Should I be giving my cats wet food as well as dry?

KittyCat_chitchat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our family two cats currently live on high-quality, high-meat content dry food we get from a little shop area in our vet's office. Ozzie has lived on dry for years. Cleo was living on a mixture of wet and dry before we adopted her last month, and the organisation we got her from recommended a mixed wet/dry diet.

Due to Ozzie's tendency to put on too much weight and my reading articles and posts on this forum, I'm now thinking I should be giving them some wet food. I've read that feeding some wet can reduce the chances of cats being overweight, keep their teeth in better condition, and reduce the amount they hunt.

However, when we asked our vets about this, they said the cats should be fine on just dry as long as it was high-quality brands like the one we get from them. My parents are happy with that answer and they pay for the cat food at the moment as I've only just got a job after a six-month employment gap, so it's a bit awkward my telling them that maybe we should look into getting some wet as well.

What is everyone's opinions on this?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I always encourage people to feed at least one can a day of wet food with some extra water added. It doesn't need to be a fancy brand. Whatever is affordable.

It's easy to do with two cats because you can give 1/2 can each in the AM and 1/2 in the PM.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Our family two cats currently live on high-quality, high-meat content dry food we get from a little shop area in our vet's office. Ozzie has lived on dry for years. Cleo was living on a mixture of wet and dry before we adopted her last month, and the organisation we got her from recommended a mixed wet/dry diet.

Due to Ozzie's tendency to put on too much weight and my reading articles and posts on this forum, I'm now thinking I should be giving them some wet food. I've read that feeding some wet can reduce the chances of cats being overweight, keep their teeth in better condition, and reduce the amount they hunt.

However, when we asked our vets about this, they said the cats should be fine on just dry as long as it was high-quality brands like the one we get from them. My parents are happy with that answer and they pay for the cat food at the moment as I've only just got a job after a six-month employment gap, so it's a bit awkward my telling them that maybe we should look into getting some wet as well.

What is everyone's opinions on this?
I left my cat dry out while on vacation. Few days after I came home she had a temp and lethargic. She had a stool stuck in her ,high white blood count,and on meds for 2 weeks. I've learned my lesson! I feed her wet. All 3 of my cats are at a healthy weight. They eat pate,minced,and shredded chicken,beef,lamb,salmon,turkey 3x a day. My friend fed her cat hills science diet dry.her cat was obese and diabetic. As your cat ages,wet will be needed more and hard to switch to if on dry

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always post these links to my threads on the topic of mixing wet and dry food. In case they may help...

Wet/dry food ratio and pooping issues
Dealing with dry-food addiction

Long story short, my cat ate dry food most of his life, and then I introduced wet food, but always kept some percentage of dry food in his diet. Because he actually pooped BETTER when maintaining some dry food in his diet (I don't think that's typical, but that's why I post my links, in case it applies to you).

He's always been a dry-food guy, but I successfully got him on a 75%/25% wet/dry diet for a while.

Now, he is back to 90% dry, because he has cancer and I am just trying to get him to eat whatever he is interested in eating. And he always preferred dry.

Pywacket21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feed my boy 1/2 can FF pate am, 1/2 can pm. He has dry, science diet available all the time. He’s 2, good weight normal potty.

Uncled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine eat on a schedule, wet food mixed with a little kibble in the a.m., Tablespoon each of kibble around noon and wet food /kibble in the evening.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
High-quality dry is fine as long as you encourage water too. Cats are prone to kidney issues and that is why they need adequate water. i set several small bowls or cups of water around and move them once in a while. Cats are SO curious they usually go check them out to see what is in them. Then more often than not they drink.

Potter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i like that the vet says" as long as its the brand we sell"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyCat_chitchat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just as an update, Cleo and Ozzie now get some kibble each in the morning, one sachet of Felix each in the evening, and a TINY bit of kibble to settle them in for the night when they go to bed. Their weight is much better for this. Cleo's ribs are tangible without being visible. Ozzie is still a bit overweight but far better than he was. So it looks like this is working!

