Shocking what is in pet food

northwest

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi folks,
I have no association with this site but I just thought this article was interesting. Commercial pet food is really bad for our cats.

Pet Food: The Inside Scoop

http://tinyurl.com/29duokq

They also make a powdered cat supplement that seems pretty good. What do you all think?

http://tinyurl.com/2e9nk9f

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting. But this is why we must read the labels. Many of the store and cheaper brands are not good, but there are higher quality foods out there like Wellness, Blue Buffalo, Natural Balance who are using MEAT - not by-products or meal for the main ingredients.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't read the article yet (it will take a while to load) but there was a show on CBC Doc Zone about pet food. The woman featured was the head of small animal nutrition at the University of Saskachewan Western College of Veterinary Medicine. She showed how to make a nutritionally complete dog food from old boots, motor oil and a few other things - it tested perfectly but was completely inedible. She saw nothing wrong with using things such as assorted innards, etc but drew the line at diseased organs as innards are the first eaten by carnivores. She disagreed with the large amounts of grains used and said use should be limited to enough grains to thicken and allow for ease of handling and no more - should not be the base of the food whether kibble or tinned. Ig's been a while since I saw it but was an interesting piece.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

northwest

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats are strict carnivores and don't eat grains or fruit. Their digestive tract is short and made to extract nutrients from raw food quickly. Cooked proteins tend to slow down digestion. I would probably supplement with taurine for obvious reasons and cranberry extract to help with their urinary tract. Maybe get some wheat grass for him to nibble on.

I'm going to be feeding my cat a raw food diet, that is biologically the best food for them. I think allot of the diseases cats get could be eliminated if people stopped feeding their cats the commercial junk cat foods.

A mouse is the perfect food for a cat and has everything they need to be healthy.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, many aeons ago the mouse was the perfect food, though many will differ on this as to the origins of our modern cats as mice likely were Not readily avail... Today however cats are domestic animals and thus their diets and needs have changed .... Typically if you watch a feral or semi feral cat they will eat Bugs, rabbit( if avail) , mice, but mainly Birds..

Many can also tell you about the dangers of raw as NO food today is perfect. The current food recall is on a Raw food...

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Northwest

Cats are strict carnivores and don't eat grains or fruit. Their digestive tract is short and made to extract nutrients from raw food quickly. Cooked proteins tend to slow down digestion. I would probably supplement with taurine for obvious reasons and cranberry extract to help with their urinary tract. Maybe get some wheat grass for him to nibble on.

I'm going to be feeding my cat a raw food diet, that is biologically the best food for them. I think allot of the diseases cats get could be eliminated if people stopped feeding their cats the commercial junk cat foods.

A mouse is the perfect food for a cat and has everything they need to be healthy.
I feed a raw diet to 18 barn cats ranging in age from 2-15. It is the perfect food for all of them and I have had no problems in the 11 months they have gotten all raw. They didn't start going on to raw that way: Panther had horrible dandruff, a lot of them had breath that could (almost) kill you, and others were just constantly snuffly or had runny eyes. Not so anymore!

Everyone else is getting all canned and I wish I could get them to eat raw as I know that they would do much better. None of my cats will be allowed to eat dry food again...that stuff is horrible!

There is more than just one recall going on right now...a huge recall of Nutritional Supplements as well as Merrick Dog Treats (again!). In the last 30 or so days there have been the Iams recall and Natural Balance Dog Food recall. All but the Iams I believe were due to salmonella...it is not just raw food

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by furryfriends50

There is more than just one recall going on right now...a huge recall of Nutritional Supplements as well as Merrick Dog Treats (again!). In the last 30 or so days there have been the Iams recall and Natural Balance Dog Food recall. All but the Iams I believe were due to salmonella...it is not just raw food
I don't get what is wrong with all of these companies. Why can't they do positive release? Rent or buy extra warehouse space and keep the product there until it's tested clean. It's a simple concept. It makes one worry how much human food this is not done with..

To the OP, before you make any dramatic changes in your cats diets (or even your own) do a lot of research. Don't just go by a few persuasive sites that make it sound great and simple - discuss it with your vet. If your vet won't hear the subject, then look around for one who's willing to discuss and work with you.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I don't get what is wrong with all of these companies. Why can't they do positive release? Rent or buy extra warehouse space and keep the product there until it's tested clean. It's a simple concept. It makes one worry how much human food this is not done with..

To the OP, before you make any dramatic changes in your cats diets (or even your own) do a lot of research. Don't just go by a few persuasive sites that make it sound great and simple - discuss it with your vet. If your vet won't hear the subject, then look around for one who's willing to discuss and work with you.
Extremely well put

If you are one afraid to talk to your vet I would ask why?

