She's a terror at night after lights out (and cat life update)

aegisrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Cat Site!!  been a while since I visited!   So much has happened in the last year.   My old boy Gwen crossed the bridge back in November...  for the last year of his life he took up residence with my parents in Florida (convoluted story as to why he was there, but Gwen loved them and they adored him back) and it was a very sad event, but he was an old boy who lived a long, wonderful, spoiled-rotten life, and that is the best anyone can hope for for their furry kids. I'm happy he had such a fantastic life and smile at his memory.

Back in Texas, we moved to Austin, my husband started volunteering at the Austin Pets Alive kitten ward, and we ended up fostering 5 kittens, successfully placing 4 into new homes. The 5th one stayed and is our newest addition "Dende".

she's a total ham. Such a sweetie.  

Soooo... onto the the issue... Delirium: Our older female (4 years).  She's simply a menace after lights out....    Once we turn off the lights, she starts meowing really loud, pawing things, knocking stuff off of the dresser or nightstands. Basically a ruckus.  This ONLY happens after lights out, AND if I'm in the bedroom.  If I happen to fall asleep on the couch, she might fuss a bit, but she quickly curls up on / near me and sleeps.  I don't get it.  We tried feeding her before bed to make sure she isn't hungry... no difference.  Tried getting her to play for 30 minutes before bedtime to tire her out: no difference.  Eventually just started removing her from the bedroom, closing the door. And that worked... until recently. She has started wailing at the door, and pawing at it / shaking it and generally making herself a nuisance.   What the heck?!??!?

Some of this behavior might be my fault, since at first I thought it was hunger, and would lay a few kibbles down for her.  But over the last couple of months I have stopped "rewarding" her fits and instead removing her from the bedroom... but no difference.  Instead of getting the hint, she has resorted to the banging of the door and meowing like murder is happening in the living room. I need my sleep!!!!! What can I do??  this is obviously attention seeking, but when I try to give her attention before bed, she snubs me 
   HELP!

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
I hate to say it, but she is likely doing this because for awhile it got her food and attention. Unfortunately that means it's going to take longer to teach her that food and attention no longer happens when you cause a ruckus at night. If you can, the best thing to do is ignore her. eventually she'll figure out that she's no longer getting the reaction she wants and will stop...but until then, you'll need to try your hardest not to react to her.

Is it possible for you to sleep with earplugs? My husband did that for the month it took us to teach our Freya that bodily flinging herself at the bedroom door would not result in us opening it.