She doesn't like west food???

ncarpi75

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Me again!!

Every Saturday I treat my girls with wet food (Fancy Feast). I split the 3 oz can between the both of them. However, Stevie only ate it the first time I gave it to them. Now, she won't eat it at all! I tried different flavors, different locations, etc... Nothing is working! She'll sniff it, but then walk away! I just bought a different brand (Whiskas) so I am hoping that helps because she eats her dry food without any problem!!

I am not worried about it, I just feel bad that Layla gets the treat and she doesn't!!
Layla really goes nuts for it!!! Has anyone experiences something similiar? Any suggestions??

Thanks as always!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Keep trying... I roated brands for Kandie ( she gets eagle pack pro pack nutro natural balence meow mix felidea merrick innova mixed with raw when she is fussing about raw chn for the 6 th day straight).... Zoey will eat Meow mix ( which amazingly is good quality ) and eagle pack.sometimes innova and nutro..

I suggest going to a pet store and trying a can of each brand they have

sunnicat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one, Cassie, who will not touch wet food. I've tried every brand, every flavor, she doesn't care. Since she eats plenty of dry food, I just have to console myself with the fact that she is getting her nutrition there.

The other two girls, Sophie and Luna, get wet and dry. Lately, they have decided to become suddenly finicky, and I'm trying to find a brand and/or flavor that they like.

Just keep trying! You'll either find something she likes, or she'll just be like Cassie, one of those who prefers her food dry.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Festus is kind of funny with treats. She always comes when I call them for treats, but often won't eat them. Sometimes I think it is because she thinks she was meant to be the queen bee, and doesn't want to gobble with the commoners! LOL! But sometimes, even if she is the only kitty nearby, she won't eat the treats.

She also prefers to eat off the floor, so if she does get a treat she likes, and she is up on a chair, she has to jump to the floor with it before eating it, and sometimes by the time she gets to the floor, piggy Garfield will steal it from her. I'm surprised he isn't fat...because when I give treats I give a lot so everyone has a chance to get some if they want it, and he always eats a lot!

But sometimes it is just them being a mysterious cat...so the cat who acts one way for months, will suddenly change...just to keep their humans wondering.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Oliver WILL NOT touch wet food... which is ok by me really as I'm a typical poor college student (although I'm poor cuz I spend all my money on my animals, haha) and I can free-feed him dry kibble, so I dont get bugged at all hours for food... as long as your kitties drink enough water, its not a big problem... I guess some cats just dont like wet food - the only thing close that Ollie will eat is his occasional tuna treat that he gets when I make anything with tuna in it (I know it's not the best for him, but BELIEVE ME, he turns into a devil spawn if I try to avoid giving him any once he smells that I'm using it....) You can still try all different brands and such, but if she still doesnt like it, maybe give her some of her favorite kitty treats when your other is eating her wet food - it's not like your offering it to one and not the other, so if she doesnt like it she's not really missing out, hehe

sirpurr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have the same issue with my 3 cats. My male, Sir Purr, will meow when he hears the can opener, as he knows a can of wet food may be the end product and he loves it! But my 2 girls couldn't care less. One, Zappa, likes crunchy treats and my other female, Sammi, looks for catnip as her treat.
Stevie will let you know what treat she "fancies"!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ncarpi75

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am going to try Natural Choice this weekend.... My fingers are crossed!!

fatkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Gizmo refused to touch wet food for a MONTH. Every day I put it down and Sasha gobbled hers down, then went and ate what Gizmo didn't even touch. Then one day Gizmo tried it and liked it, and now she's usually the first one screaming at me in the morning. I put wet food (either Nutro pouches or the 3oz Nutro Max cans) out twice a day, and they clean up every last drop of gravy now. They are also more active and Gizmo is starting to finally lose some wieght. Vet says her target weight is 12 pounds, but she was at 19 last time we weighed her!

Amber

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree - keep trying. Wet food is very important for cats' urinary tract health so it's important to keep trying till you find something he'll eat fairly consistently. Cats are better off with wet food as their main diet and dry food as a treat.

ncarpi75

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just picked up Nutro pouches so I am going to try them next. Right now, I have them on dry food daily and wet food as a weekly treat. I was under the impression that this type of diet is fine. They drink a lot of water so why is a wet food daily diet better? Sorry for the ignorance! This is all new to me!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your not ignorent

Your saying something that has been drummed into us over the years..

recent research has proven wet food is better than dry for cat s.... mainly cause it is closer to what a cat was designed to eat ( i will spare you the graphics)

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've tried to get Harley to eat wet food too, but he will eat about 4 bites, and then he's DONE!

Next time I go to Petsmart I'm gonna try to get some different brands, I'm trying to cut back on the free feeding, plus I know that wet is much better for them - he doesn't drink much water - so I'd like to try more wet just for that aspect as well

I hope that you find a brand that your kitty likes - good luck, let us know how it goes and what brand works!

ali012281

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Keep trying... I roated brands for Kandie ( she gets eagle pack pro pack nutro natural balence meow mix felidea merrick innova mixed with raw when she is fussing about raw chn for the 6 th day straight).... Zoey will eat Meow mix ( which amazingly is good quality ) and eagle pack.sometimes innova and nutro..

I suggest going to a pet store and trying a can of each brand they have
My girl doesn't do wet food either but this sounds like a really good idea. I've always wanted to give her wet food as a treat on the weekends. I'll have to pick up a few different brands when I check out different dry foods for her.

ncarpi75

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

I hope that you find a brand that your kitty likes - good luck, let us know how it goes and what brand works!
Thanks! Please let us know if you discover a brand that works as well!!

Originally Posted by sharky

recent research has proven wet food is better than dry for cat s.... mainly cause it is closer to what a cat was designed to eat ( i will spare you the graphics)
Thanks for sparing me!!
I guess I have no choice but to feed them wet food... I want my girls to be as healthy as they can be!!

Originally Posted by Ali012281

My girl doesn't do wet food either but this sounds like a really good idea. I've always wanted to give her wet food as a treat on the weekends. I'll have to pick up a few different brands when I check out different dry foods for her.
Please let us know which brand works for you!!