Should I bring a feral to vet?

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have around 8 ferals living around my home. One has been here about 10 years and maybe once or twice a year I can touch her while she is eating. She has gotten very thin although had to tell as she is long haired but when I pet her her back is one huge mat but under that is skin and bone. I'd like to have it shaved and an exam but am afraid she will be so stressed it would kill her. She has that skinny, skeletal look they get before they die. She is eating ok but has some black discharge around her nose. I am conflicted as to what is best for her. Thanks for any advice.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, check that the vet you are considering will work with ferals. Also, ask them if they can provide you with gabapentin which will help calm the cat.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would check with the vet to see if they have suggestions. Giving gabapentin to an outside feral would be unwise. If you are unable to catch her, it leaves the cats so woozy and unsteady. She could injure herself or be very subject to an attack. If you are able to trap her and then give gabapentin that would work best. Many vets will offer to lightly sedate the cat as long as they are in a trap or carrier.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you been able to trap yet? Hopefully so - and hopefully you were able to get a vet who'll treat ferals (usually they'll only treat if the cat is in a humane trap). They're usually out there - it just may take some digging! Keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for the replies. I posted on Tuesday and she did not show for breakfast on Wednesday, first time ever. I was fairly certain she died and she has not been around since. We have coyotes and a resurgence of fishers (Fisher (animal) - Wikipedia) here in the Lake Region of the Poconos so she may have succumbed to a predator.

I have brought a feral that moved into my home about 3 winters ago to a vet so I do have a feral friendly vet who gave me gabapentin if I ever needed it.
From the replies I surmise it is the lesser of 2 evils to traumatize a feral by trapping and bringing to vet for an exam. They have all been trapped once already for TNR so a second trapping shouldn't kill them. Now I know what decision to make for any other feral that may need a vet visit. Thanks again.

Karen

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom, that is so touching. Thank you so much. She was a sweetheart but never wanted to come inside. She was trapped as a kitten with another kitten in trap with her. His eye was hanging out and half his tail was gone, probably attacked by a coyote. Brought him to vet for an enucleation and had him inside to recuperate and I never released him due to loss of the eye and he adapted well to be a house cat.. He is still with me though he also has had to have his teeth removed 2-3 years ago as they were very bad according to vet.