Should I be worried that the vet is not listed on AAFP's website?

jiazzi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had to book a last minute flight next week so being that it's going to be Christmas, the feline-only vet I go to is full - no boarding availability. I've been shopping for other boarding facilities and have had no luck (poor boarding facility or completely full).  Then I just did a yelp search and found a vet that is so close, clean, has a separate boarding area, but then found out that it's not in the AAFP directory...

I was planning to have my cat's teeth cleaned while having him boarded as he has consistently needed a teeth cleaning every 2-3 years and it's right at that mark...however - I'm not so sure anymore!  I've had very questionable vet service ever since I moved to this area 6 months ago.  My previous feline-only vet was AMAZING and I knew how fortunate I was to have such a highly competent vet w/ a top notch facility...but now I can't help but compare my former super-stellar vet to the places around me...

Anyways, long story short...now I'm thinking of postponing the teeth cleaning and just take kitty in for boarding as the boarding facility is well kept, smells fresh/clean, has a separate room for only cats, w/ lots of space, etc...but the vet isn't an AAFP member - should I be worried if I wanted to try this vet out for the future (i.e. dental cleaning?).  

kittymomma1122

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are they a member of the American Veterinary Medicine Society? Is it a new veterinarian? Most societies make you practice so long, or do so many cases before they will accept you in to their society.  I do not know what state you are in, but here in Michigan we can look up vets by name on the state web site to see their licensing status and if their have been any complaints or disciplinary actions. I work for surgeons and their society memberships are based on their sub-specialties.

I would not have my cat have any procedures done while I was not there or available.  If you are happy with your usual vet who is feline only, I would wait until I could get in with them.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Personally, I would postpone the dental. Even though this vet isn't AAFP certified, they may be very good. If it were me, I'd see how kitty did while boarding and when I got back in town, see about setting up a meet and greet with the vet (or vets.) I'd also schedule just a basic physical exam and see how I like the Dr and staff before I entrust them to do a procedure requiring anesthesia.

I also want to mention that the clinic I use has only one certified Feline Practitioner. I actually prefer several of the other vets over the FP as I feel they provide better care for my cats.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

jiazzi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@KittyMomma1122: Yes, I just checked the American Veterinary Society, and they are registered.  Not really happy with the current feline only vet that I go to but I knew that they boarded and I wouldn't have to be concerned about mixing in dogs in the same room...they also have all my kitty's medical record which is nice.
 Personally, I would postpone the dental. Even though this vet isn't AAFP certified, they may be very good. If it were me, I'd see how kitty did while boarding and when I got back in town, see about setting up a meet and greet with the vet (or vets.) I'd also schedule just a basic physical exam and see how I like the Dr and staff before I entrust them to do a procedure requiring anesthesia.

I also want to mention that the clinic I use has only one certified Feline Practitioner. I actually prefer several of the other vets over the FP as I feel they provide better care for my cats.
@CatPack  - Agreed.  I have been trying to find a practice like my former vet by seeing all the various certifications/programs they were involved in and thought that since they were a Gold Status Cat Friendly clinic, I assumed ALL gold status cat friendly clinics would be held to the same standard...I'm quickly learning that is not the case...It seems like all you have to do is set up a separate waiting room for cats only, plug in Feliway, sell a lot of sponsor products (Hill, Bayer, etc), and you are good to go...I was appalled at one specific gold status cat friendly clinic I looked at yesterday...the boarding facility looked so bad I wanted to run away.  

I had set up an appointment to have the vet do a basic physical exam when dropping off my kitty for boarding.  I'm going to stick w/ it...and in the meantime, I'm sure I can find some vet interviewing tips.  If anyone knows of any good articles/links, please send them my way.  Thanks!