Sheba Alternatives

permanentruby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been feeding my cat mostly Sheba, but she seems to have gotten sick of it and doesn't touch it most days anymore. What are some good alternatives in a similar (or a little more) price range that are relatively good for her?

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you still been able to find the cans or have you been feeding the plastic "perfect portion" trays?
I was feeding Sheba before they discontinued the cans. The perfect portions are pretty expensive per oz.
Fancy feast is similar and a lot cheaper. Even some of the good brands on Chewy.com are cheaper now than Sheba!
ProPlan True Nature is around the same price per oz, Merrick Purrfect Bistro, Dave's, Natural Balance and Wellness Complete.

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also, it is common for cats to get sick of a food if they are fed it every day. Most people here recommend rotating wet foods for this reason. It's also good to have a variety of brands your cat will eat in case of recalls. If your cat ONLY eats Sheba and then it is recalled and you can't find it anymore, you want to have a back up that your cat will accept.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

permanentruby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They discontinued the cans?! I've been able to find them, but they're definitely not as common so she's been getting the perfect portions a lot. I don't think I've really found a wet food she doesn't like, aside from I think we tried one of the gravy packs from Fancy Feast once and she didn't seem to care for it that much. I bought her a can of Fancy Feast last night and she devoured it. I just want to make sure that when I'm rotating foods, I'm not compromising on quality! I really should start looking at Chewy...maybe I'll pick up a few cans that you mentioned at the store to make sure she likes them before I order big packs! Another problem we have is she is a grazer, so I give her some wet food in the morning and at night, but she never makes it through a whole 5.5 oz before it's time to throw it out (I usually give it around 3 days in the fridge and heat it up again before feeding it to her).

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can tell you from experience, definitely test to see if she likes a food before buying a quantity. And even then, don't feed her the same thing all the time. My cat will eat pretty much anything, but do NOT give her more than, say, two days of the same thing or she will start to leave it.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it the Sheba pate that she won't eat? My cats won't eat the pate now that it's in plastic. But they love the Cuts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

permanentruby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is it the Sheba pate that she won't eat? My cats won't eat the pate now that it's in plastic. But they love the Cuts.
Yep, it's the pate usually that she grows bored of! She'll pick at it a little bit, but she's definitely not too happy about it. I suspect she also dislikes the narrowness of the portioned containers.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The plastic must be affecting the taste of the pate, or else they changed the recipe. I bought a few cans that were left at the store and my cats ate those, but they will not eat the pate in the plastic.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, they are discontinuing the cans and just using the plastic perfect portions.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be careful when you open the Sheba in the plastic. I just cut my hand and it's bleeding all over the place. When you break the two sections apart, the edges are really jagged and it cut me. I guess I'll have to open it when it's still together and not break it apart. Or maybe wear gloves. This is ridiculous, they need to bring the cans back!