Short-term Certifications You Can Get For Jobs With Helping Cats/dogs?

CozyBreakfast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey, everybody! Is there any short-term courses for certifications that I could get to help dogs/cats? I don't want to go for a degree, now anyway, because I want to work on art, architecture, and nutrition in school before that. In the meantime I'd like a job that I'd enjoy, and I'd love helping and hanging out with animals! Any help would be appreciated.

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You don't necessarily need a specific certification to work with animals. I work at an animal shelter and I can't think of any of my coworkers who actually has anything like that. It's pretty much either vet tech or on the job experience at our place.

My job title is Community Engagement Coordinator, and my role is to coordinate our volunteer and humane education programming. I came to that from a previous job in children's behavioral health programming, rather than directly from an animal-related angle. There are a lot of different paths that can lead to a shelter job.

The biggest suggestion I would have is to start as a volunteer. You get experience, and you get known. That's how I specifically got my job, actually - I had volunteered for years, and then when I made it known that I was looking for a different job opportunity, I was encouraged to submit my resume at the shelter.

Good luck! It's a fun adventure. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CozyBreakfast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I might volunteer once a week at this shelter near me soon that my mom volunteers at.

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You could also consider getting a job at Petco or Petsmart. Since they keep adoptable animals in the store, you would have an opportunity to care for them. A dog groomer is another possibility. They would probably train you on the job. You could also sign up on Care.com to become a pet sitter.