CyberTiger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just as an update, Cleo and Ozzie now get some kibble each in the morning, one sachet of Felix each in the evening, and a TINY bit of kibble to settle them in for the night when they go to bed. Their weight is much better for this. Cleo's ribs are tangible without being visible. Ozzie is still a bit overweight but far better than he was. So it looks like this is working!
I'm glad to see it's helping!

The thing to watch out for is losing weight too fast. Cat livers can't process that well and it can result in fatty liver disease. But maybe you're already on top of that.

KittyCat_chitchat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you, that's good to know. We've tried to reduce things slowly and will certainly keep an eye, as Ozzie did seem to lose quite a bit over the last couple of weeks. He has been eating any Cleo leaves, though, so that will have cushioned the blow (and his ribcage...)! How quickly is too quickly, and, worst case scenario, what are the signs/treatment?

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know I may be late to this and I am glad the kitties are doing better. But I wanna weigh in on what I feed my boys.

Both Casper & Scooter get a mix of wet and dry food. They both have better bowl movements with this combo. Since Scooter’s UTI scare in September they get 2 feedings then some kibble when I go to bed to keep them happy. 1 can of cat food will give me 3 wet feedings for both. Since I add water to the wet food it actually makes it stretch to give them a good meal. Since doing this it has actually made Scooter drink more water. Casper he always drinks water never had an issue with him. Every cat I have ever had always got both wet & dry food all lived long long lives. My last cat made it to 16. I think kitties need a little variety sometimes.

But I am glad your kitties are doing better!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
1 can of cat food will give me 3 wet feedings for both. Since
This is a 5 oz can I assume, but even with the kibble I still think that isn't enough food for two adult cats.

Have you checked their actual daily caloric intake? For example Mr Captain, in order to slowly lose a little weight, could have 230 calories daily, according to the vet. My calculation for him was a little higher, but in any case you might want to check into this.

How Much Food Should I Feed My Cat? [Answered] - TheCatSite

KittyCat_chitchat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As it's been a while since I've been on here, I just thought I'd update. The cats are still on morning kibble, a wet sachet each in the evening, and tiny bit of kibble just before bed. They're now being fed in adjoining rooms rather than side by side as there was sometimes fighting when they were waiting for a meal. Separate feeding stations seems to have solved that, and also seems to have reduced the eating out of each other's bowls, although this sometimes still happens.

They have no toileting issues that I can see. I regularly check their ribs when I'm petting them. Ozzie's are easy to feel but not visible. Cleo went tubby for a while around Christmas (but then don't we all LOL?), and I think she still has a little more spare flesh on her than Oz, but I can feel her ribs, so all good. I think, though, that being rescue cats neither of them have an 'off switch' on hunger. Cleo sometimes catches mice when she's in the garden and will eat them given half a chance, but sometimes doesn't accept a toy as a substitute. Parasites are a worry, but both these cats are livewires who'd go nuts if they didn't get their garden time, so they get regular oral worm and flea treatment. Both of them will try and crowd round whichever bowl is filled first, so you have to physically move the other one to their bowl and show them that yes, you are filling that one too! There doesn't seem to be any bullying when this happens, just a race of kitty desperation!

Overall, the wet/dry seems to be suiting them and so far we're keeping on top of their attempts to nick each other's food!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Cats are prone to kidney issues and that is why they need adequate water.
I agree and this was my biggest concern when we adopted our male cat plus developing cystitis. He lived on whatever dry food the shelter gave him and it took quite awhile to transition him to wet but it made me feel so much better once I did especially since males can be more prone to cystitis. He gets a snack of dry food at night but primarily wet food which I add a little warm water too.

I'm glad you found a diet that works for Ozzie and Cleo. Keep up the good work! :thumbsup: