Should I bring my cat to college?

Jbstrick

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I’ve looked into this a little, but I want a little more insight :)
I’m a freshman in college right now, and since I live in the dorms, I wasn’t able to bring any pets with me to school. However, next school year I am getting an apartment, and have been thinking about bringing my 15 year old cat with me.
Currently, she has never lived anywhere else other than with my parents in our childhood home, but about 5 years ago, we rescued another cat from the street (lol) and they do not get along at all. I also have two young and VERY active dogs that live at home, and while she doesn’t hate them, she is not too fond of being around them at all. Now, instead of roaming the house, my cat only stays on top of the washer/dryer in our laundry room or in the garage. She does not like to leave these areas unless I carry her all the way across the house to my room, and she complains the entire way there and back.
Even though she likes attention from everyone in the house, she’s really my cat. Whenever she sees me from the doorway of the laundry room, she will yell at me until I come pet her, and won’t calm down until I sit on top of the washing machine so she can sit in my lap, which she doesn’t do with anyone else. My mom also works most of the day, my brother has school, and my dad who works from home doesn’t really go into that area of the house much.
My apartment (1x1, 4 rooms) is a 10 minute walk from campus and about a 4 hour drive from home, and I would be driving back home for thanksgiving, winter, and spring break, as well as during the summer. I also visit my girlfriend for a weekend about once a month, and I wouldn’t be able to bring her. (Though with me having an apartment next year, she is able to come visit me and I won’t have to drive there as often). I won’t have any roommates or other animals that would need to be introduced to her, so it would just be the location change.
Since she likes being outside, my apartment also has a balcony area that can be easily cat-proofed, so she would be able to enjoy the space without me worrying about her escaping.
I realize that 15 is pretty old to be moving a cat, especially one who has never moved before, but we have grown up together, and she is already used to living in such a small space at home. She is completely healthy, has no trouble getting around, and hasn’t had any health issues at all in the past. The cost of taking care of her also wouldn’t be an issue for me. Depending on the week, my schedule could change a little, but I don’t have any super time consuming extracurriculars.
So, would she be lon the transitions be too stressful for her, or is this something I can consider? I would love to have her with me, but I just want to do what’s best for her in the end :)
Sorry for the essay about my baby haha and thank you for advice in advance!!
7D5D3335-F4B0-42D0-AF24-C267B8D8357E.jpeg

(A picture of her sitting on my lap)

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as you're there, I'm sure she'll love the change of pace and the focus shifting back to her instead of all the other animals at your parents' house. Sounds like a stressful home for her. Some cats travel better than others. If you're able to drive her around town and especially a short trip on the freeway or highway, you'll be able to tell if you've got a screamer. My last cat was great in the car. A few weak protests when the drive started but otherwise, she would remain quiet until she needed a break. When she started singing, I'd look for a place to safely pull over (usually a hotel parking lot) and put a litterbox at her feet and give her free roam of the inside of the parked car until she wanted to spend more time in my lap than roaming. My new cat, we've only had a few car rides: the one home from the shelter, and to the first vet visit and back. Small sample size, but I don't think this one likes freeways. She wasn't happy about the car ride to begin with. But she got louder when we got on the freeway or the expressway. If she doesn't travel well, you can talk to your vet about a sedative like gabapentin to make the drive easier for her. The only other thing I would say is that when you leave her for weekends, make sure you have a friend or a sitter who will come in and check on her and clean the litterbox even if she doesn't like strangers. It's going to be strange for her to suddenly be the only one in the home. There will likely be an adjustment period. But cats are highly adaptable. And I'm sure she will be happy with the change of pace and to be with her human on the regular once more.