Shocked By Goat Allergy

xeenthequeen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have come to the conclusion that Xena is allergic (and/or intolerant?) to goat. I am in disbelief but there is no other logical explanation.

I started giving her raw goat (alternating with duck) about 2 months ago, which she's had only once before several years ago without issue. This time it was hard to convince her to eat the goat, and I had to resort to various toppers. A couple weeks in her face started getting itchy around her ears and neck, despite a monthly flea treatment. Then she started vomiting with increasing frequency. Ironically I began adding an (expensive!) goats milk probiotic to her food thinking it would help. The vomiting became projectile and she couldn't hold down anything at all!

Yesterday I fed her only plain chicken and she didn't throw up all day. Today I gave her the goats milk probiotic over turkey and she INSTANTLY puked it up. Finally a light went off in my head and I offered the same without probiotic and she was fine!

I just can't believe it - how could she develop an allergy so fast? I always thought of allergies as a problem for coddled, kibble-fed pets, not my previously stray, almost lifetime raw-fed girl. Anyways, just wanted to rant and maybe offer a cautionary tale for anyone else who wouldn't suspect allergies!

Last edited:

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Are you sure she isn't allergic to the flea and tick preventative? i have read that can happen because they are pesticides. One of my cats used to itch like crazy after I used them, now I just use a flea comb and diatomaceous earth on their bedding and around the perimeter of rooms and in the carpet before I vacuum.One of my cats vomits goat. Last month I threw out 5 lbs of it from HT> Hate to waste it but I had no one to give it to.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xeenthequeen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, my other theory was that the itchiness was caused by the Revolution and dry winter skin, she has a mild intolerance to goat (the original occasional vomiting) and is lactose intolerance (the extreme projectile vomiting of the probiotic), but Occam's razor has me leaning to the simple explanation that goat is to blame for all of it. Luckily I can gift both the goat meat and probiotic to my sister's dog.