would have to be kept inside)
Cats should be indoors anyway, except for those who cannot live the indoor life (ferals, though not all ferals! Some can adapt to the indoor life. My Baby Su is one who has.)
And all cats and kittens are loved and wanted, though many are not able to find the loving permanent homes they need and deserve. FIX BY FIVE (spay/neuter by five months) or better still, after they reach 2 pounds in weight, is THE ANSWER.

8kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats should be indoors anyway, except for those who cannot live the indoor life
I totally agree. I think our cats are a unique case, since we could not fit them in the house for one, and two, they love exploring and hunting on our rural land.
I'm sure they would rather live outside and be vetted/loved/cared for, and take the good with the bad aspects of living outside, than sit in a cage waiting for a home. Some of them are already over the average lifespan for an outdoor cat, which is remarkable. I think having outdoor cats in the city/suburbs is much more risky, however.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I totally agree. I think our cats are a unique case, since we could not fit them in the house for one, and two, they love exploring and hunting on our rural land.
I'm sure they would rather live outside and be vetted/loved/cared for, and take the good with the bad aspects of living outside, than sit in a cage waiting for a home. Some of them are already over the average lifespan for an outdoor cat, which is remarkable. I think having outdoor cats in the city/suburbs is much more risky, however.
Your meme says it all, 8kitties 8kitties . No exceptions.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They should ALL be neutered (neuter can mean either male or female btw - castration and spay are the male and female variations of the term).

At the age they are now, and if they are all living together, prioritise the females - spaying immediately prevents reproduction, whereas males can still have some sperm left in their tubes after the op and can potentially still impregnate for up to a few weeks afterwards. So get the females done as your immediate priority, and keep the males in and take them in right afterwards.

Ghoulofnagoya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I personally would start with the females then save up money and do males later. I know it can be expensive but it is necessary.
Through the years my mom has had 3 females spayed . ONE almost died because vet assistant didn’t clean the tools after another cats surgery. That cat survived and is still kicking at age 17. My male cat was done no problems. Just make sure you get it done at reputable doctor who has sanitation standards.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing I can say about the risks in having surgery, is that out of MANY of the ones I have taken care of being spayed/neutered, two little girls died giving birth before they could get spayed, and NONE have died from the surgery itself. Unneutered males do NOT have a good life, they fight all the time (Yours WILL in time) ,lose eyes, have ears torn off and suffer with almost constant abscesses. Please spay and neuter all of them to give them a good life.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*And adding to di and bob di and bob 's post, those of us who care for cats -- and presumably that includes everyone on this site -- care about ALL cats and realize that spaying/neutering and adopting for LIFE are the ways to show caring for ALL cats by being personsally responsible and doing our part to reduce the overpopulation crisis. EVERY cat and kitten deserves a loving permanent home, and while this is not yet reality, each of us needs to do his/her part to ensure that we and our beloved feline family members are not adding to the population of cats and kittens.

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
S Selena800
You have not answered where you live.
In many places in the US, there are shelters and organizations that perform low cost spay/neuters.
Most of the cats I have had were spayed before I got them. My first cat was a stray I took in, and I got her spayed within 2 weeks and I never dealt with her in heat.
Trina was a younger stray just 2 years ago. I delayed spaying her because life got in the way. When I got back home, she went into heat. That week felt as if it lasted forever. She cried constantly and it was very difficult to be anywhere in our house.
I scheduled her spay as quickly as possible after that. I used the service at the Humane Society, as my vet wanted $400. I would have paid that if I had not been able to schedule with the low-cost option instead of experiencing Trina in heat again