Not surprising to me but the links contain Extremely dated info...

python

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Interestingly, here in the UK not all the ingredients are listed on pet food. It doesn't have to be by law, unlike human food which must list every ingredient including additives.

I think ALL ingredients should be listed without exception.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Python

Interestingly, here in the UK not all the ingredients are listed on pet food. It doesn't have to be by law, unlike human food which must list every ingredient including additives.

I think ALL ingredients should be listed without exception.
and where they are sourced from would help... I know some raw premades that are made of lesser quality than some grocery foods

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder what percentage of the higher instances of commercially-produced pet food recalls is a result of greater public awareness and increased scrutiny of the industry?

Whatever that number is, I'm glad to see it happening. It's horrible enough that thousands of cats and dogs died in the 2007 pet food poisoning, but to have them die and then to see no change in either pet owners' feeding habits or the pet food industry's practices would be doubly sickening.

I know that the recalls are alarming, but as the industry begins to respond to the pressure to improve, companies are increasing the transparency of their food processes, which translates into more information for pet owners.

Even more importantly, as recalls are communicated to an ever broader range of people, once-trusting pet owners often start educating themselves on pet nutrition and researching commercial pet food processes - and then start feeding their pets healthier diets. This is nothing but good news for pets.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

I wonder what percentage of the higher instances of commercially-produced pet food recalls is a result of greater public awareness and increased scrutiny of the industry?

I know that the recalls are alarming, but as the industry begins to respond to the pressure to improve, companies are increasing the transparency of their food processes, which translates into more information for pet owners.

Even more importantly, as recalls are communicated to an ever broader range of people, once-trusting pet owners often start educating themselves on pet nutrition and researching commercial pet food processes - and then start feeding their pets healthier diets. This is nothing but good news for pets.
Well written ... Unfortunately, I can tell from my business that many pet parents are Not hearing or seeing or caring as I see what the animals are eating... I love more transparency for human and animal food .....

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

and where they are sourced from would help... I know some raw premades that are made of lesser quality than some grocery foods
And kibble and canned foods are made from far lower quality products yet. *shakes head sadly*

Every now and again, I get tired of cutting up fresh meat for six cats, but then I look at the health costs of NOT feeding fresh foods, not to mention the outrageous prices on commercially-produced products, and I go sharpen my favorite cutting knife.

A little extra time is a small price to pay for furry family members who give me so much and depend on me for everything.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Well written ... Unfortunately, I can tell from my business that many pet parents are Not hearing or seeing or caring as I see what the animals are eating... I love more transparency for human and animal food .....
You sound despondent here, Sharky. I don't think I've ever seen you down before. PM me, if you like. <<<hugs>>>

brookesphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

And kibble and canned foods are made from far lower quality products yet. *shakes head sadly*

Every now and again, I get tired of cutting up fresh meat for six cats, but then I look at the health costs of NOT feeding fresh foods, not to mention the outrageous prices on commercially-produced products, and I go sharpen my favorite cutting knife.

A little extra time is a small price to pay for furry family members who give me so much and depend on me for everything.
I also get tired of cutting up fresh meat for 6 cats (it was so much easier to crack open a can, wasn't it?) but then I come across another article about a recall...or garbage in pet food...and am reminded of one of the reasons I started doing it in the first place.

Even some of the premade raw and high-end commercial foods I trusted are having recalls... Does this mean the FDA is cracking down or do you think the pet food companies are becoming complacent?

...or does it just seem like there are more recalls than ever because I'm paying closer attention?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by BrookeSphynx

I also get tired of cutting up fresh meat for 6 cats (it was so much easier to crack open a can, wasn't it?) but then I come across another article about a recall...or garbage in pet food...and am reminded of one of the reasons I started doing it in the first place.

Even some of the premade raw and high-end commercial foods I trusted are having recalls... Does this mean the FDA is cracking down or do you think the pet food companies are becoming complacent?

...or does it just seem like there are more recalls than ever because I'm paying closer attention?
I am not Auntie but I say complacent cause every "formula" change seems to be going down in quality rather than up

there are more recalls on everything... lol.. off topic but a friend of mine with small kids did not know about the like 6 different Tylenol ones

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Seriously. I go through this cycle about once a quarter. LOL!

Personally, I think it's all of the above. More of us are aware of and sensitive to pet food issues and we're quick to spread the word even among ourselves (go TCS!), so even recalls from companies like Merrick, who ever-so-quietly dropped their latest recall notice on a Friday night before a major three-day holiday, get noticed and reposted.

Then there are those companies that care, like Nature's Variety (who made their last recall notice the entire front page of their website, along with a letter of explanation and correction from the president himself), that are taking all necessary steps to both find and communicate problems.

Finally, although I believe the FDA is lame, lame, lame, they are making some small changes in response to ringing outcries from the public.

