Should I Add Wet Food?

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Gohan is kind of picky, and seemed to like really soupy pates with not much texture. We currently feed him Caru Stews (we get it from chewy). Our other cat Olive eats more of a variety, Rawz pates, Life’s Abundance, Fromm and some dehydrated raw food (currently Stella and Chewy). We tend to buy food that’s a little more expensive, but there are lots of other brands that are cheaper and a lot of people here can suggest (Fancy Feast I think is one of them).

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Made in thailand is fine. Much much better than China.

bpenniman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitten has been on a complete dry food only diet. Do you think it's best for them to add some wet as well?
I would say absolutely. Making the switch to 80-90% soft food for my cats has given them more energy, cleared up behavioral issues in one of my cats, and given them less hairballs. Soft food can be expensive and if you can't afford the expensive brands, even friskies soft food is still somewhat better than most dry cat foods. I would try and go with the better brands but most soft foods are still better than most dry foods.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gohan is kind of picky, and seemed to like really soupy pates with not much texture. We currently feed him Caru Stews (we get it from chewy). Our other cat Olive eats more of a variety, Rawz pates, Life’s Abundance, Fromm and some dehydrated raw food (currently Stella and Chewy). We tend to buy food that’s a little more expensive, but there are lots of other brands that are cheaper and a lot of people here can suggest (Fancy Feast I think is one of them).
We also feed a can of Fromm once a week plus some Rawz, both pates and shreds. Weruva BFF pates (pouches and cans) are also on the menu and the cats seem to like Chewy's Miko chicken/turkey shreds. We also feed a weekly serving of Sheba pate, which is, indeed, cheaper and easier to find. It's also very decent food that the cats love. (And even though I curse those "Perfect Portion" containers when I'm opening them, they're really handy to have around when you just need to feed one cat a make up meal after a barf or other incident!)

BaileyCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feed raw, but there was a time when I fed canned only. I rotated proteins and brands. The more I learned about cats being obligate carnivores, pet food manufactures, ingredients, etc., the more I would change what I fed.

However if my local grocery store was my only choice for purchasing cat food, or if cost was an issue...I would have fed Fancy Feast CLASSICS.

Lotusflwr79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It’s super important to feed wet food. For one, they need the moisture. Cats don’t tend to drink water enough and that can lead to dehydration which is very common in cats. I feed a mix of dry Science Diet and wet Whole Hearted chicken morning and night to both my 4 and 5 month old kittens. I’m actually trying to wean them off of the dry kibble at night. I usually leave about 1 cup of dry food out for them to graze on both morning and night. I’m no longer leaving it out at night. I’m in the process of trying to figure what is causing my 4 month old Maine coon to vomit occasionally and I think it’s the dry kibble. I also heat up the wet food if I’ve had it in the fridge for 10 seconds in microwave. The cats love the aroma and they devour it every time. So to answer your question, yes, you should be feeding wet food and in my opinion, I think it’s more important that the dry food. My last cat died of kidney disease and in the end she was on a wet food slurry diet only and it’s what kept her alive for so long. 😊

kittycatcare

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, absolutely! Especially important for kittens because their tiny mouths and baby teeth aren't great for dry food. When I was a kid my neighbor's cat (Oreo.. I miss her) had kidney failure when she was only 8 and the vet said it was because she never ate any wet food. Since cats don't really have the instinct to drink a lot of water they need wet food to keep them hydrated. I only feed my Gracie a little less than a cup per day of dry kibble, and that's only because I can't afford to feed her strictly wet food or else I would. Don't start with wet all at once though because it will upset your kitten's tummy.. do it slowly by adding a tiny bit more each day. It took Oreo 3 months to fully transition to wet food so you'll definitely need to be patient! When I was trying to figure out the best wet food for Gracie this website helped me figure it out. Good luck!! :)