Should I be concerned about an 8 month old kitten still nursing.

SpaceLamb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I'm not overly concerned about this but wanted to make sure there was no issues with this. My kitten, Duck, who is eight months old still nurses daily from her mom, Goose. She doesn't nurse often, usually once or twice a day when they're both sleepy she'll nurse for about thirty minutes and then they'll curl up together and go to sleep. I know it's more than likely a comfort thing for Duck and Goose doesn't seem to mind, she'll roll over and groom Duck while she nurses. I also think Duck being the only kitten in the litter might have something to do with them being pretty bonded to each other. Both girls are spayed if that makes any difference, and I would be surprised if Duck was still producing milk since it's been so long since she's had a litter of kittens. I've tried googling and everything either talks about kittens who are much younger or just says the mom will kick them away when she's done nursing.

I guess I just wanted to make sure there was no way this could harm Goose and see if there was any reason I should separate the two and discourage the nursing. Thanks so much for any advice!

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I'm not overly concerned about this but wanted to make sure there was no issues with this. My kitten, Duck, who is eight months old still nurses daily from her mom, Goose. She doesn't nurse often, usually once or twice a day when they're both sleepy she'll nurse for about thirty minutes and then they'll curl up together and go to sleep. I know it's more than likely a comfort thing for Duck and Goose doesn't seem to mind, she'll roll over and groom Duck while she nurses. I also think Duck being the only kitten in the litter might have something to do with them being pretty bonded to each other. Both girls are spayed if that makes any difference, and I would be surprised if Duck was still producing milk since it's been so long since she's had a litter of kittens. I've tried googling and everything either talks about kittens who are much younger or just says the mom will kick them away when she's done nursing.

I guess I just wanted to make sure there was no way this could harm Goose and see if there was any reason I should separate the two and discourage the nursing. Thanks so much for any advice!
I have no experience in this type of thing but it sounds like it's a comfort/soothing type of thing for both. Lord knows my left shirt sleeve doesn't produce any milk but that doesn't stop Boone from suckling it until he falls asleep. :lol2: I think you are right about being the only kitten.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My cat’s kittens nursed for close to a year. Everyone was spayed and neutered so it was pure comfort suckling. Mom finally got fed up with it and would get up with a growl and move. Five years later and all are fine! It’s not an issue. When your mom cat has had enough she’ll let her kitten know! :)

Last edited: