Shelf Stable Milk

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone here tried it? I don't mean powdered milk either.

This milk can be stored in your cupboard until opened. I had some today. It had been refridgerated first to get cold but it was absolutely delicious! I was afraid to taste it at first, but I am glad I did!

http://bordenshelfstablemilk.com/borden/borden.htm

From the website:

Borden Shelf Stable milk is fresher than ordinary refrigerated milk.

Bacteria causes ordinary milk to start spoiling from the moment it is packaged. During the entire supply chain..

- from the dairy -
- to the local store -
- to your home -

refrigerated milk is in the process of spoiling. By the time you open the container bacteria has already started spoiling the milk and its freshness.

Shelf Stable Milk needs to be refrigerated after the container is opened. No bacteria is introduced until after the package is opened.

It's as close as you can come to opening the package directly off the production line at the dairy.
And it is naturally produced from cows that are not treated with artificial hormones like rBST.

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've seen it in the grocery store but it was expensive.

That and the thought of warm milk in a box turned me off. I got the impression that it would taste really bad.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's nothing really new - has been around for years. Comes in a tetra pack and keeps for several months. It is expensive and tastes funky. Can't remember who produced it first but was not Borden, as it was developed for shipment to northern communities

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Parmalat which is also shelf milk, it lasts quite a long time. Once you open it and put in the fridge, it lasts for up to 7 or 8 days. It's very good too. I never run out of milk since I always keep two or three cartons of Parmalat in the pantry. It comes in whole milk, 1% and 2%.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CheshireCat

I've seen it in the grocery store but it was expensive.

That and the thought of warm milk in a box turned me off. I got the impression that it would taste really bad.
I don't know how expensive it is since they don't sell it here. I got it in an Angelfood Basket I bought. It was very good! I thought it wouldn't taste good either but when it is cold, is tastes like fresh milk.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LaRussa

I use Parmalat which is also shelf milk, it lasts quite a long time. Once you open it and put in the fridge, it lasts for up to 7 or 8 days. It's very good too. I never run out of milk since I always keep two or three cartons of Parmalat in the pantry. It comes in whole milk, 1% and 2%.
The one I got was 2% milk.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Yup, we use parmalat too. We don't use much milk, so it's much cheaper for us to pay for the shelf stable milk, because anything in a carton goes bad, and the little boxes are perfect. Tastes like regular milk because it is regular milk. The processing they do doesn't affect the taste (that I can tell) - at least in Parmalat.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never tried it. I don't think it's even available here. However, I'm lactose intolerant and need to buy lactaid milk, so I doubt I would try it anyway.

I buy skim milk and always have 2 - 2 litre containers in the fridge. I freeze several 2 litre containers for future use. Once I thaw it out, the freshness date, regardless of what is shown on the carton starts from the time it's thawed out. In it's frozen state, it will keep for many, many months, if not a couple of years.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Never tried it. I don't think it's even available here. However, I'm lactose intolerant and need to buy lactaid milk, so I doubt I would try it anyway.
Yep it's available in Super Store (and other Westfair subsidiaries) and Sobeys. The store here used to carry it when it was affiliated with IGA. Sold under the brand name Tetra Pak.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For some reason that makes me think of the KMR liquid formula and cat milk that comes in boxes.

I haven't seen it around here. I'll have to look around the next time I'm in the city. Having a box or two of milk stashed back would be good, especially for when I find that someone has finished off all but a tiny amount of milk in the jug and I need milk at 5am to cook with. I don't like condensed milk for breads or oatmeal, btw.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's called UHT milk (Ultra High Temperature processing) or long life milk here, it's cheaper than fresh up to 1/2 price when on special, regular milk never goes on sale. I buy lactose free or goats for the cats when it's on special and keep it in the cupboard.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My brother in law had a couple angel baskets donated to him and had more food than they could eat so they gave us one, so we have one sitting in our cupboard. We haven't tried it, though. I think it is the Borden brand also. Next time we're out of milk I'll have to throw it in the fridge before it goes bad. I don't drink milk at all, so it's up to DS to try it out.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sk_pacer

It's nothing really new - has been around for years. Comes in a tetra pack and keeps for several months. It is expensive and tastes funky. Can't remember who produced it first but was not Borden, as it was developed for shipment to northern communities
It doesn't taste funky, at least Parmalat doesn't.

I love Parmalat, It tastes like regular milk, as posted before, because it is regular milk. What I like about it is that I can leave it on my pantry for a long long time, and just drink it when I want it, so I never spoil milk... I also love to always have milk in my pantry - I buy 6-8 at time and just replace as I run out of it. So even if it is a bit more expensive (which I don't think it is), I save $$$ by not spoiling. When I buy regular milk I always end up spoiling, because I don't necessarily want to drink milk within the week after I buy it, so I end up throwing out most of it on the garbage... not the case with Parmalat... My favorite is the 2%, the same as the regular fridge milk.
I do my groceries at Walmart, and it is available where you find powdered milk.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to buy Parmalat in the small containers when I was in a college dorm room. I didn't have a refrigerator. So, I'd pop one and drink it. It does have a slightly 'cooked' flavor for lack of a better term. It is much better than powdered milk which I had way too much of as a kid.

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I drink it all the time - Even after you've opened it and put it in the fridge, it lasts much longer than fresh milk. I've used it up to two weeks after being opened with no problems. You're lucky if fresh milk will last 3 days.

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A lot of the milk in Europe is sold warm. I've been told that not a lot is sold in the US because we tend to be squeamish about buying warm milk. I buy an organic milk that's UHT pasteurized. It's sold cold, but the expiration date is typically 2-3 months from when I buy it and I'm able to keep it open for at least 2-3 weeks. For me, it's worth paying the extra because with regular milk I would be throwing out some with every carton after it expired.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jane_vernon

I drink it all the time - Even after you've opened it and put it in the fridge, it lasts much longer than fresh milk. I've used it up to two weeks after being opened with no problems. You're lucky if fresh milk will last 3 days.
That is good to know. Just a couple of months ago, I bought some regular milk and put in fridge right away. 2 days later, well before the expiration date, I took a swig from the container and immediately had to spit it out as it had already spoiled. This was at least 5 days before the expire date!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't drink a lot of milk (if I think about what it really is and where it came from, I gag....LOL), but when I buy milk, I buy Parmalat. I think it tastes better than regular milk. I actually think organic milk tastes way better than any other kind, but it's expensive and I don't use it up fast enough to justify the expense. I also buy canned milk (Carnation or PET). Sometimes powdered milk.....the Mexican kind, I forget the name. But it's whole milk, not skim. Powdered skim milk just tastes blah.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catkiki

That is good to know. Just a couple of months ago, I bought some regular milk and put in fridge right away. 2 days later, well before the expiration date, I took a swig from the container and immediately had to spit it out as it had already spoiled. This was at least 5 days before the expire date!
That's odd. Maybe it has to do with how far the milk is shipped and how it is stored at the grocery store? Are you sure your fridge is keeping things cold enough - do you have a separate thermometer in it to check? Try different brands?

Fresh milk here usually last 5-6 days (if it's not all drank first) - most of this milk comes from farms in state. Lactose free milk will last a little longer due to how it's processed.