Should I Be Concerned??

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone!! I have a previous post on here about my cat Lucky who has a respiratory infection & she was hardly eating. Anyway she is eating & drinking the same as before she got sick only thing that concerns me is she is laying on this little couch we have outside for a few hours in the morning time & then she’ll get up & go explore the yard. Like last night she just wanted to stay outside & play it was hard to get her inside. She is running around with the other cat outside (her brother Dusty) & ive seen her initiate the playing with him so I’m assuming she is okay I’m probably just worrying for nothing. Also her cough from the respiratory infection is almost gone she did a little bit of coughing this morning but I can no longer hear her breathing when she eats. I’m wondering if it could be the time released meds the vet gave her for 2 weeks or the L-Lysine that we put in her wet food to help her immune system because by afternoon she is much more energetic. Any help would put my mind at ease! Thanks everyone!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone!! I have a previous post on here about my cat Lucky who has a respiratory infection & she was hardly eating. Anyway she is eating & drinking the same as before she got sick only thing that concerns me is she is laying on this little couch we have outside for a few hours in the morning time & then she’ll get up & go explore the yard. Like last night she just wanted to stay outside & play it was hard to get her inside. She is running around with the other cat outside (her brother Dusty) & ive seen her initiate the playing with him so I’m assuming she is okay I’m probably just worrying for nothing. Also her cough from the respiratory infection is almost gone she did a little bit of coughing this morning but I can no longer hear her breathing when she eats. I’m wondering if it could be the time released meds the vet gave her for 2 weeks or the L-Lysine that we put in her wet food to help her immune system because by afternoon she is much more energetic. Any help would put my mind at ease! Thanks everyone!!
It’s day 5 of the meds btw

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
To clarify, you're worried because she has more energy in the afternoon but not in the morning? Or you're worried because she's playing too much and you hope its not too soon for that?

Also, is the time released medicine you're referring to an antibiotic shot?

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
To clarify, you're worried because she has more energy in the afternoon but not in the morning? Or you're worried because she's playing too much and you hope its not too soon for that?

Also, is the time released medicine you're referring to an antibiotic shot?
Yes it’s the antibiotic shot.
I was just concerned because she usually is on the go throughout the day & now she wants to go outside right when we wake up but she hangs out on the porch & then when it hits evening time she goes off exploring & running around. So I was worried that she was still feeling sick or the meds were slowing her down.

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes it’s the antibiotic shot.
I was just concerned because she usually is on the go throughout the day & now she wants to go outside right when we wake up but she hangs out on the porch & then when it hits evening time she goes off exploring & running around. So I was worried that she was still feeling sick or the meds were slowing her down.
Gotcha! Just to give you some info: Covenia (the antibiotic shot) can be pretty controversial because some cats have really bad reactions to it. Due to it being a shot, there is no way to remove the problem if the antibiotic does cause issues. I just wanted to let you know that in case you didn't. I have seen stories of cats getting the shot and recovering beautifully! But again, because it's a shot, that adds to the risk if something were to go wrong.

Now, thats not meant to worry you at all! In general, some antibiotics, even oral ones, can cause cats to feel a bit crummier. However, I think since she's running around later, it's probably not that. Is it really hot right now? In general, cats are slower and more lethargic when its hot so she might be hanging out waiting till its cooler to run around. She's probably just wanting to hang out outside now that she's not feeling as awful before with URI and not eating.

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Gotcha! Just to give you some info: Covenia (the antibiotic shot) can be pretty controversial because some cats have really bad reactions to it. Due to it being a shot, there is no way to remove the problem if the antibiotic does cause issues. I just wanted to let you know that in case you didn't. I have seen stories of cats getting the shot and recovering beautifully! But again, because it's a shot, that adds to the risk if something were to go wrong.

Now, thats not meant to worry you at all! In general, some antibiotics, even oral ones, can cause cats to feel a bit crummier. However, I think since she's running around later, it's probably not that. Is it really hot right now? In general, cats are slower and more lethargic when its hot so she might be hanging out waiting till its cooler to run around. She's probably just wanting to hang out outside now that she's not feeling as awful before with URI and not eating.
We’ve brought her to the same vet with this issue & he never gave her this kind of antibiotic shot just the oral antibiotic but now we are doing both. Plus L—Lsyine which he recommend she take to boost her immune system for the rest of her life since this is a reoccurring thing for her.
It’s about 75/80 here which is kinda warm but hasn’t really stopped her before. She did the same thing last night where at about 5:30 she was out & about not sitting around but we took her in at 7 even though she didn’t want to come in. She paced the house like she usually does when she wants to go back out but can’t. My only concern now is she threw up in the middle of the night (there was food in it) & then did her cough. I feel like I’m analyzing everything she does but I’m just sooo concerned. I would like to bring her back to the vet but she gets so stressed out that I hate doing that to her but think I might just for peace of mind.

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We’ve brought her to the same vet with this issue & he never gave her this kind of antibiotic shot just the oral antibiotic but now we are doing both. Plus L—Lsyine which he recommend she take to boost her immune system for the rest of her life since this is a reoccurring thing for her.
It’s about 75/80 here which is kinda warm but hasn’t really stopped her before. She did the same thing last night where at about 5:30 she was out & about not sitting around but we took her in at 7 even though she didn’t want to come in. She paced the house like she usually does when she wants to go back out but can’t. My only concern now is she threw up in the middle of the night (there was food in it) & then did her cough. I feel like I’m analyzing everything she does but I’m just sooo concerned. I would like to bring her back to the vet but she gets so stressed out that I hate doing that to her but think I might just for peace of mind.
I definitely would recommend taking her in then. Your peace of mind is just as important! The cats can pick up on that stress and worry. And even if the vet visit does tell you "It's all fine", you can give her lots of treats or toys that she likes as way to bring her stress levels down from the vet. That way you have your peace of mind and she'll get her stress levels down too.

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I definitely would recommend taking her in then. Your peace of mind is just as important! The cats can pick up on that stress and worry. And even if the vet visit does tell you "It's all fine", you can give her lots of treats or toys that she likes as way to bring her stress levels down from the vet. That way you have your peace of mind and she'll get her stress levels down too.
I got in touch with the vet & they said it’s defiantly the meds that are making her like this. Apparently she was on the shot before when they looked at her history but my husband might of took her alone to an appointment so I was unaware. Since she is eating, drinking & playing with her brother later on in the day they think wait it out since she gets so stressed riding in the car (it’s a 20 min drive)
I did get new wet food for her which on my part was a mistake since that can upset her tummy so back to her Iams we go.
I can’t wait till she is 100% & if she gets sick again I am not doing that Covenia! Thanks for the replies & listening to all my rambling!