Put 'em all together - more recalls and more of the recalls actually read. :-)

python

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Years ago cats (and dogs) were fed from scraps from the butcher or fishmonger. Dogs especially had a good, raw bone to chew on. I give my dogs (2 German Shepherds) a bone to chew on approximately once a week. This keeps their teeth clean and the dogs love them. We get them from our local butcher and they are usually large, meaty knuckle bones with marrow on the inside. Keeps the boys occupied for hours.

Yet, you hear certain people shouting "Don't give your dog bones" and go on about them splintering etc., but the bones they are referring to are the cooked bones which can and will splinter. Raw bones are soft and the dog's insides digest them without problem.

Both my dogs have good teeth and no sign of tartar. Of course, the manufacturers try and scare people into not giving their dogs proper raw bones and buy their very expensive chews instead.

It's the same for cats. Years ago, people fed their cats scraps from the butcher and fishmonger - I used to be sent by an elderly lady in our street to get scraps for her cat - usually given away free by the butcher and fishmonger.

Said cat lived to an old age - and she had all her teeth which were in good condition, not like elderly cats now who have lost most of their teeth by the time they are about 14 years old. Of course, Towser the cat (Towser is a popular Scottish name for a cat) caught and ate mice and rats, and if Towser was a country cat, rabbits and small mammals too.

Another thing, regarding dogs rather than cats, years ago, how often did you hear of a dog savaging someone? Not very often. The postman sometimes got a nip and that was really about it. Now, every other day you pick up the papers and read about someone being savaged and even killed by dogs.

Why?

I think the answer is threefold.

First, dogs, when I was young wandered out on their own. The dog was let out in the morning and he came back when he felt like it. There was dog poo on the pavements (sidewalks) but you watched where you put your feet! Of course, there was less traffic some 30/40 years ago so there was less likelihood of the dog having a road accident. Now dogs are left at home for long periods, in some areas in the UK they cannot be let off lead and one area is now fining people for using a leash longer than 3ft in length. And they wonder why many dogs are turning vicious

Second, there were more mongrels than pedigree dogs, or what we call mongrels here - a Heinz 57 (after all the varieties).

Thirdly, dogs and cats were fed on butcher's meat, usually raw and table scraps.

My brother's friend had a Heinz 57 called Butch. Great dog. He looked a bit like a Border Collie but had a very rough, wiry coat, was a light brown and white and had a pink nose. He went everywhere offlead with my brother and his friend. Butch was 17 when he died - a good age for a dog even by today's standards.

I think modern living is having a detrimental effect on our furry friends, both cats and dogs.

People put their trust in pet food manufacturers yet we are paying a lot of money for what is basically cr*p. Even the so-called "better" food is probably rubbish. All have chemical additives in them.

Mention feeding raw to your vet and be prepared for a tirade about how dangerous it is etc. etc., yet the natural diet of a cat or dog is...wait for it...raw food! Of course, vets - and the pharmaceuticals make an obscene profit on selling products designed to keep your pet's teeth clean, whether it is from "dental" chews or toothpaste and toothbrushes designed for cats and dogs. Nice little earner for vets, the pharmaceuticals and the pet food industry.

Interestingly, and perhaps some of you might have noticed this also. I've always fed my cats tinned food and the odd table scraps but it's only in the past 10 years that I have noticed cat's teeth are rotting at the gumline, even when the cat is still quite young. It didn't happen prior to that - and I've had cats now for over 30 years. Have any of you noticed this too? If so, it makes me wonder if there is something in cat food (and probably dog food too) that is rotting their teeth early. If whatever substance is in cat food is doing this, then what is it doing to their insides?

It is a huge money making business that cares not a jot about the wellbeing of your cat or dog but cares only about one thing - making PROFIT.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Python

Years ago cats (and dogs) were fed from scraps from the butcher or fishmonger.
Years ago many communities actually had a local butcher and could get more locally raised meats. In the US this just isn't the case anymore in most areas, you get supermarket meats. It's the same meat that parts of it are going towards animal foods (except their bits don't get the extras that ours get to make it look "pretty" in stores). Overall the meat, even whats ending up on our plates, isn't that great anymore.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Python

I also have had animals for over 30 yrs ... lol ... they did not get dental s nor premium foods and all lived well past ave ( they ate my variety diet as RXed by Grandma
)... but also genetics plays a Huge role in dental care.... so far my "variety " plan clan are doing well

You need to come my way... even the conventional vets have a basic understanding of raw and homemade food... several use it and recommend it...

As for meats I am very lucky NO big name stores outside walmart( I do not buy meat there) ... I have meats raised within hours of me and the store can and does tell you the farms names so you can research... I also have a local butcher who deals with wild game and the local hunters... there are many a Not pretty parts in the case s due to folks asking