Should I Be Feeding Them Kitten Food?

Rowan_1102

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm new to this sight and still trying to get a feel for it, but I have a question regarding "kitten" vs "cat" food. I have two cats 5 and 6 months old. I originally was feeding them wet and dry food formulated for kittens. Then I read recently that a wet food diet is better for cats (Sable-5 months also started to vomit up her dry food) so I switched them to a rotation of EVO canned, Taste of the Wild canned, and Fancy Feast canned. My question is should I be feeding them specially formulated kitten food instead? Is what I'm feeding them okay?

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the forums, and good decision to switch to all wet. :catman:

You don't have to feed food that is labelled specifically for kittens. You can also feed food that has a label stating that it meets the AAFCO guidelines for all life stages.

If it says that it is specifically for adults, it probably is still fine, but I wouldn't make it my main or only source of food. The risk is only that it might not be high enough in protein.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is true. Kitten food is supposedly higher in calories, etc., but is probably more of a marketing ploy. If what you are feeding doesn't say "senior" or "mature" or specifically single out a type of age, you should be good to go.

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I read labels and compare nutritional info to choose what to feed them. I thought there were additional minerals to kitten food that would justify such a distinction, but it doesn't appear to be the case, so...

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A good, nutritious all life stages food is fine for kittens. Many owners who do choose to use a kitten food have already transitioned to adult food by 5-6 months anyway. I don't see a reason to keep your cats on kitten food, especially at their age.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rowan_1102

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone for the good advice! I'm just an overly concerned new mom sometimes!