Sheer panic when riding in truck

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tom use to not mind riding in my truck, he would lay down in his carrier and just watch me. But over the last couple of trips to the vets he goes into what I would call sheer panic, heavy breathing through his mouth and constant meowing. It took him almost a 1/2 hour to calm down when we got back home. I even tried covering his carrier with a towel as the vet had said but it didn't make a difference. Also tried giving him treats. I'm not sure what has happened or how to help him but something needs to done! He's going to have a heart attack or give me one...

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Could it be that he has figured out a ride in the truck means a visit to the vet? You could try giving him a bit of catnip a short while before you put him in the carrier and then cover it before taking him to the vehicle. But even if he howls and puts up a fuss it is still typical cat behavior and not likely to give him a heart attack or cause him lasting issues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Could it be that he has figured out a ride in the truck means a visit to the vet? You could try giving him a bit of catnip a short while before you put him in the carrier and then cover it before taking him to the vehicle. But even if he howls and puts up a fuss it is still typical cat behavior and not likely to give him a heart attack or cause him lasting issues.
Sadly catnip doesn’t do anything for both of my cats...
Good to know that he won’t end up with a heart attack because it sure seems like it, but I still might haha

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Talk to your vet about giving Gabapentin the night before and then again the day of the next visit. It should help him to relax

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Aside from the gabapentin recommendation, check to see if something is going on with your truck. Unusual vibration/noise that you probably wouldn't notice as quickly as a cat can. It amazes me what cats can pick up on so much faster than we humans!!

Do you play music, run the A/C on low, keep the windows closed? Perhaps, also talk to him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aside from the gabapentin recommendation, check to see if something is going on with your truck. Unusual vibration/noise that you probably wouldn't notice as quickly as a cat can. It amazes me what cats can pick up on so much faster than we humans!!

Do you play music, run the A/C on low, keep the windows closed? Perhaps, also talk to him?
Haha my old tin can makes lots of noise, and sadly there isn’t anything I can do about that, no ac so I had to leave the windows part way open. Wasn’t going to cook them. I took a fan to have on them while we waited for the vet in the parking lot. It was under 80F so I didn’t take the ice packs in the carrier. Talking doesn’t do anything.