Should I be worried?

zeusandheramum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 11 month old tom cat Zeus started twitching his tail a bit strangely today, should I be concerned? I made a video to show what I mean but I don't know how to upload it. Any advice will be very gratefully appreciated. He's never been like this before.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zeusandheramum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He also dips his back at the base of his tail when I stroke him there, you can see that on the video. He's never been like that before either.

alic23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi had a look at the video and it seems normal to me. My kitten does this she is 8 months old, sometimes i reckon it's because she is annoyed particularly where the tip swishes and flicks, or it could be over-stimulation (being petted) or excitement. Mine also moves her back end when stroked, i have read that a cat's base of the tail is particularly sensitive and not many like being over-petted in that area. Not sure about whether there's an issue if your kitten has ever done this before, though.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't see anything that looks unusual. He does have a long tail though. He is very cute  

Last edited:

zeusandheramum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's always had a flowing tail before with no jerky movements in it and this started this morning for the first time. When I've stroked him from head to tail tip before he's always been fine about it, but today when I get to his tail base he dips and slumps his back, as if he doesn't want to be touched there. He's never done that before. He's also purring less when I fuss him which is odd because in the past, all i had to do was look at him and he'd purr like crazy and so loudly i call him 'jet engine'! He's behaving normally in all other aspects, jumping/eating/walking etc normally (sleeping a tiny bit more but not that much), I'm just concerned because this is new for him and started out of the blue. Plus my other cat got attacked 2 weeks ago on her tail and needed treatment for it so I'm a bit hyper attentive to both of their every steps now!

zeusandheramum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Feel free to call me paranoid if that's the case! I would prefer to be told I'm being paranoid and over protective if the shoe fits, rather than be told he's poorly or something like that. Hera has cost me £120 this month already so if Zeus is still healthy and doesn't need to see a vet about his tail, I will be a happy bunny.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Zeus looks normal to me as well, but you know him best.  If you sense that something has changed, something probably has.  

The only thing you've said that seems a little bit off to me is that you say he dips his rear end downwards when you stroke him at the base of his tail.  In my experience, most cats actually raise their rear ends up in response.  However, it is true, as said above, that many cats are extra sensitive in that spot so this may not be anything to worry about.

It's the weekend and it definitely doesn't look like an emergency to me, so I'd just keep an eye on him.  If you notice any more changes that might indicate Zeus is in pain, call the vet on Monday.  

zeusandheramum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm relieved to hear he looks normal, but I shall still keep a good eye on him. Normally he raises his bottom when I tickle the base of his tail, but not on this occasion.

As I write this, he's being his normal flowing tail, jet engine self so alls back to normal for now but being a first time cat mum, I am still a bit worried, but that's just me - I worry too much!

Thank you all for checking for me, I appreciate your help, and for your kind words, I think he's cute too but I'm biased! I didn't realise he had a long tail (not that I'm concerned about that), are other cats tails shorter than that?

I shall keep an eye on him still. Thank you all again. I love everyone on this forum, you're all so helpful, kind and prompt with your replies!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's a beautiful cat for sure! I don't see anything abnormal, either. He looks fine. Mingo is VERY sensitive at the base of his tail. I saw a funny YouTube video of someone scratching the base of the cat's tail, and the cat talking back - ym, yum, um, etc. It was cute, so I tried scratching the base of Mingo's tail, and he cried out in pain! He will raise his butt with a full body stroke, but he tolerates no fussing around with the base of his tail. He will swat if you try. So I don't see anything unusual with your cat.