Shelter Kitten Showing Signs Of Disease?

MavAndMax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 5 month old shelter kitten had this perfectly round spot on his ear that was shown to the vet and dismissed as a burn or birth mark. Now it is more prominent and the kitten has a balding patch on his back with skin on that area that looks like this spot.

Ringworm? Mange? Something I have not heard of? I have a vet apppointment for him but am worried about my other cay. He doesn't really scratch it unless I put antifungal on it. I have also been applying antiseptic. I've only been treating for three days, twice a day with both at different times.

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The pattern does look fungal. Is the patch on the back in the same, round shape? If so, almost certainly a fungus of some sort. It is fairly rare to see mange that perfectly round, and it generally causes such severe itching that the infected areas are bloody.

Until your appointment, I'd consider using a wash of chamomile tea on this. Yep, made from the tea bags you can get at the grocery store (that's the GERMAN kind, and the only one safe for cats). Brew a cup, chill it in the fridge, and just swab it on. It is antifungal, antibacterial, and anti inflammatory, as well. It will sooth any itchiness, as well.

How long has the new kitten been in your home?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MavAndMax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The pattern does look fungal. Is the patch on the back in the same, round shape? If so, almost certainly a fungus of some sort. It is fairly rare to see mange that perfectly round, and it generally causes such severe itching that the infected areas are bloody.

Until your appointment, I'd consider using a wash of chamomile tea on this. Yep, made from the tea bags you can get at the grocery store (that's the GERMAN kind, and the only one safe for cats). Brew a cup, chill it in the fridge, and just swab it on. It is antifungal, antibacterial, and anti inflammatory, as well. It will sooth any itchiness, as well.

How long has the new kitten been in your home?
Thank you for your reply. I figured it was fungus and I've been treating it as such, he doesn't really itch it but if he does I will try the tea!
We have had the kitten 3.5 weeks now. He

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He's a cutie. Let us know what the vet says. We tend to fret when we don't know how one of "our" cats is donig.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MavAndMax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Baby kitty has a fungal infection that did should very little florescence with the black light (vet's was better than mine). Vet thinks I've been treating it appropriately and that it's clearing up. As of today his hair is growing back in both places. :) And no signs of fungus on my big baby.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, that's very good news indeed! Enjoy that new baby, and don't let Big Baby's nose get too out of joint!