Shelter cat is broken and super depressed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

VAMama

Cosette's maid
Adult Cat
Purraise
We'd have to force her back into the bedroom and lock her in there. She doesn't want to be in that room anymore. That would be yet another change and "new normal" she wouldn't understand. Her pee on the floor came after we cleaned and restocked her litter box. She always gets angry when we mess with her litter. Any little change, something as small as refreshing her litter box, puts her in a tizzy. She wants to be in total darkness where she feels untouchable. Putting her back in the room would take away her fortress.

I can try it but I suspect I'll get another month of pouting.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
When you do a full clean out and change of litter in the box, try keeping a bit of her old litter and add it to the new. It will still have her "scent" and she may take to the cleaned box, much better.

Kind of the same reason why, my guys and other kitties, immediately jump into the clean litter box, to pee. It is to renew their 'scent" and make it 'theirs".

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

VAMama

Cosette's maid
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone. Sorry for my angry tone in the last update. Didn't mean to scare anyone.

Cosette has a weak bladder, possibly from her spay done in a hurry. When she was in her room she always had the box a few feet away. Now she has to make special trips to the potty, and she doesn't always make it. We got puppy pads to go under the box.

She still gets upset from the slightest change, and she'll hide for a day, but slowly she's relaxing. This morning she did a bit of play fight with an object in the living room. She still won't let me touch her, but she walks around freely when I'm gone.

Got an estimate from the vet for her dental surgery. Hope to do that in May.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, the poor girl.. weak bladder... man... how could that be from surgery? Just thinking out loud..
Glad she is slowly relaxing..
Just thinking, again: could you put another small litter box in the living room, near the sofa? To make things a bit easier for her?

Cosette is still learning to trust. It will take a long time. With Geoffrey it took months, and months...

Glad she is learning to play.. at her own pace.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Cosette purred for me tonight! I reached under the couch to pet her. She has become more vocal. And she's finally starting to clean herself a little.
d780d7e34800d94df1d6bfc41d331465.jpg

Continue what you've been doing. I think she is more settled down under the couch as she can see what's going on in the house which I guess she's been studying the situation and gaining more confidence.