She Pissed Outside Her Litter Box Again

Cheerio&Yeti

CatsCatsCatsBacon
Kitten
Purraise
I swore she was all potty train. I clean litter box everyday and when I miss one day, she goes and Piss on a towel.

I wondering what this could be a mental problem? I swear I rub her noes in to her mess, and then she walk up and wanted to snuggle. I love her, and don't have the heart to get rid of her. I confused.

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Please dont rub your cats nose in her urine :( it doesnt work, it doesnt "teach" them anything. They have no way of equating their own being cruel and forcing their nose into pee, with "dont pee outside the box". All they know is youre hurting them.

Your cat may just like a clean box. They dont want to step in waste anymore than we do. My cat will pee outside her box if its not clean, so i just make sure i scoop daily, and if she makes a mistake i understand shes an animal who doesnt reason the wY that we do. Dealing with occasional messes is just part of having a pet.

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ps-youre lucky she still wants to snuggle with you after you do that. I assure you if you keep it up, she may just keep her distance from you, not knowing if shes going to get affection or aggression.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry you are having litter box issues with your cat. :alright:

Is she an adult? Or a kitten? Kittens can occasionally have litter box accidents.

If she's an adult, I think she was trying to tell you that her litter box needed to be cleaned. :sigh:

I know sometimes it's easy to say "It's late, I'll just clean the litter box tomorrow", but most cats are picky about having a clean litter box, so it really is worth it to keep them clean. Some cats even prefer to pee in one box and poop in another.

If you think there will be other times that you just won't be able to clean the litter box daily, maybe put down another litter box, so that way she'll have an unused one available.

And though it might work with dogs, sticking a cats nose in their urine won't mean anything to them, as cats don't really respond to discipline.

Here are some TCS with more info on the topic that might be helpful:
How Often Should You Clean The Litter Box?
Cats And Discipline Don't Mix