Should A 17 Yr Old Cat Be Staying Alone @home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ilana Boon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just my opinion- my senior cats preferred to stay home. The pet sitter came every other day to change the water and clean the litter. Now I was feeding kibble then so that was less of an issue. Mine liked being home. The sitter had emergency contact info and the vet’s information.

I have three youngsters now who eat canned food and when I travel my sitter now comes twice a day.

If I may- I too am a widow. I was the caretaker for my husband for many years. I enjoy traveling and want the chance to do so while I have my health and the resources. If the current plans for the cat are not enough for you to be comfortable, could you bring the cat to your house? Just a thought.
Mig
Hi!
Can you (not enough time?) or can you have someone else, set up a camera in the house?

Granting that it's a year later and he probably isn't grieving any longer (which could have been the cause of the hiding and lack of grooming), there's no denying this cat is getting to the age where closer, more continual daily observation would be appropriate.
You brought something up in a few posts ago that got me remembering what I have done for Feeby in the past while I was gone. Even though the neighbor was coming in twice a day to take care of her, I also put my TV on a timer in the living room where she hangs out a lot. Not that she watches TV, but most nights we do, so I thought that would at least give her some semblance of familiarity/routine.

And, in the other half of the house, I put a timer on a boom-box and had music playing at varying times when the TV wasn't programmed to come on. I don't know if it helped Feeby, but it helped me...

But, you seem to be leaning toward the cattery - and, frankly, I do think that is the best option in your case.
c
You brought something up in a few posts ago that got me remembering what I have done for Feeby in the past while I was gone. Even though the neighbor was coming in twice a day to take care of her, I also put my TV on a timer in the living room where she hangs out a lot. Not that she watches TV, but most nights we do, so I thought that would at least give her some semblance of familiarity/routine.

And, in the other half of the house, I put a timer on a boom-box and had music playing at varying times when the TV wasn't programmed to come on. I don't know if it helped Feeby, but it helped me...

But, you seem to be leaning toward the cattery - and, frankly, I do think that is the best option in your case.
Thx- my parents have always used a few time switches on the house lights, and the music channel on the TV radio is permanently on. Will actually look into the timer on the radio and tv as well. Agree- good idea.
Know and then the wind sets the alarm of, neighbors cat are walking around house during the evenings, goes on garden furnuture etc. at night, The thought of Neels being all alone then- gets to me. Being at a cattery just makes so much more sense to me.