Shaving off Mats?

asissi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dear all,

I have a huge problem with big mats.

My cat often stays for shorter periods at a pet boarding when I'm away for work. The place is great however he has very long fur and always comes back with big mats. This time it is really bad and I can't seem to comb them out and there are no good cat groomers where I live. Would it be possible for me to shave him where the mats are? I have seen the vet do it once when we lived in another country and it didn't seems too difficult but the vet here won't do it.The big mats are located on his lower back and close to the tail. Does anyone have any tips or advices on how to do it?

Manny thanks,

dragulescugirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I did this once and it was an ugly job but I got it done. 

I bought an electric shaver from Petco that has gaurds. You need those gaurds until you get better at shaving. 

The shaver had multiple sizes for length, so I went over the area with a lager guard until the mat was smaller and then I went in with the smallest to cut it out.

Go slowly and with short strokes, the razor will catch in the mats and it isn't comfortable. Also move in the direction of the fur, not against it. 

Also, be very careful if using scissors - I accidentally cut a chunk out of one of my cats. It was on the top layer of skin so it wasn't painful after the initial nip but it healed as a scar and hair didn't grom back on that line. 

I've never used a conditioning shampoo - but maybe it might help? 

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have wondered this too. I have an older cat who needs some shaving. Are the ones at the pets stores. Different the human shavers?

spiffykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The best clipper for shaving mats is called a Bravura. It is a relatively quiet clipper. You can set the blade at #10 (you'll understand what this means if you buy the clipper.)

The thing about shaving mats is that you need to make sure the clipper blade doesn't get too hot. It can heat up if you shave for a long time. The blade has to be flat against the skin, or you can wind up cutting the skin. this is less likely on the back. Skin on the stomach and underarms if VERY thin. Back skin is thin but not as thin.

Cheap clippers will not work as well as professional clippers. 

I would keep on looking for a cat groomer. There is skill involved in doing this.