Shelter For Cats

Krissana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I live in Tokyo (Setagaya ) I need shelter for my cats (6 cats). Because soon 2or3 years I will move to Thai. How can I do for all best way for my cats? Need someone can take care them. Please PM me or post if you can help.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi Krissana,

Welcome to TCS.

Are they indoor or outdoor cats? Are they all spayed and neutered?

There are shelters that you can surrender the cats too that will place them in new homes. The ask for a re-homing fee, but this is cheaper if the cats are all fixed, blood tested and up-to-date on their vaccinations.

There is an article here with more details about helping cats in Japan.

Living In Japan? Here's How You Can Help Feral "nora Neko" Cats In Your Area

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Krissana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are outdoor .. 2cats were vaccinated and nurtured. 1 year old and 10 yearsold.
3 kittens (4 months years old ) and 1cat 1 year old.,cats Have not been treated because stray cat. Now I have a problem with the neighbors about feeding. I can not bring cat back to Thailand. Because i live in apartment

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
If they are outdoor cats and not really suitable as pets the best thing you can do is get them all spayed and neutered.

The way you can do this is TNR. Trap, Neuter, Release.

Here's an article that explain what that means.

Everything You Need To Know About Tnr (trap-neuter-release)

If any of them are tame enough to re-home, maybe the young kittens, please bring them indoors so that you can start socializing them and get them ready for new owners.

There are so many feral cats in Japan, it will be difficult to find homes for cats that aren't very tame. If you can get the younger ones used to being handled you might be able to place them in a shelter.

I've had complaints from neighbours about feeding feral cats before too. Can you go and talk to you neighbours? Explain that you are in the process of getting them all neutered and are looking for new homes for them. Some people don't like feral cats because they poop in their gardens, so offer to clean up any mess they make.

Maybe offer them some garden plants as a peace offering?

Most Japanese people appreciate a heartfelt apology and an offer to deal with any problems the cats cause. If they see you as a responsible care take, rather than just someone who leaves food out for cats, they won't complain so much.

Krissana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you know a website about finding a new home for kittens ? I will try bring kittens indoor during waiting new owners.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Another thing you could try is re-homing through the cat cafes. There are a lot of them in Setagaya. Kittens need to be blood tested, vaccinated and spayed or neutered first, but some cat cafes work with their own vets to get this done at a cheaper rate than you usually pay.

Try sending a message to all the cat cafes in your town and ask if they are accepting more kittens. Don't say they were born outside, say they were born in your house.

Are the kittens friendly? Can you pick them up and pet them?

Krissana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kittens no friendly .. I can not touch them

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It might be difficult to re-home them in that case. People like pets they can pick up and hug.

The absolute best thing you can do for these cats is to get them all spayed and neutered. That way you are only dealing with 6 cats. The four month old kittens will start mating with each other at 5 to 6 months old and then you will have lots more kittens to worry about.

Can you call the vets in your area and ask if they treat feral cats? (Chikineko or noraneko) Some of them will have humane traps you can borrow to catch the cats and get them to the vet.

You should also ask the your city hall Hokenjyo 保健所 if they know of any groups that are doing TNR. They're not always listed, but there are volunteer groups out there that might be able to help you.

Krissana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much ❤

Krissana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes I will ❤

Krissana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have good news 3kittens. We contacted ArkKansai. They were to take care of the kittens, My husband explained the reasons for bringing a kittens to shelter. Since my husband was diagnosed with cancer stage4, he agreed to donate. They also request us to have injection of HIV before cats move to Ark to protect other cats in there and we will pay for them60,000Yen..But Arktokyo not accept my kittens..

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, that's great! So 3 of the kittens will go the Ark Shelter in Osaka? I'm sure they will take very good care of them.

I surrendered kittens to Tokyo Ark a few years. They had already been blood tested and vaccinated, but I had to pay 30,000 per kitten, so 60,000 for your kittens isn't so bad.

Are the three older cats all spayed and neutered?

I'm very sorry to hear about your husband. That's very sad news.

Krissana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are not say for neutered.. but I suppose why Arktokyo not accept 3kittens because I not say about donation and condition my husband first..

Krissana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes already .. but I have tomcat not yet.. I will trap soon..

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
You're doing a great job. Thank you for taking such good care of these cats.

Are the older cats very wild? Do you think any of them are suitable for re-homing?