Short-faced Bottle-baby

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I have a strange question pointed towards those who have ever worked with Persians or other short-faced breeds. I have four foster kittens; three boys and a girl. The girl, Catalina, has Persian features. They were strays, but could possibly have some pure blood in them. She has a relatively short face and flat skull with very long, silky hair for her age. Over the past week and a half she has been finding it difficult to eat or drink, despite starving. She is loosing weight, crying, and getting weak. Now, I know this could be a sign of something else (she's seen a vet, been hydrated, got dewormed, ect), my question isn't pointed towards what her health problem is, it is whether or not short-faced cats have trouble nursing on a bottle or eating wet food as kittens.
Catalina tries to nurse, but she gets uncomfortable and spits out the nipple, or chews on it, and finally gives up, crying hungrily but unable to continue. While eating she needs the food propped up and spooned into a angular pile so she can bite it properly or else she gives up and cries. Is it just her or is there something more I can do?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I cant much specifically for short muzzled, but I can some about weak kittens having difficulties to eat. I will call on posiepurrs posiepurrs whom is very experienced on short faced persians. Others are too welcome to answer!

OK, till we get some sure tips, you must treat her alike every one weakish kitten in difficulties. Ie, handfeed her. Some good kmr (stage I, not stage II) or goats milk. You can add an egg yolk into this fluid.
I suppose she is about 5-6 weeks? If so, you can mix up kitten food into a slurry and give her that.

You can also add some glucose sugar ( it will often be honey or white caro syrup) - it gives quick energy. You can even smear some honey water on her lips and gum before you feed her.

You will probably find a needleless syringe as easier than bottle! Many whom has difficulties with bottle, manage syringe - its not necessary to be a good suckler, its enough to be a good swallower.

Amounts? For kmr / goats milk its 8ml / 30g a day. So a kitten of 600 grammes needs about 160 ml a day! Slightly less with egg yolk in it, or a kitten food mix.

Be sure the kitten is warm enough - or if its very hot at your place - somewhat chilled... You can massage the kitten with a little towel... If you come on more ideas to help a weak one - do it.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We estimate her birthday to be May 10, making her around 5 weeks old. She has two shorthaired siblings and one other longhair, but it's head isn't quite the shape of hers. She isn't like severely short-faced, but her muzzle and skull are more flattened than her siblings.

She had fluids again today and seems to enjoy wet food without milk added. I'm trying the syringe and the bottle as well as hand-feeding and dish feeding and a dish of water, so I'm covering all my basis. She was dewormed for the second time yesterday and is very strong and feisty (trust me, she did not enjoy her injections of water at the vets, she SQUIRMED). She does, however, not play as much as her siblings and her little bones stick out. It's hard to see under all that fur!

IMG_5020.jpg
IMG_5021.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is adorable! She should not have any trouble eating because of her face shape.

It sounds like, at 5 weeks old, she is simply not quite ready to wean, which is not at all unusual for her age.

She will begin eating better at 6-7 weeks.

Hang in there with her! :)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

The problem is she won't drink milk easily either. She wouldn't drink milk, water, or eat food. However, she is starting to get better, eating a TON and already seeming to gain some weight. The fluids must have gave her good energy.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry - just saw this. Glad she is eating now. At 5 weeks my kittens have started to nibble at moms food. Some are more reluctant than others, but i keep enticing them.