Should I Change What I'm Doing?

Kawenu

Another Midwesterner
Kitten
Purraise
Alright, so I'm gonna try really hard to include all the information I have at the moment. I wanna state that I'm making this post because I want to do the best for my cats as possible, so I'm completely prepared to hear what I don't necessarily want to hear. Be honest so I can do better!

So first thing is first! We have a 4 cat household, and all 4 cats are of varied ages. Betsy is our senior, guestimating her at around 13-14 years. Child is next in line at 7 years old. Oop is 4. Darwin is a kitten under 6 months.

Right now, we keep out dry food for the adults; Diamond Maintenance Cat. We fill the bowl twice a day, with limited food in separated areas of the house, along with fresh water kept near each spot. (We have two places now, but intend to add 4-5 places in our permanent residence, which we will be moving to soon. Living in limbo is rough..!)

Darwin eats Fancy Feast Classic Pate for kittens, once a day; used to do it twice a day, but since we no longer medicate him and have to make sure he eats first, we've been letting him get into the dry food.

What I'm really wondering is if I should cut out the dry food entirely, or start feeding a can of wet to each adult once a day? Here's the main reason I'm asking: Betsy.

Both my adult males have rejected most wet foods besides Friskies and Fancy Feast. (I tried 4Health and similar multiple times, and they wouldn't even taste it.)

I don't know that Betsy would be as picky. She is older, very fat, and is in pain as a result of her fatness. She has apparently always been fat, and while I have seen her narrow down since coming into my life, I feel she has hit a sort of plateau. She is not losing the weight she needs, and she shows it by waddling around in the rear, refusing to jump up or down if avoidable. She is also declawed (by previous owners), and has a hard time defending her space and I think this causes her to gorge herself periodically - although that is something else I have watched her get a lot better at, since she wasn't used to multiple eating spaces being available, prior. I have never had to manage a cat's weight before in this way, as I made a point to ensure my boys were both active and not eating too much. So while they are 15 and 18 lbs, it isn't from obesity. They're just big. Betsy is probably almost as much as Oop (15lbs) and should be half that, easily.

I looked thru several posts in this forum and I see Fancy Feast Classic Pate mentioned a lot. I assume this is a good option to follow for Betsy. Should I also adopt this for both my boys, to be safer long term? Would it be better as well, for a cat who may be at risk for UTI issues as he gets older? (Oop was neutered at 4 weeks by previous owners; Child was neutered at 1 yr.)

As for my dry food: Is sticking with what I'm using worth it, or should I switch to a different dry food? I have fed 4health before, but switched because this Diamond dry food was very similar, for a few dollars less.

Thank you in advance!!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I'd go with your thought of fancy feast for everyone, with some additional kibble snacks if you feel it necessary, inside a big box setup with a cat door in it that your fatty kitty can't access. Very often people have seen weight loss gradually occur, as it should (slowly, that is) simply by transitioning to wet food.

Transitioning Your Cat From Kibble To A New Type Of Food (canned, Raw, Or Homemade)

Transitioning Free-fed Kibble Kitties To Timed Meals

How Much Food Should I Feed My Cat?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I personally can't help you with the food. But, Betsy, who is older - may not only be slowing down just from weight - could also be affected by arthritis. And, when you mention pain from fatness - no, it is not pain from fatness - it is likely pain from arthritis which - yes - can be exacerbated by being overweight. But also an issue with many cats as they age.

So, yes, get her weight down if you can, BUT take her to the vet to have a full senior check-up, including a full senior blood panel to see how she is doing overall - assuming you haven't already. And, you should probably ask the vet about doing x-rays to see where/how much arthritis she has.

There are a number of treatments to help with arthritis as you try to slim her down. There is no reason for her to be in pain, along with trying at her age to deal with a diet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kawenu

Another Midwesterner
Kitten
Purraise
But, Betsy, who is older - may not only be slowing down just from weight - could also be affected by arthritis. And, when you mention pain from fatness - no, it is not pain from fatness - it is likely pain from arthritis which - yes - can be exacerbated by being overweight. But also an issue with many cats as they age.
You're absolutely right, thank you for asserting this to me. We really do need to get her to the vet for pain management.

Thank you, to both of you for your replies. Very informative and I'm really digging this forum for that!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We want to help - we truly do, in whatever small way we can contribute. You, like all of us, love our cats and want to do what is best for them!

I hope other members come along over the coming hours/days and can provide some additional help to you!

Please keep us posted. We not only love our cats, we love yours too. It's just our nature!

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it’s great to add wet food to all of the kitties diets ... generally it’s healthier. If you budget allows, you might want to switch to a healthier kibble - the Diamond Maintenance isn’t terrible but it is lower in protein and higher in carbs than ideal. Diamond Maintenance Cat Cat Food Review

We are also trying to switch from a mainly kibble diet to one of wet food (we have a picky middle aged man) and it is tough. It’s not cheap, but we feed Dr Elsey’s kibble because it’s high in protein, has medium fat and very low carbs. I’ve also heard people like Tiki Cat and Young Again brands as well.

We had an 18 lb cat - Trin - that gradually slimmed down just from changing his kibble. We were feeding him garbage (Purina Indoor Cat Chow) And we changed to Natural Balance which had the same carb content but more meat and over 3 years he lost 3 lbs and became much more active and energetic. So having meat be the first few ingredients is really important in any food.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kawenu

Another Midwesterner
Kitten
Purraise
I purchased a 30 pack of some classic pate today! I need to do a little research on available kibble in my area that is higher in protein. Hoping to find something to switch to before I get too close to the end of my current kibble food. Thank you for your insights so far. :D