Should I even consider taking on a fifth cat?

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am already responsible for 3 black cats aged 13, 8 and 6, and a tabby, aged perhaps 11 or 12. Two of them are cats I fostered for the local shelter so that they could have their kittens in peace. Kittens have all gone to new homes but no one wanted the adult cats. After five years they were each removed from the list of cats up for adoption and I take care of them. A third cat, with handicap, has been with me for two years and there is little to no hope that she will ever be adopted. The fourth cat has always been mine and is now 13, the last of my own cats. I can't pretend that these 4 female moggies particularly like each other but they spend most of their time together in the same room and there is only a limited amount of hissing, when Emily is worried she's going to miss out on being fed.

I have spent the last 40 years of my life taking care of unwanted strays, the cats my children brought home from the stables, or cats purchased from a local shelter to replace pets which had passed on. Since retiring I have fostered at least one hundred cats and kittens. Sometimes these were kept well away from my own cats, sometimes - as in the case of more seriously injured or sick kittens - they were kept in our living room so that I could keep an eye on them. My other cats survived the experience and even seemed to enjoy chasing and being chased by inquisitive kittens.

Recently, I stopped taking in fosters. I could look after another animal in my living area, but, no longer having the active support of my partner, I cannot "entertain" cats in a separate part of the house. It would be unfair to leave them on their own for most of the day. Even I can't be in two places at once!

So, what's the problem? A woman (Mrs X) living in sheltered accommodation asked my advice: she had bought two cats (father and kitten) from a cat rescue organisation. I imagine the cats were taken from a messy household - too many cats plus 4 children. Two cats were BLH, The female was pregnant and had two live kittens but, for some reason the mother cat and one of the kittens died or had to be euthanised. Mrs X brought the father and the surviving female kitten home when she was eight weeks old, The kitten had bonded so well with the father and it's lovely to see them together.

Unfortunately, the company running the sheltered accommodation will only allow 1 cat per apartment. Hence the problem. The kitten is now 4 months old. A really beautiful creature - though I'm not sure whether she's a BLH, Persian or ELH or simply a beautiful moggie!

Mrs X has decided to keep the male cat - now neutered and absolutely lovely! She has advertised on the Internet, local papers etc. but has had no satisfactory offers for the kitten. I told her, I would love to have her, but - really she needs a younger playmate than my cats and, would I be doing my cats a favour by introducing another cat into my household?

Mrs X would love me to take the kitten. Not only because she knows I have enough experience and sufficient income to pay vet bills etc. but because I only live 30 minutes away by car and, so long as she is able to drive, she could come to visit.

I am sorely tempted. I have never had a really pretty cat - let alone a beautiful one. I have fostered plenty but the poor, thin, unfriendly and sick cats are the ones which stay.

Should I be my usual sensible self or take a chance? The kitten will have her first vaccinations tomorrow - I insisted that I can't take an unprotected cat into my life, while I'm still involved trapping strays and coming into contact with hoarders and their animals. My contacts at the cat rescue, which I'm still involved with, think I've gone crazy. But - this will have to be my last cat anyway and ....... my grown-up children think it's a great idea and are more than willing to take responsibility for all 5 cats should I suddenly kick the bucket!

When I look at my cats sprawled about all over my living room in this heat, I feel bad just thinking about rocking the boat and bringing in a fifth!

Thanks for reading - I hope this makes sense!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you feel you can take this kitten on, I would go for it. She may bring out a little spunk with some of your older cats, and because she's still young, introductions MAY not be as difficult for the older ones...when it comes to accepting her that is...they may get annoyed if she's too playful for them, but she'll learn and eventually calm.
Perhaps it's time you "treat yourself" to a kitten that is not special needs. She still needs a loving home where she can thrive, so although you usually take on the unwanted, she is no less deserving than any animal who has the privilege of your care.
When you mention that your partner no longer actively supports you with the cats...how does (s)he feel about it?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
The six year old is young enough so that it may be interested in a playmate and the kitten is young enough so that the older cats will at least tolerate it until adulthood so if there is room in the house and the budget I would go with your heart and take the kitten.