Should I Board Tom

MJO12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am going on vacation for 5 days. It's been years! My brother is coming to stay and care for my mother while I'm gone. Two of my cats will have no problems with a stranger caring for them. My Tom is afraid of everyone but me. Since my brother lives at a distance, other family members will be visiting him while I am gone. The house be full of of strangers (to Tom). I am afraid he will get out and run away. If he doesn't get out, he will hide somewhere and feel miserable. He will have diarrhea, too. On the other hand, boarding is stressful. I don't know what to do. P.S. He is a rescued alley cat who lived on the street for two years.

Wenda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
With boarding he'll have the double whammy of being around strangers and being in a new environment. Being able to stay home with his fellow cat buddies would likely be less stressful. At least that way he still has all his usual hiding/napping places to go to when he's feeling overwhelmed.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tape signs up reminding everybody not to let the cat escape. You can print them out on your computer in huge black letters. I have to do that, because nobody remembers to look out for the cats when they are opening doors. Put one on the front door, or whatever doors lead to the great outdoors. And if he's in a bedroom, put a sign on that door too. Trust me, without the signs, they won't remember.