Should I cut Spice's hair?

zandi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

G'day. We're coming into summer down here and most days are at least 30 degrees (86 F). Last week it was 34 one day and 36 degrees the next (92 and 100 F). This is normal for the rest of summer going into autumn. Another worry is that it'll be tick season when the wet starts. The only time the cats are allowed outside is twice a day in the green house which they love but it'll be a haven for ticks and fleas after the rain.

We live in an old Queenslander, rented, and it doesn't have aircon or ceiling fans. They're designed to use the breezes. Spike is nearly 8 months old now and is definitely an LHD. He's black on top and the hair is straight, shorter and not fluffy but thick. Underneath he's silver and this hair is soft and very long.

I'm thinking he must really be feeling the heat and even with the breezes it gets bloody hot inside. When we're home we wet him down a few times a day. My son and I are shift workers and at times we will both be doing days.

Does any one have any suggestions to keep him cool?

I'm not worried about his looks as much as his comfort but I don't fancy taking a shaver to a kitten, a large kitten with sharp teeth and claws. There's plenty of groomers for dogs around here but nothing for cats.

Any alternatives?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't shave him, that 'thick' fur is actually a coat of longer hair with a insulator coat underneath, it will actually insulate him from getting too hot. Our summers are often 90 degrees and above, and my long haired wild cats do fine as long as there is plenty of water and shade available. If you can, keep a fan running to provide cool air. Cats can stand surprisingly hot weather, after all, they are descendants from the desert and prefer it hotter than we do!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zandi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
​Thank you for your advice. I didn't know that. Makes sense though. The hair stays. I'm going to fill up at least 2 of their water bowls with ice, they have 4. He drinks a lot.