Shaving Matted Fur

DaddysKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Missy kitty is a long hair and this time of year she gets awful knots in her fur. I have brought her to my vet for grooming in the past and she gets the "lioness cut", but it's too late in the year for that now (getting cold here at night).

So, I have a fairly high end clipper by andis with a #10 blade and for the life of me I can't get it to cut through those knots. What's the trick here? Do I need to get right down to her skin? I'm hoping to shave her selectively just to remove the matted clumps.

Fortunately, Missy loves being groomed and she doesn't run from the clippers.

FreedomKitty17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you cut the matted bits with scissors? I have 1 longhair and he rarely gets his hair matted, but when he does, I just snip it out with scissors. It may not look perfect, but it keeps him warm and clean. If you do this though, be careful not to accidentally cut her. keep away from her skin and cut little by little until the knots are gone.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
If you want to shave her, please take her to a professional groomer. Cats have much more delicate skin than humans or dogs, which cuts easily.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you want to shave her, please take her to a professional groomer. Cats have much more delicate skin than humans or dogs, which cuts easily.
I agree about the use of scissors. It is way to easy to cut the skin bad enough to require stitches unless you know what you are doing. The clippers, in my experience have to be put under the mat and if it is close to the skin, you could hurt the cat. It is best to have a groomer do it. Best to avoid mats by daily combing and regular bathing - if the cat will allow.

FreedomKitty17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Be careful if you bathe him though, some cats don't need it because of their fur type, (it can dry out their skin) and most hate it, so you will likely get lots of scratches. I never give my cats a bath, but that's just me. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DaddysKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm aware of the risks of scissors, and only use them to snip a clump that's nowhere close to her skin. I also figured out how to successfully use the electric trimmers - by attacking the mat from underneath until it's reduced to the point where I can get close to her skin and finally get it out.

Fortunately Missy loves being groomed so that makes it easier. It's far less stressful for her for me to groom her than for anyone else to do it.