Shaving before frontline applyment

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
we have two med hair cars, Tom and Bindi, I decided to Flea treat them today, Tom has hidden mysteriouslly so I'll have to wait on him,

Both cats have thick fur, do you think its okay to shave a bald patch between the sholders before applying frontline to the shaven skin, alot of it gets on the fur and I wonder if it still does any good after that.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My understanding is that the length of fur makes no difference in the success of the treatment. The natural oils on the skin and the hair cause it to spread over 48 to 72 hours. That's how my vet explained it.

And I have two Old English Sheepdogs, in their full long coat, who do quite well on their treatment with Frontline. Their dosage is based strictly on their weight, no extra for the long hair.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Panther, I would not shave the cat. But you can use a fine-toothed comb after applying if you want to help spread it faster.

I do that sometimes with Keno when I put the BioSpot on her - she really doesn't like it, but the combing spreads it a little faster