Should I be worried - sporadic inappropriate urination?

lucentstreak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I'm not sure if this should be health or behavior but here goes:

So today is my second day of my staycation and I was having an afternoon nap with Hugo (10 months old male rescue)  on my bed. Shortly after I woke up, I found him in a loaf position next to a coin sized (maybe $0.50) wet spot. I had just changed the sheets the day before and thought maybe I drooled or something but upon coming in, it smelt different. I tried to get him to smell it and of course, he just tried to bite back.

The last time he just peed in my bed out of the blue was because I had an unexpected visit from the handy man to inspect the windows.  The handy man was using an electric drill with a high toned whine to screw in the loose screws in the window frames which resulted in Hugo freaking out and me spending time with him in the bathroom (I live in a 1 bedroom) while the handy man finished his job.

This time, I'm just wondering whether it was because I tried to put ear cleanser on him (he doesn't like it -at all-) earlier in the day or is it a sign of urinary difficulties. I say this because over the last 3 days, his clump in the litter box has been inconsistent. Yesterday was basically one small golf ball and 4 days ago, it was a baseball sized clump.

He has been neutered at 6 months and is kept on a diet of grain free dry and wet. Hugo has been drinking water though.

Thanks!

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi @lucentstreak

there cold be many causes for this, but a urinary tract infection would be high on my list of suspects.  A vet visit is in order.

Has he been spending more time in the litter box, or straining in any way, or meowing?

Please do not try and make him smell his own urine, this will make things worse not better. Clean the are well with an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle.

What type of ear cleaner are you using and does he have dirty ears that require this? Did your vet put him on the cleaner?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lucentstreak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Hi @lucentstreak

there cold be many causes for this, but a urinary tract infection would be high on my list of suspects.  A vet visit is in order.

Has he been spending more time in the litter box, or straining in any way, or meowing?

Please do not try and make him smell his own urine, this will make things worse not better. Clean the are well with an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle.

What type of ear cleaner are you using and does he have dirty ears that require this? Did your vet put him on the cleaner?
Hi Stephen,

Thanks for this.

No, he hasn't spent more time in the litterbox or straining in any way. His meowing, well, is only when he is hungry or when he wants to play Da Bird (recent convert). The only time he meowed that is remotely closed to the litter box is after he is done and out of it as though a kind of declaration that he is out.

I will clean it well -it is currently soaked in Urine Off and thank you on the tip of not making him smell his stuff. He seems fine - playing eating and drinking water. I think he went to the box this evening.

For his ears, it was just something that SPCA vet tech told me to buy and use when I first got him. I believe it is the Epi-optic ear cleanser.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi @lucentstreak

Epiotic is a fine and gentle cleaner, but if his ears are clean there is no reason to use it and if its pissing him off, more reason not to use it.  If a cat has dirty ears, getting them clean usually ends the issue, but if the "dirt" comes back then its probably ear mites and you need more specialized treatment.  Absent dirty ears, there is no reason to clean them, they should remain clean if they are healthy.

I would still consult a vet and rule out a UTI or bladder infection.