She's Mad At Me For Not Giving Her Dry Food.

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
If I stopped giving my cats kibble, they would quickly become friends long enough to plan my untimely demise...
I'm very lucky they're all very good about not endlessly eating the kibble. They're responsible snackers, so I just let it stay out.
I make sure the kibble I give them is less garbage-y, and I give them the best quality wet foods I can, figuring somehow the really healthy wet somehow makes up for the fact they eat kibble at all. I'm not a scientist, this is just what feels right to me :)
YMMV, but this works for us.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your advice and support.
Well, I gave in and gave her some kibble (instinct by nature variety, someone suggested that one to me a little while ago and it seems pretty good 81% of animal protein, no grain) I got Skye to eat a 3 oz can of wet food and gave her some kibble, now she's back meawing at me to set beside her while she eats and she's playing a lot .
Unfortunately Dr. Elsey is not available in Canada( at least where we live) I will keep TRYING my hardest to keep most of her diet wet food even if it means to give her some kibble to keep her happy. I don't think she was too happy that she Wasn't getting her kibbles. I rather her eating both foods, being healthy and happy too.
Thank you all again for easing things on me and helping my day go smoother. I really appreciate it!
:vibes::rock:
This is already a very good start, particularly since you're feeding Skye the Instinct dry food. Since she's eating wet food -- and a whole can, that's great! -- keep feeding it to her. And don't panic if she slows down on it, just keep trying. (Some people freeze opened wet food so there's an option for leftovers!)

@duckpond is right about the stress -- they've gone through the dry/wet battle for along time! -- so don't worry too much if things don't always go your way. I type that and am reminding myself to heed my own advice the next time Ireland doesn't feel like eating whatever she's fed. It's hard to do, particularly because it can be so easy to forget how fickle cats can get!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She is a beautiful cat!

I feed my guys two wet meals a day, and dry is out most of the time. 3 of mine are good with mostly wet, and supplement with dry.

My little white girl is a different story. For 2 or 3 years she would not touch wet, no matter how hard i tried. And i tried hard. Our vet finally said, you are going to make her sick, the stress over the food on her is not good. And not eating enough is not good. Feed her the best dry you can, that she enjoys. Be it Purina, Merrick, Instinct, which is a good dry, or any other brand. You want to reduce the food related stress, and make sure she is getting enough nutrition. So thats what i did. I tried several different brands of dry, we ended up with Dr. Elseys chicken as the fav. However they do like Merrick, some of the Purina pro plan dry foods, and a few others. Buy small bags of dry that you like the ingredients of, and let her decide which one she likes.

I kept offering my girl wet, once or twice a day, and then low and behold, one day she ate it. :) She will only eat Almo nature salmon and apple for wet, but she does like it, and most days she will eat a whole can for breakfast, then munch her dry the rest of the day. For dry she will only eat dr. elseys chicken. I do worry that if i cant get these two foods it will be very hard on her. So i keep stocked up, and pray they dont discontinue or change them!

What my vet, and i agree on is that wet is very good for a cat, but not all cats will eat wet, no matter how much we want them to. :dunno: If they fixate on dry, feed them dry, and keep offering the wet. Stress over food, or anything really, or just not eating well, can be more harmful than eating dry.
You are 100% right. I hear great things about Dr. Elsey but it's not available in Canada ( hopefully one day will be) she will eat any type brand of dry, but someone in this awesome group suggested Instinct by nature variety and the ingredients look better than the Purina, I think! At least they are better than the Purina veterinarian diet Essential kitten care that I used to buy from the vet office and it's a better value ( Purina $50 for a 3.6 klg or Instinct $49 for a 11 lb bag) right now I just got Skye a small bag to try... eventually I will get her the big bag. This morning she ate some wet food and she didn't fuss about it, she actually came to me and waited while I was serving it for her :bliss: she just ate about a teaspoon of it but better than nothing and had some kibbles, I'll give her some more for lunch and see how it goes.
I really don't want her to stress out and get sick over food, what I've learned from you and others in the group is that cats change their mind too :dunno: I am taking everyone's advice and try my best to follow them.
Just want to tell you THANK YOU so very much to you and others for helping me out with this.
:thanks:

RCM mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A trick we did with our Zira who loved her crunchies was to crush up some crunchies and sprinkle over/mix into a little wet food. It took a while but she finally accepted wet food. Good luck as I know what that poor pitiful "I'm starving" meow sounds like, heartbreaking.....

Name9335

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you still have the kibble in the house, she is going to smell it and crave it. Its addicting. Get it out of the house and she won't be as tempted