Shaving

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I will agree on LONG hair cats with some shortening of the coat. I know persian breeders who do "lion cut" on their non-showing persians.

But I believe the original topic was shaving a SHORT hair cat - which is not necessary.
Yes, you're absolutely right! I guess the thread had evolved to cover more ground, but I agree that a shorthaired cat does not need to be shaved unless, as you mentioned, there is a medical need.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thedivinemisst0

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
HI, thanks for all of your opinions
It is nice to find a message board with people so well informed and compassionate about cats!!
anywho, i read the comments and decided not to shave them until today when the heat topped out at a humid 97 with what felt like an additional 10 degrees inside the apartment. My spoiled babies eat very expensive cat food, loads of toys, and had their overies removed, so i currently cannot afford a professional groomer, so I took some clippers and went for it. They weren't pleased at first, but after about a quarter ways through i didn't even have to hold them in place, my big one even licked my hand with the razor
By the time i was through they looked less like lions and more like lepers but they are happy, active and nolonger spend their days lying on their backs during daylight hours. It's like i have my cats back!!!
thanks again!!!

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom just have her cat, Thumper, shaved because his fur was so knotted and matted. When she would try to brush them out, he would bite and scratch. She just had him shaved on Tuesday. He has been acting very strange since then. Can a cat be embarrased? Because now all he does is hide from everyone.

Peace,
Sophie

jenluckenbach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been a pet groomer (and cat parent) over 20 years. And YES, you can shave a cat.....long or short coated. It may, or may not help THEM feel cooler (they simply won't tell you
) but most cats, including my own, seem to enjoy the feeling after they've been shaved.

It is MUCH safer to allow a (cat experienced) professional do the job as cat skin is especially easy to cut. And always shave them SHORT because the clipper attatchments that leave more hair on the bosy are much more likely to cut a cat's skin. (it is simply different that grooming a dog)

I have shaved some of my own short haired cats..........One because he is super prone to getting hairballs (sheds like a banshee) and the other cat minded the heat a LOT until I took his coat off. I know they don't cool themselves in the same way as humans do, but I really think certain cats will just feel better.