She Seems Like She Doesn't Like Playing With Me!

Crystaljanie511

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Sookie is an absolute dream pet! She never has accidents, she's loving, friendly, social and smart. She loves playing with a few balls I got her (some are plastic with a bell inside and the others don't make noise but they aren't plastic & she can put them in her mouth. I attached a pic of one). I also have one of those toys that are attached to a stick so I can play with her (I also attached a pic). For some reason, everytime I try to play with her with it, she starts meowing like crazy. But not in a joyful way~its more so like she's frustrated with me. I don't just tease her with it, I let her actually grab the toy all the time. What could be the reason for her meowing at me like that? I always say she doesn't like how I play with her...I'm only half kidding. Is it possible that maybe she DOESN'T like playing with me??

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Crystaljanie511

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I read somewhere that laser pointers give cats anxiety ()~Im not sure how much I believe that. I would like to have one interactive toy where I can play with her also. Thanks for the advice!

LuvDeezKittez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would also make playtime a good time to break out the treats. Make it rewarding to interact with you and she'll soon be looking forward to playtime.
treats.jpg

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read somewhere that laser pointers give cats anxiety ()~Im not sure how much I believe that. I would like to have one interactive toy where I can play with her also. Thanks for the advice!
If they cause anxiety, 90+% of us on here are bad cat parents, and all the people that give them great reviews on Amazon aren't picking up on it either. I don't know another toy that gives your average cat quite as good of a workout. As far as interactivity, fortunately or unfortunately, most toys are interactive. For example, sure your cat will bat a crumpled ball of paper by herself...until it rolls under something, or they get bored in 30 seconds. They stay enthused a lot longer if you pick it up even before it gets hidden under something and throw it. Its MUCH harder to find a toy that doesn't require you to work at it...that is another thing that is kind of nice about a laser pointer -- if you want, you can sit and point it at a wall 10+ feet away.

Last edited:

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just make sure to give her a treat at the end of every laser session so that she feels like she's accomplished something.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some cats just have a different model of playtime. She might not like wand toys and prefers the ones she bats around. My Mom's cat is like that. He absolutely ignores 90% of toys but has a few he loves to play with. Even those ones he only plays with occasionally when he feels like it. Pretty much the only time I've seen him try for a wand toy is when he gets jealous of my cats playing and decides it just be fun since they like it.

Go for what she likes and stock up on those toys.

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you tried sprinkling the toys with catnip?

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cats can be really picky about the type of toy that they like or the way that they want you to make that toy interesting. My first cat liked the cat dancer no matter what, and liked it best when it was "flying". Juniper prefers for me to drag it slowly across the ground for her to pounce on, and goes nuts when it 'hides' behind and under things. So try a few different ways of moving the toy to see what she likes.

Juniper also spends quite a lot of time just stalking the toy. She isn't really moving or running around, so it might not look like playtime, but if you clook closely, she's really intent on the toy, and totally zoned in. If your cat is meowing in response to the toy, she's engaging in some way, at least....